• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

The Last Supper

Mimi G

All along I have planned to have a big dinner at Outback the evening before my pre-op diet started. Well, it starts the day after tomorrow, and I've had an "ah-ha moment".
I'm acting like I'm losing something important, like my life will somehow be "less" without freedom to eat whatever I want. I just realized that the opposite is true! Would I be mourning the removal of a cancerous tumor? A diseased gall-bladder? Heck no!!!!
Friday is the beginning real freedom. I'm taking control of something that has controlled me for almost 40 years. It has robbed me of many experiences and has been a source of great anxiety.

So, tomorrow night I WILL CELEBRATE. I will celebrate being home and sharing a simple meal with my children. I will be grateful for my doctor, for the support of others, and for HOPE.

LIFE IS GOOD and GETTING BETTER !

Goodnight,
Mimi

What a wonderful way to look at it. I enjoyed a "last dessert" and felt guilty afterward. Good luck!

Good for you, that's the way to think, you are on your way to such a beautiful journey, lots of work but lots f joy, you only dream of being able to do and soon you will be doing, I'm very happy for you

Awesome way to look at this Mimi! I'm just heading into my 2 week pre-op and you're post is perfectly stated. Good luck with your surgery!

So here's my question. My best friend's birthday party is three days before my surgery, I know I'm supposed to be on a liquid diet two weeks before what should I do? Also, If my surgery is August 20 when should I really start going on this liquid diet.

Great way to put things into perspective. Food has been my emotional comfort friend. In a sense I am losing a friend, but gaining control of my life without food controlling it. I have become more aware of triggers and am working on turning them around. Celebrate life and the journey we are all on.
:cool:

Back