• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

'The Covenant of Water,' by Abraham Verghese

BellyBuster

Lots of people like this book. It's on Oprah and NY Times best lists. I'm halfway through and the book can be a bit confusing. I got to the middle of the book and started again because I couldn't understand a new character named Digby who just showed up out of nowhere. Its a long book and seems to drone on and on a bit. I like the parts that talk about life in Parambil India in the early 1900s. The author describes the setting and characters so well that I feel like I'm in the book. However when the book talks about Digby born in Scotland and who travelled to India to practice medicine, it's a bit boring.

covenant of water.png

Wow, that was fast. A 12-year-old marrying a 40-year-old made my skin crawl when I first started the book. But I did appreciate that they did not consummate the marriage until she was 16. I had to remind myself that is how they rolled in the 1900's. I loved the way the author described the town, the family history, religion, wounds, and baggage. My favorite part was the description of the elephant in Chapters 3 and 4 and the history of the land. I also enjoyed seeing JoJo and Mariamma's relationship unfold and how the dead mother's ghost was a presence in Mariamma's care for JoJo. I enjoyed the first 9 chapters for sure.

Back