• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Things nobody tells you

Qaterra

"Of course post surgery was a struggle. I was unable to wipe or clean myself for the first week due to the large vertical surgical site. I was so embarrassed to have to ask for help from hospital staff, but I had no choice. "

The above is a quote from an rny patient. She had an open procedure, not laparoscopic. Still, I have heard/read this same thing from some who have had laparoscopic. That the twisting and turning required to clean yourself in the bathroom can be very uncomfortable for the first few days.

There is an inexpensive solution. It's a gadget.

Long Reach Comfort Wipe, around $7 at Amazon; also available elsewhere, I'm sure.

I bought one for my son (mgb 8-10-12) before his surgery. He was mortified (I'm not sure why; he knows no susbject is off limits) and laughed at me. After his surgery, he wasn't laughing anymore. He did return the item, though, as he never used it. He said he just didn't need it, though he could see how some might.

Hi Q, That is kind of embarasing to ask someone to wipe you:rolleyes:, I don't remember having that problem but it was uncomfortable to twist and turn for a while. Laughing, coughing, rolling over or getting up from a chair or bed were painfull for a couple of weeks but it slowly went away. Thanks for the info, I am sure it will help some folks out there, I know I didn't even think about that. :cool: Tom

I couldn't do much of anything myself in the way of hygiene while in the hospital because I had IV's in the top of both of my hands. They left the IV in that stopped working (it kept tripping the alarm) and put the new one in the other hand. I begged and pleaded to have the non-working one taken out but was told they needed it "just in case". How stupid was that? The vein was collapsed and it didn't work!!! I finally took it out myself the night before I was discharged.

Absolutely, you can get the Long Reach Comfort Wipe, as well as other brands and models from medical supply companies. Expect to pay from $5 to $60 plus shipping.

I have often thought that, if I ever got much bigger, I would appreciate something like this. You can bet when I have my wls, I plan on buying one, just in case.

Back