• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

The trial period so far

Carolyn270

I have tried the pre op diet a week. I failed at it because it left me feeling weak and my sugar low at the end of the day. I will experiment again next week. It'll be the last week before I have to face it head on. If there is any advice I welcome it. It's not an All liquid diet because I get to eat a lean cuisine at dinner. I have a question: even with the pre op diet are snacks a no no?

I have tried the pre op diet a week. I failed at it because it left me feeling weak and my sugar low at the end of the day. I will experiment again next week. It'll be the last week before I have to face it head on. If there is any advice I welcome it. It's not an All liquid diet because I get to eat a lean cuisine at dinner. I have a question: even with the pre op diet are snacks a no no?
When I did my pre-op for two weeks was basically the same. The small meals I could have at dinner I broke up throughout the day. Made it easier.

All doctors' guidelines are different. I only had to do a clear liquid diet for the 3 days before surgery.
Right, you are. I noticed that from other posts. I do have to do the all liquid the day before surgery and nothing after midnight. I will just have to watch my sugar closely, eh?

My surgeon had me on an all liquid diet for 7 days before surgery, with no liquids past midnight the day of. Something that might help was that during that week, I boosted all liquids with protein. The medical non flavored protein. Whether I had broth, soup, a shake or water, I was adding protein to keep my energy levels up. It worked very well for me and I was able to go to work up until my surgery date with no feelings of weakness or fatigue. Now, that isn't to say that it didn't get old really quickly...but was manageable. I was also able to have sugar free fudge pops as snacks as well as they are considered liquid :) I hope your surgery goes well! Best wishes!

I had to do a 2 week liquid diet before surgery! I made it 10 days, then decided on day 11 that I would have a chef salad once daily to keep the hunger at Bay. The last night I splurged some and ate something surgery knowing I wouldn't be eating it again! The surgeon said my liver looked good during surgery, which is one of the reasons for the liquid diet! It will get easier, hang in there.

I wouldn't do the liquid diet until I had to, lol when the time comes it will be hard enough,but you will have an end game in site and will do it, and yes you can have snacks, like sugar free jello, that's yummy, good luck with your new journey

Not only the diffence in surgeon determines your diet, but so does what type of surgery you are having. I had gastric bypass and had to be on protein shake only diet for 2 weeks. It sucked, but the outcome was well worth it.

Back