• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

The most significant NSV to date!!!

TraceyT

This is my MOST significant NSV to date!!!

Ok - so I went to see my New PCP yesterday - everything looked fine. She got me scheduled for a couple of appointments for things I needed, and they drew blood.

Today I had my 8 month check up at the weight loss facility. You check in and hurry up and wait. Once they call you back the first thing you do is step on the scale. For me - at this stage of the game its truly not a big deal. I put my purse down and I took off my jacket (my cell phone, car keys, scanner was in the pockets of the jacket) other wise I'd have left it on. The nurse saw me taking my jacket off and she closed the curtain and handed me a hospital bag. I just looked at her for a second and said - "Ok - I give up - why do I need a bag?" She said well I figure you're going to have to get naked to be weighed - let me know when I can come in and get your weight. I laughed - and told her no need to leave I'm as naked as I'm going to be - and I'm not even taking my shoes off. She laughed and said ok. She wrote my weight down and showed me to my room.

Again - you hurry up and wait. So the NP came in asked me the standard Covid questions and then opened my chart on the computer. She was looking at the results from all the blood work I'd had done the day before. Her expression changed and she looked at me and asked me to step on the scale again. So I did - she said excuse me and left.

She was gone for about 10 minutes and came back with the Dr. that did my surgery. We said hello and I'm blunt like a butter knife - So whats the issue that you needed the Dr. He asks me to step on the scale. back on
the scale I went. This time I asked what my weight was - 138.4. I said ok - sounds about right. Dr McNatt said - you don't understand that's too much weight lost. He said my GOAL weight was 156-176 - I grinned and said - that was YOUR goal for my weight - not mine.

He proceeded to say - well
that's not all the news we have for you. He looked at me and said you are NO LONGER an INSULIN DEPENDENT diabetic! I've been using insulin for over 29 and half years. My A1C is 6.4. It's never been below 7.9 EVER. It's been as high as 13. I'm BELOW what the medical profession calls the "pre diabetic" stage. I was floored! I've been taking insulin at least 3 times a week since surgery. I no longer have to take medication for my kidneys - to help protect them from all the insulin.

The wonderful news kept coming! My cholesterol levels are all NORMAL! I'm no longer taking cholesterol medication.

When we were deciding which surgery would be best for me Dr. McNatt told me that most people who have been insulin
dependent diabetics for as long as I had - would probably never be completely free of inject-able insulin. He said he had never had a patient that became insulin free after surgery that had been a insulin dependent diabetic more than 12 years. He said it was truly amazing.

I had diabetic cataracts removed in my
early 40's.

I can't count the number of times I've been hospitalized with DKA - diabetic ketoacidosis. My worst episode began on 12/10/2012 - I was sick with what I thought were flu like
symptoms. I was resting at home - my girls hadn't gotten on the bus for school yet. My mom came to take them to school for me. My three youngest girls were 11, 10, 9. My helper Hayleigh was 10. She wanted to stay home and take care of me. I attempted to stand up and passed out and broke 3 ribs when I landed hard on the rocks at the fireplace. I don't remember much from there. I was rushed to the hospital where my wonderful husband was told to call in the family - because I was in DKA Coma and my prognosis wasn't good. I apparently came down pneumonia in the hospital and I was septic. My husband and my girls stayed in the waiting room all night. By 12/15/2012 I was having issues breathing - and I was still in a DKA Coma - I was put on a respirator.

My husband was told on 12/20/2012 that he needed to consider taking me off the respirator. He told the dr. he just couldn't do it. We had 3 young girls at home that needed their mom and 2 older girls that depended on me. My husband was asked to sign a DNR order on me and I was 47 years old. He refused. He talked with my parents - our girls and told them what the dr's had said. Me recovering was minimal - less than 3% because of the coma, being septic, years of insulin use - my body was shutting down. My husband, my parents, and my 2 oldest daughters decided they would take me off the machines 12/26. My first memory after all of this started was my husband talking to me. I heard him just as clear as I'm looking at this screen - he said Babes you have to wake up - I'm sure I've done something at home you're going to want to kick my ass for. You just need to wake up and kick my ass, I broke your jewelry box that your granny left you. He said I squeezed his hand. The dr told him it was a reflex. I squeezed his hand again. This time I didn't let go. I came out of the DKA Coma 12/26/2012 they removed the tubes and all I wanted to know was the day because I had to wrap Christmas gifts. It didn't sink in that I had missed Christmas yet! I went home 12/31/2012 and we celebrated Christmas 01/01/2013.

