• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

The path to a "NEW" Life

hlambert

Hello everyone! I am glad to finally find a blog where I can get the opinions of others that are getting reading to make this journey or all ready have ;)! I have had weight problems, since graduating from college. I have tried exercising, diets, and diet pills and none of them worked. I also had a goiter and had to have the left side of my thyroid removed. And, definitely since then, I have been fighting a losing battle. I have already went to the inital appointment, done blood work, and the chest x-ray. I still have to meet with the psychiatrist, nutritionist, have the sleep study done, and an upper GI with contrast.

All of the referrals have been made and I am waiting on the appointments. If I definitely decide to have the surgery, then it will be in June (b/c I teach school). My mother and daughter went with me to my appointment. So, she, my sisters, and my stepfather know about my intentions. I haven't quite discussed it with my husband, because I don't know how he would quite feel. My stepfather was excited and on board until, he heard about the cons of the surgery and he is a little bit apprehensive now. I really think that this would be a great decision and definitely would better my life. I have a family hx of diabetes, heart disease, etc. I already am on blood pressure medicine and don't want to have to deal with any other medical problems.

It's look like everyone on here is very informational and like the personal experiences, that you all share. So, I will continue to read on to try and decide what to do. :confused:

There are inherent risks with every surgery. Just take your time and do your research. No sense in jumping into anything you are not comfortable with. There is a wealth of information on the Internet so you might consider comparing all of the different types of WLS. The coordinator at my surgeon's office sent me emails with very detailed information and graphics for each of the surgeries available. If your surgeon has this available maybe you could sit down with your hubby and look at these together.

Trust me I know that there are always risk. I have been researching as much as I can. I am not jumping into anything. I started this process in January and finally had my first appointment with the doctor last Wednesday. When I was there, the doctor did go over the different types of surgeries, what they involve, the outcomes, and risks. Of course,there is alot of valuable information on the web that I could share with my husband. Thanks for the advice.

My husband is kind of neutral at this point, but he keeps his opinions to himself about it. He knows it is something I need and want to do. Be strong and stand up for yourself and make sure he knows how important this is to you and your health.

Back