• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

the sleeve

I'm going to make a radical statement here, but remember, it's only my opinion.

The VSG, which removes most of the stomach along with the parts of the organ that contribute to the breaking down of food, as well as removing the part that actually put out the hunger signal and leaves a pouch may not be a good choice for anyone looking for permanent weight loss. The actions of RYGB and DS are far more complex and do more to safely digest food slowly, where it can do the most good. and they rarely fail or break.

I see the sleeve as a first step when the obesity is so bad, you need to get fat and scar tissue removed and lose a lot of weight before RYGB. After that, it's my opinion you should have Conversion surgery, to RYGB or DS, which permanently alter your natural digestive system and never need replacing.

I don't wish to offend the sleeve people, but look at what happens. With VSG you don't change much except to make a pouch and remove the stomach. Over time, you can defeat that because there's no way for it to guard your digestive system. A lot of people think a smaller pouch will work miracles, but the fact it, many fail after two years.

If you have a chance, and if the procedure is safe for you at your weight, go for the gold. RYGB has been around for 50 years and has evidence in medical journals to show that it works. You might as well have the band as the sleeve, and as time has proven, the band has a high risk of failure and horrible damage if it slips off or breaks and releases its contents into your abdomen, causing type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, hypertension and high cholesterol. A very high cure rate for diabetes has been reported with this surgery peritonitis, which will kill you.

Many people have been successful with the sleeve. But they don't know how much more successful they might have been with RYGB or DS.

And in some cases, the sleeve is an easy procedure for surgeons who offer no nutritional advice and make millions of dollars by specializing in it. Usually, they don't care about you once you hit your goal.

Now let's hear from the sleeve advocates.

I wholeheartedly agree! I wish that I had gone to bypass when I had my band removed, but my surgeon told me the sleeve was better (multiple reasons, including that I was no longer obese), but never once indicated how high the incidence of GERD complications or the regain issue. I am in a lot of groups online and know many people that have had WLS personally. I cannot name one person that has not "out smarted" the sleeve and had regain in the long term. To be fair, I do know a couple people that have "out smarted" RNY as well, but far fewer.

Your surgeon has it backward. . I was only in the 240s when I had RYGB. Sleeve wasn't really available. Fortunately for me. Since it was the best decision I ever made in my life.

It It is extremely hard to get into the space to do a gastric bypass surgery when a person weighs 400 lb and has tons of fat and Scar Tissue built up around all the digestive organs and up into the lungs. . So most surgeons do the sleeve. As a way to help them lose the first hundred lb and then they converted to gastric bypass.

I may be biased, but I am also objective. . I see. The r y g b is the gold standard and I am not alone in thinking that. It is the gold standard for bariatric surgery and every qualified bariatric surgeon will tell you that. The sleeve is just fine. But it is not the solution. The gastric bypass surgery is.

Super obese people are at Great risk of not surviving rygb because of the amount of time they need to stay under anesthesia. So the sleeve is done laparoscopically and quickly. The weight loss is very good. But the process is maybe a little bit more painful for sleeve people.

But don't take patients' words for it. Go to the major bariatric clinics and read about their results and go to the NIH. And read the scientific papers.

Back