Daily Diabetic Medication:

2000MG Metformin 2x a day - I take the max and then some
80 units Toujeo 1xd a day
40 units Humalog 2x a day
50mg Losartan 1x a day
2 sensors Libre Freestyle 1 every 14 days - for blood sugar monitoring. Before this I was checking my blood sugar levels 7x a day - 49 hole poked in my fingers every week for YEARS.

This has been a truly blessed day for me and my family!

Oh my God! Your story is just so inspiring! I have never heard of such a tremendous recovery. Your combination of symptoms is very similar to what my brother suffered, and he died in his early sixties after being an invalid for 9 years. Congratulations to you and thank you for being here and for helping to inspire others. I am just so completely choked up I can't even say more except I'm so glad you're alive and well! I wish I could give you a huge hug!

Oh my God! Your story is just so inspiring! I have never heard of such a tremendous recovery. Your combination of symptoms is very similar to what my brother suffered, and he died in his early sixties after being an invalid for 9 years. Congratulations to you and thank you for being here and for helping to inspire others. I am just so completely choked up I can't even say more except I'm so glad you're alive and well! I wish I could give you a huge hug!

Being diabetic is a very serious disease. It can cause problems that a lot of people are unaware of.

My husband left work early today and said I just needed to be sure I heard you right on the phone. He said your no longer as sweet as you used to be - baby I've known that for years - you just HAD to hear from a man with Dr. in front of his name! We celebrated to say the least! Thank you Diane!

Ok - so I went to see my New PCP yesterday - everything looked fine. She got me scheduled for a couple of appointments for things I needed, and they drew blood.

Today I had my 8 month check up at the weight loss facility. You check in and hurry up and wait. Once they call you back the first thing you do is step on the scale. For me - at this stage of the game its truly not a big deal. I put my purse down and I took off my jacket (my cell phone, car keys, scanner was in the pockets of the jacket) other wise I'd have left it on. The nurse saw me taking my jacket off and she closed the curtain and handed me a hospital bag. I just looked at her for a second and said - "Ok - I give up - why do I need a bag?" She said well I figure you're going to have to get naked to be weighed - let me know when I can come in and get your weight. I laughed - and told her no need to leave I'm as naked as I'm going to be - and I'm not even taking my shoes off. She laughed and said ok. She wrote my weight down and showed me to my room.

Again - you hurry up and wait. So the NP came in asked me the standard Covid questions and then opened my chart on the computer. She was looking at the results from all the blood work I'd had done the day before. Her expression changed and she looked at me and asked me to step on the scale again. So I did - she said excuse me and left.

She was gone for about 10 minutes and came back with the Dr. that did my surgery. We said hello and I'm blunt like a butter knife - So whats the issue that you needed the Dr. He asks me to step on the scale. back on
the scale I went. This time I asked what my weight was - 138.4. I said ok - sounds about right. Dr McNatt said - you don't understand that's too much weight lost. He said my GOAL weight was 156-176 - I grinned and said - that was YOUR goal for my weight - not mine.

that's not all the news we have for you. He looked at me and said you are NO LONGER an INSULIN DEPENDENT diabetic! I've been using insulin for over 29 and half years. My A1C is 6.4. It's never been below 7.9 EVER. It's been as high as 13. I'm BELOW what the medical profession calls the "pre diabetic" stage. I was floored! I've been taking insulin at least 3 times a week since surgery. I no longer have to take medication for my kidneys - to help protect them from all the insulin.

The wonderful news kept coming! My cholesterol levels are all NORMAL! I'm no longer taking cholesterol medication.

When we were deciding which surgery would be best for me Dr. McNatt told me that most people who have been insulin
dependent diabetics for as long as I had - would probably never be completely free of inject-able insulin. He said he had never had a patient that became insulin free after surgery that had been a insulin dependent diabetic more than 12 years. He said it was truly amazing.

early 40's.

