• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Thinking about Bariatric Surgery

Anisah

I am thinking about having bariatric surgery. I would prefer the sleeve, it is less invasive. I have to do a 6 month weight management program and lose 10% of my body weight in order for my insurance to pay for an evaluation for surgery.

I am 45, and had figured I would just be short and fat all my life! I never thought I would think about surgery. But my back and left leg have been giving me problems while I work, and they are getting worse. I want to be able to play with my son, ride bikes with him, things like that. I think he is kinda embarrassed to be seen with me in public. Not feel like people are laughing at me because I am so fat and get tired so easily.

I am kind of scared of surgery, though.

Anisah

As someone who is your age and had both band and now bypass surgery, I understand how scary surgery is. Personally for me, I wish I would have made the decision for bypass eight years ago in stead of trying the band first. Either way tho, surgery is scary and a huge decision. I can tell you that I have NOT regretted my decision at all. I am four and a half months post op, 84 pounds lighter, on no medications, and feel as energetic as I did in my 20's. I'm not going to lie, surgery of any sort is just a tool and takes a lifetime of commitment, but it's worth it!!!

I am thinking about having bariatric surgery. I would prefer the sleeve, it is less invasive. I have to do a 6 month weight management program and lose 10% of my body weight in order for my insurance to pay for an evaluation for surgery.

I am 45, and had figured I would just be short and fat all my life! I never thought I would think about surgery. But my back and left leg have been giving me problems while I work, and they are getting worse. I want to be able to play with my son, ride bikes with him, things like that. I think he is kinda embarrassed to be seen with me in public. Not feel like people are laughing at me because I am so fat and get tired so easily.

Anisah

Anisah
Hi. This post sounds exactly like my situation. I'm 45yrs old 5'5" 270pounds. I'm looking into informational seminars at hospitals. I have 2 boys 19 & 13 - I use to be very active with, not anymore though. I also have a 3yr old horse that is a dream come true- I should be training him but I'm too out of shape to do it. So frustrated, ashamed, exhausted, hopeless when it comes to weightloss. Wondering how you're doing & if you have any suggestions.

Go for it, I wanted it done 10 years or more ago and could not afford it, but i was finally able to do it this past december and i am so happy, I wish i would have been able to be more active with my sons, but now they live on their own, i missed that opportunity, i also had the bypass, i dont think bypass is much different than the sleeve, except you will lose more weight with the bypass, i had very little pain afterwords, and so happy i finally made the decision to have it done

I was like you. Scared to even do a consult. I finally bit the bullet and scheduled an appointment. After that, there was no question in my mind that this is what was destined to happen. It is easier to tell loved ones (although I only told a few) after the appointment because you have all of the facts and bullet points to make your decision the correct one in their eyes as well. At least go in for a consult and get information. You'll be out a copay, but that is all you've got to lose. I had my surgery on May 19 and couldn't be happier that I did.

Back