• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

The "Prevacid" diet

LisaLisa

My surgeon put me on Prevacid to treat some mild reflux and a baby ulcer prior to surgery. I have taken three weeks of it and have been off of it for more than seven days. I reported the issue to my surgeon a week ago and he said to discontinue it and start Prilosec. Well, this body had not recovered so I did not start it while suffering since. I have a call into the nurse (the recording says they will get back to me in 24-48 hours!!) so I'm waiting for direction. The BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) has not done much for me. Anyone got any ideas while I wait for the nurse to get back to me? Am I being unreasonable by expecting a quicker response?

I did have the fun of shouting "hemorrhoids" several times to a shelf stocker in the local grocery store who simply could not understand what or where the Preparation H was. Yeah, it was the mask that mumbled it? sigh.

I just realized I did not mention that the "issue" is diarrhea! :oops:

Last edited:
I was on ondansetron and omeprazole because of my surgery. I took them both for a long time and that is the only thing that would make me not feel like vomiting all the time. However, I discovered by going to a bariatric endoscopy list, that these are not meant to be long-term and in fact the pain was indicating that I had a busted stitch and a loose staple floating around in my pouch. He removed the staple and repaired the stitch. I haven't had nausea since.

But more important than that is that a lot of drugs you might be taking were linked to Dementia in a 10-year study. There was a 50% occurrence which is unbelievable. I don't know if ibuprofen is on the list but that was a drug that I shouldn't have been taking and no one who's had gastric bypass surgery should ever take Ibuprofen. But here's a better resource for locating dementia related drugs:

Benadryl is also on that list. I have noticed by reading posts that a lot of people here are taking a lot of Benadryl. So was I, for sleep. I have a whole bunch of Benadryl laying around here still because I won't take it for sleep anymore.

Benadryl is also on that list. I have noticed by reading posts that a lot of people here are taking a lot of Benadryl. So was I, for sleep. I have a whole bunch of Benadryl laying around here still because I won't take it for sleep anymore.
[/QUOTE]

Have you tried Melatonin for sleep? I take that at night to help sleep - it seems to work for me.

I take 10 mg of melatonin plus 1 Unisom (generic), plus one zolpidem tartrate if needed. Sometimes I take a 2nd Unisom if I'm not asleep after an hour, but only on nights when I haven't taken the z.t.

I don't drink or take any recreational drugs, including marijuana. I do take 2 mg clonazepam if i have a panic attack during the day. I have severe anxiety disorder and a crazy racing heart & thought process. It feels like 5 lanes of traffic trying to merge into one. This goes on all day and night. On days when I take the sedative, I don't also take the z.t.

I suffer from PTSD from early-onset, chronic physical & mental child abuse--my mom's version of discipline. I go through long periods of unrelenting depression and fear. Insomnia seems to run in my maternal side. I'm in the third generation, and I've seen it in my son since he was 4 years old. I also walk in my sleep and dissociate during the day.

I rarely sleep more than 4 hours in a row without waking up, unable to get back to sleep for an hour or longer. As i get older, it takes longer for the Rx meds to clear my organs the next day, which leaves me in a state of mild confusion, unable to perform with accuracy.

I've been in the mental health system since 1974. Unfortunately, even with therapy, I still suffer self-destructive thoughts much of the time.

I resolved years ago that I would never use my prescribed meds to destroy myself, as I had when I was younger. I knew it would be a gross violation of the trust of my emotional support team to abuse those meds they had entrusted me with. Those meds were given me to save my life.

So I'm fine with my use of meds to sleep. This really hit home with me after getting my first CPAP machine and actually sleeping through the night, realizing I'd been sleep-deprived for years.

It took many years of struggling with self-acceptance to adjust to a life including self-care. I had to develop an "inner parent" to fight against my mom's hateful behavior. It saddens me to confess my biggest response to her death was relief.

I struggle with a sense of resentment that I didn't get to have a happy childhood. But I allow myself to feel proud of my own parenting and to witness how beautiful and free my son is because I chose not to allow the intergenerational suffering to continue.

But I recognize that my insomnia is also a fear of sleeping, being helpless to protect myself. So if I take a pill, it builds a bridge I cross from fear to blissful surrender.

I know that's a lot of words to explain something that's so elementary, but it would take 10x that to explain the eating disorders that brought me to discover this group. And there's no pill to help with that.

I take 10 mg of melatonin plus 1 Unisom (generic), plus one zolpidem tartrate if needed. Sometimes I take a 2nd Unisom if I'm not asleep after an hour, but only on nights when I haven't taken the z.t.

I don't drink or take any recreational drugs, including marijuana. I do take 2 mg clonazepam if i have a panic attack during the day. I have severe anxiety disorder and a crazy racing heart & thought process. It feels like 5 lanes of traffic trying to merge into one. This goes on all day and night. On days when I take the sedative, I don't also take the z.t.

I suffer from PTSD from early-onset, chronic physical & mental child abuse--my mom's version of discipline. I go through long periods of unrelenting depression and fear. Insomnia seems to run in my maternal side. I'm in the third generation, and I've seen it in my son since he was 4 years old. I also walk in my sleep and dissociate during the day.

I rarely sleep more than 4 hours in a row without waking up, unable to get back to sleep for an hour or longer. As i get older, it takes longer for the Rx meds to clear my organs the next day, which leaves me in a state of mild confusion, unable to perform with accuracy.

I've been in the mental health system since 1974. Unfortunately, even with therapy, I still suffer self-destructive thoughts much of the time.

I resolved years ago that I would never use my prescribed meds to destroy myself, as I had when I was younger. I knew it would be a gross violation of the trust of my emotional support team to abuse those meds they had entrusted me with. Those meds were given me to save my life.

So I'm fine with my use of meds to sleep. This really hit home with me after getting my first CPAP machine and actually sleeping through the night, realizing I'd been sleep-deprived for years.

It took many years of struggling with self-acceptance to adjust to a life including self-care. I had to develop an "inner parent" to fight against my mom's hateful behavior. It saddens me to confess my biggest response to her death was relief.

I struggle with a sense of resentment that I didn't get to have a happy childhood. But I allow myself to feel proud of my own parenting and to witness how beautiful and free my son is because I chose not to allow the intergenerational suffering to continue.

But I recognize that my insomnia is also a fear of sleeping, being helpless to protect myself. So if I take a pill, it builds a bridge I cross from fear to blissful surrender.

I know that's a lot of words to explain something that's so elementary, but it would take 10x that to explain the eating disorders that brought me to discover this group. And there's no pill to help with that.

Have you ever tried EMDR to treat the trauma? If not I suggest looking into it to see if it might be a fit for you. Additionally if you are having PTSD issues that impact your sleep a good med to consider is prazosin. This med is often used in PTSD to help reduce nightmares and things like that to increase a person's sleep functioning. Non addictive and usually only given in 1-2mg doses.

Back