I can't count the number of times I've been hospitalized with DKA - diabetic ketoacidosis. My worst episode began on 12/10/2012 - I was sick with what I thought were flu like
symptoms. I was resting at home - my girls hadn't gotten on the bus for school yet. My mom came to take them to school for me. My three youngest girls were 11, 10, 9. My helper Hayleigh was 10. She wanted to stay home and take care of me. I attempted to stand up and passed out and broke 3 ribs when I landed hard on the rocks at the fireplace. I don't remember much from there. I was rushed to the hospital where my wonderful husband was told to call in the family - because I was in DKA Coma and my prognosis wasn't good. I apparently came down pneumonia in the hospital and I was septic. My husband and my girls stayed in the waiting room all night. By 12/15/2012 I was having issues breathing - and I was still in a DKA Coma - I was put on a respirator.

My husband was told on 12/20/2012 that he needed to consider taking me off the respirator. He told the dr. he just couldn't do it. We had 3 young girls at home that needed their mom and 2 older girls that depended on me. My husband was asked to sign a DNR order on me and I was 47 years old. He refused. He talked with my parents - our girls and told them what the dr's had said. Me recovering was minimal - less than 3% because of the coma, being septic, years of insulin use - my body was shutting down. My husband, my parents, and my 2 oldest daughters decided they would take me off the machines 12/26. My first memory after all of this started was my husband talking to me. I heard him just as clear as I'm looking at this screen - he said Babes you have to wake up - I'm sure I've done something at home you're going to want to kick my ass for. You just need to wake up and kick my ass, I broke your jewelry box that your granny left you. He said I squeezed his hand. The dr told him it was a reflex. I squeezed his hand again. This time I didn't let go. I came out of the DKA Coma 12/26/2012 they removed the tubes and all I wanted to know was the day because I had to wrap Christmas gifts. It didn't sink in that I had missed Christmas yet! I went home 12/31/2012 and we celebrated Christmas 01/01/2013.

50mg Losartan 1x a day
2 sensors Libre Freestyle 1 every 14 days - for blood sugar monitoring. Before this I was checking my blood sugar levels 7x a day - 49 hole poked in my fingers every week for YEARS.

I'm so thrilled for you, what amazing news all around!!! You're a true inspiration! :)

early 40's.

50mg Losartan 1x a day

Tracey,

I have tears in my eyes reading your post. What a wonderful day and wonderful news for you and your family. Coming off insulin and no longer being insulin dependent, after all those years, is nothing short of a miracle. Anyone who doubting the results of this surgery, should read your post and become a believer. Your entire story is an inspiration. I am very happy for you!!! Take care and enjoy those size 8 jeans!! Also, you went below your goal weight---awesome!

That is truly amazing and I am so happy for you. This news is going to extend your time with your family for way longer than just the weight loss could have. And the fact that your husband ran home to hear it in person is just freaking adorable. Really wonderful news. Congratulations on your hard earned success.

early 40's.

50mg Losartan 1x a day

This is amazing! I am so excited for you. A real blessing. I just joined this group today and hearing this lets me know I’m in the right place for support! Thanks so much for sharing. AWESOME

Tracey,

I have tears in my eyes reading your post. What a wonderful day and wonderful news for you and your family. Coming off insulin and no longer being insulin dependent, after all those years, is nothing short of a miracle. Anyone who doubting the results of this surgery, should read your post and become a believer. Your entire story is an inspiration. I am very happy for you!!! Take care and enjoy those size 8 jeans!! Also, you went below your goal weight---awesome!

Thank you Roseanne! It'll definitely be a day I'll always remember!

That is truly amazing and I am so happy for you. This news is going to extend your time with your family for way longer than just the weight loss could have. And the fact that your husband ran home to hear it in person is just freaking adorable. Really wonderful news. Congratulations on your hard earned success.

Getting this news makes me wonder how people can have doubts or questions about having WLS or not. If it weren't for the surgery - this would have never been possible. I'm very thankful and blessed that I had the surgery. Thank you Missy!

This is amazing! I am so excited for you. A real blessing. I just joined this group today and hearing this lets me know I’m in the right place for support! Thanks so much for sharing. AWESOME

Thank you very much Lovely! You're right - this is the right place for support through all the varied stages the awesome life altering journey of WLS! I truly wish you all the best on your journey!

Back