• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

The importance of vitamins and protein!

eladams2015

I want to highlight the importance of getting your vitamins and protein in, no matter how far post op you may be. I have been on the bariatric journey since 2013, with my revision to RNY in 2019. I have had issues with vitamin levels my whole adult life for various reasons. Ironically, I have only had issues with Vitamin D since beginning my journey. Until now... I have been very lax in my regular supplements and protein since my plastic surgery in December. I did not think too much of it since I have been doing IV drips for vitamins. The IV drips are likely the only saving grace at this moment because the vitamins that I have been receiving are the only normal levels I have. In under six months, I have gone from completely normal labs to protein and iron levels that have me listed as malnourished. This is my own fault, to be clear. I know how to eat, I know what supplements I should be taking... I know my body, and I know that I have not been the steward of it I should be during the last few months. I have made a million excuses; now I have to stop ignoring, take care of myself (more than just physically), and get back on the right track!

I just want to be sure that everyone understands how quickly our bodies can get out of sorts when we don't do the things we know to do. Make sure that you are doing the follow up care you need and staying on task with vitamins and making sure that what goes into your body is actually the fuel it needs!

I want to highlight the importance of getting your vitamins and protein in, no matter how far post op you may be. I have been on the bariatric journey since 2013, with my revision to RNY in 2019. I have had issues with vitamin levels my whole adult life for various reasons. Ironically, I have only had issues with Vitamin D since beginning my journey. Until now... I have been very lax in my regular supplements and protein since my plastic surgery in December. I did not think too much of it since I have been doing IV drips for vitamins. The IV drips are likely the only saving grace at this moment because the vitamins that I have been receiving are the only normal levels I have. In under six months, I have gone from completely normal labs to protein and iron levels that have me listed as malnourished. This is my own fault, to be clear. I know how to eat, I know what supplements I should be taking... I know my body, and I know that I have not been the steward of it I should be during the last few months. I have made a million excuses; now I have to stop ignoring, take care of myself (more than just physically), and get back on the right track!

I just want to be sure that everyone understands how quickly our bodies can get out of sorts when we don't do the things we know to do. Make sure that you are doing the follow up care you need and staying on task with vitamins and making sure that what goes into your body is actually the fuel it needs!
Wow that's crazy about your vitamin levels! So sorry but glad you know what to do better from here. Good advice.

Back