• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

the dreaded protein shake

Well, Brenda, wish me luck. I am mentally preparing myself to drink my first Premier Protein drink. I mean, seriously, I am practically immobilized at the thought of going to the refrigerator and getting one of these shakes out and drinking it. I had coffee and breakfast this morning so I have to wait until my stomach evacuates into my bowels in order to fit the liquid in. That gives me a fine opportunity to procrastinate. I haven't ever had a protein drink that was already prepared. I have two or three cans and packages of protein powder that I have created smoothies from and they also have a high protein content, but they tend to be high in calories and have a lot of volume – too much for my little pouch.

I am also going to make some Magic Milk today. It's been awhile since I've had it and I really think I need to pound down the protein in order to heal from this sinus infection that's been going on for weeks.

I am extremely grateful you mentioned it in your post, especially your admission that you just can't get enough protein unless you have one of these. I have been so protein starved for months now because of being self quarantined and having a poor appetite. I would not have been able to figure out what to do about this unless you helped me, which you did. Thank you, Brenda.

I drink a premier every morning. I pour a small coffee and a vanilla or Carmel premier over ice. It’s like getting an iced coffee from Starbucks. I’m able to drink it all and I feel like I’m getting a treat. It’s such a habit now that I can’t imagine starting my day without it.

I skip the protein shake yesterday because my lungs are really congested and I have a lot of phlegm in my head. Milk contributes to that. So I had tuna and vegetables and a lot of horseradish to clear my sinuses. My respiratory problem right now is pretty bad. But I did talk to my doctor at length on the phone and she felt pretty confident that this was just the progress of a very bad cold and secondary infections. That is very common for me. So I'm not freaking out but I am backing off milk a little bit.

I skip the protein shake yesterday because my lungs are really congested and I have a lot of phlegm in my head. Milk contributes to that. So I had tuna and vegetables and a lot of horseradish to clear my sinuses. My respiratory problem right now is pretty bad. But I did talk to my doctor at length on the phone and she felt pretty confident that this was just the progress of a very bad cold and secondary infections. That is very common for me. So I'm not freaking out but I am backing off milk a little bit.
Glad to hear that your doctor just thinks this is your kind of typical cold and nothing to be alarmed about. I noticed my allergies kicked into high-gear yesterday (our first 60 degree day in months) so in addition to my Zyrtec daily, I'm now back on Benadryl as needed. I know it's terrible for you but all that helps. :(

thank you so much for telling me that and also for remembering that I hate Benadryl. Sometimes it feels like allergies and in fact that's what I thought it was at first in mid March.

I'm actually positive that if I took a daily walk I would not be suffering so much and I would heal faster. But at least I'm getting the protein and that's important. This would be prime YMCA time for me, but of course, they have to be closed as well.

I read in the news today that two of the five or seven states where Governors lifted the stay at home mandate hundreds of people got sick overnight. As much as much as I hate I hate what is happening right now to my friends and my family and me and to all the people who have had surgery postponed and to all the people who are going batshit crazy in their houses, I am grateful for my Hardline governor who is refusing to allow full participation until June.

At my point in my mental health right now, that month feels like an eternity. But I really feel sorry for mothers on Mother's Day because they are not going to have one this year.

this might this might actually not be such a bad thing. I am surrounded by groups of women on various platforms could just make a huge deal out of beings mothers. They never consider how agonizing it is for infertile couples who will not ever be able to celebrate Mother's Day or maybe Father's Day.

I had some friends who were infertile and they adopted two beautiful girls from India. They also adopted two amazing corgis. I actually was doing an interview with them for a publication I worked for at the time. Color me stupid. I actually said to the woman "well you know I hear that sometimes when people go through the adoption process, suddenly they become pregnant!" That is an urban myth straight out of a Hallmark movie.

she read me the she read me the riot act and I deserved every second of it. Infertility is not easily conquered and in most cases it is never conquered. I think of myself and how many times I didn't 8get pregnant even though I was not being being a good girl where birth control was concerned. I never succeeded in getting pregnant until I became pregnant with my only child. I had been warned that, as a result of using a dalkon shield, I was most likely infertile. I was lucky and they were wrong. When I wanted to get pregnant, I got pregnant.

And that's what happens to most people. If they want to be parents, they generally become parents when they feel like it. So this Mother's Day, while we are in isolation, maybe call Epsom infertile friend and say what a great mother they are to you. Two mothers who adopt, two mothers who had to give their children away, to mothers who take in foster children, two mothers of fur babies.

you you probably don't recognize this woman, but I bet you will recognize the next photo of her:

Her name Fumiko Hayashida. She was a political activist until she died at 103. I was lucky to know her because of my mother-in-law. They were raised as Neighbors on Bainbridge Island. In this picture fumiko and her infant child have been tagged for identification purposes and ripped from their homes to go to one of the many Japanese internment camps

i slso had some other friends whose baby was stillborn at 6 months. I remember her painfully long lament and grieving process over this child. She asked me, "why do people just tell you to try again without even thinking about what happened. I had a death in my life and the death was my child. I don't think I will ever get over it." she and her husband made sure to have a funeral for the baby that never took a breath.

And also make sure you tell parents who made a choice not to have children which came out of their commitment to zero population or just a commitment to a lifestyle. They are brave and smart.

So happy Mother's Day to the mothers and Happy Mother's Day to those who choose not to have children and Happy Mother's to those who cannot have children. And maybe extra love should go out to mothers with fur babies. They weren't expected; they were selected.

Attachments

• Snapshot_20080301_3.jpg
    Snapshot_20080301_3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 628x471.jpg
    628x471.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 87
Back