• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

This is the year

Angel Mom

Hi everyone....I'm new! I just started my journey toward a healthier me. Honestly...I'm a bit overwhelmed! I have a whole binder to read, digest , and follow. Plus all the diet changes and lifestyle changes. But I believe this surgery is a gift for those of us who struggling obesity. I'm going forward one day at a time. Walk with me....?

Welcome Angel Mom, I second what 3momchaos said, it’s the best decision I’ve ever made. I had gastric bypass surgery on 7/20 and had lost 72 pounds. I’ve struggled with my my and tried everything to lose weight. I’ve adopted a clean eating plan and have embraced it as a healthy lifestyle change. It is overwhelming at first, but each day gets easier.

Hi Angel Mom, welcome to our group. It all can be overwhelming when you start this journey but one step at a time and you will get through all the pre-surgery requirements. Feel free to ask questions or voice concerns. I wish you well along the way!

Welcome, Angel and congrats on beginning your journey. It can be very overwhelming, especially in the beginning. IDK what your insurance requires but it can take a while to get to surgery, so you have a little time to get the information you need and implement the changes you want to make. Take your time as it's more important that the changes stick than that you learn/make them all at once. We're all here if you need us.

Hi Angel Mom - I know exactly what you mean, so much to read learn and memorize
But do not worry about it - do what you can when you can and it will all work out - I am 3 1/2 months out from RNY surgery and down 45 pounds so far
When I was pre op and learning all the changes and shopping for the changes I thought the same thing - wow this is a lot
I read somewhere - maybe even on this board that it is like driving a car - at first there is so much to remember to do and then it all becomes habit
And you don't even think about it even as you are doing it - that's how this has been for me
In just three short months it is all habit now - even the never ending vitamins !
I am 55 years old and am so glad I finally did the WLS - I looked into it about 10 years back but was not able to stick with it and lose the 30 pounds Kaiser wanted me to lose before surgery - this time around they only made me lose 20 pounds and I stuck too it and got it done - it did take me like 6 months to lose 20 pounds but that's ok I did it !
You will too and you will be so happy - just this past week at least 3 people told me how great I am looking - That feels pretty good
plus I went to the store yesterday and bought a shirt in a 1 x instead of my normal 3x and I saved the tags off the new shirt to show my family that evening !

Hi Angel Mom and welcome! Everything can be a little overwhelming in the beginning... I remember reading everything I could on WLS that I could get my hands on. Depending on your insurance and how long they require you to meet with surgeons, nurses, dieticians, psychologists, and take care of any & all pre surgical testing, you should have plenty of time to prepare. This group is a wonderful place to find support! Good luck to you as you begin your journey.

Hi everyone....I'm new! I just started my journey toward a healthier me. Honestly...I'm a bit overwhelmed! I have a whole binder to read, digest , and follow. Plus all the diet changes and lifestyle changes. But I believe this surgery is a gift for those of us who struggling obesity. I'm going forward one day at a time. Walk with me....?
My doctor is suggesting gastic bypass. It's the best choice for me. I'm excited and scared. I am 66 so I am older than the normal patient but in good health. All my tests, blood work, etc. is normal. My medical team was happy with that. Now I am just doing my part and studying and learning. I m anticipating surgery in May.

Back