• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

The First Step

Hi all! I had my first consultation with a surgeon this week. I was a little discouraged because my insurance requires a 6 month period before surgery. But I after I wrapped my head around it, I realized the method to the madness. I know it’s going to be a lot of changes for me. This will give me time to really understand and commit to the changes before I even have the surgery. I’m really nervous though. I’ve struggled 20+ years with my weight and have always been unsuccessful long term. I have no problem tracking, measuring portions or planning. The results come SO slow for me so then I get frustrated and give up. I’m hoping with this I’ll see results a little more quickly which will keep me motivated to continue the hard work. I have 13 year old twin girls that are active. My husband is active with them and I really want to join them in the fun! Scared and excited for what this next year will bring. Happy I found this forum because it seems like there’s a lot of support and ideas.

Hello again and welcome! My insurance also required 6 months pre-op visits etc. It's frustrating to wait that long, but I think long term it's really beneficial. You can't gain and ideally they want you to lose some. The doctor and nutritionist visits give you extra accountability (but in a positive way) and you can use those 6 months to get into some of the healthy habits you'll need after surgery.

Back