• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

This might take a while

Anne23

I’m thinking this whole process is going to take much longer than I anticipated and from reading other posts it seems I am not alone in the hurry up and wait category! I got my referral from my family doctor - and the wellness center in my area has had the referral since last week but hasn’t gotten to entering me into the system to set up my first appointment. Which makes me think once they do, i won’t be seen anytime soon if they are this busy. Once I decided I wanted to take this path, it’s felt like everyday I wait is a delay to move on with my life. And I don’t even know if I will be approved! Lol! I can’t imagine how antsy I will be if I AM approved and have a long wait! Also in the meantime I have no idea what to eat - I am not actively trying to loose weigh because my BMI is borderline on the lower approval end. But I am trying not to gain incase I’m not approved. Just a weird limbo. Just sharing my feelings. I know I just need to be patient and in the meantime I am researching everything so when I am approved I am ready!

Most insurance requires either 3 or 6 monthly visits with a weight loss doctor before they will approve you for surgery. I saw the doctor for the first time in August of 2019. I was scheduled to have surgery April 13th, if that gives you an idea how long the process takes for a 6 month requirement. I did not have my surgery until June 22nd, due to CoVid cancellations. Of course not every program is the same so maybe yours will go faster. It IS hard to wait for that first appointment so I hope that they get back to you quickly.

If you have Kaiser they move pretty fast - they have an actual Bariatrics department
Depending on how fast you lose the required amount of weight - I think you could do everything in as little as four months or so
Took me about 6 months from first meeting to surgery day - most of wait time was on me to lose 20 pounds

Missy and Desi thank you for sharing your timeline! Oh yes I fully anticipate some sort of contingency timeline. I am hoping MAYBE some of my efforts with my family doctor will count - I was put on a phentermine/topomax combo for a stretch and also worked with a dietitian - but I know how insurance can be, and will not be surprised if they want me to start from scratch. I figure maybe at the minimum it will help fatten my case file in general...pun intended??? ;) lol - I don’t have Kaiser (but am familiar)...I have Harvard Pilgrim via UHC.

My first appointment with my surgeon was last year July 03, 2019 and my surgery was approved for December 2019 but since it was around Christmas I chose to wait and then Covid hit. I got my surgery on July 28 2020. In my experience my surgeon wanted to make sure I was committed and losing weight during the process. I weighted 352pounds when I started the process and the day of my surgery I weighted 294. Don’t stress about the time frame, believe me it will go by so fast.

I’m thinking this whole process is going to take much longer than I anticipated and from reading other posts it seems I am not alone in the hurry up and wait category! I got my referral from my family doctor - and the wellness center in my area has had the referral since last week but hasn’t gotten to entering me into the system to set up my first appointment. Which makes me think once they do, i won’t be seen anytime soon if they are this busy. Once I decided I wanted to take this path, it’s felt like everyday I wait is a delay to move on with my life. And I don’t even know if I will be approved! Lol! I can’t imagine how antsy I will be if I AM approved and have a long wait! Also in the meantime I have no idea what to eat - I am not actively trying to loose weigh because my BMI is borderline on the lower approval end. But I am trying not to gain incase I’m not approved. Just a weird limbo. Just sharing my feelings. I know I just need to be patient and in the meantime I am researching everything so when I am approved I am ready!

Hi Anne -

It took my insurance 6 moths once I was sent to the weight loss clinic. My insurance also said that if I gained weight I would be moved to the end of the line and have to start my 6 months over again. Also if I lost weight - they could withdraw their approval for WLS permanently or make me wait a year before they would approve.

As far as what you eat - that's totally your call. But it seems like your insurance is like mine I would attempt to stay within their acceptable weight requirements.

You GOT this! Best of luck on your new life altering journey!!

I called for my appointment in January. I had my initial dietician visit at the end of January and counselor visit in February. Those 2 had to sign off on my meeting the surgeon, which is a requirement for their office, not the insurance. Then covid hit, which postponed my March dietician appointment and surgery consult. Also, my insurance changed requirements. So instead of 1 counselor visit, it turned into a counselor consul and 3 mental health appointments. This really was beneficial despite extending my time because they help mentally prepare for surgery and life after. I had 8 total dietician visits. Plus there was the different testing during those time. After the insurance approved the surgery I still had 3 more appointments for my surgeon to complete. I have no comorbities, and my BMI is right on the border as well. Before my first appointment I intentionally gained a few pounds to add a buffer. Since then I’ve lost more than I expected, and am very close to 40 BMI. Even though the insurance has approved it my patient advocate says that if my BMI is under 40 at time of surgery the insurance can revoke it. So dumb, but she’s seen it happen. I won’t have a liquid diet because my surgeon doesn’t want to see that happen to me. ALL of that being said, I wouldn’t trade all of this for anything. It’s a long path, but the more time you have to mentally prepare the more success you will probably be. My surgery is on the 26th, and even though I’ve been saying since March that I’m ready, there’s still times when the food demons creep into my brain and tell me I can’t do this. I just stop and think back to my counseling sessions and how I can stop negative thinking and focus on the positives and everything in my control.

Hi Anne -

It took my insurance 6 moths once I was sent to the weight loss clinic. My insurance also said that if I gained weight I would be moved to the end of the line and have to start my 6 months over again. Also if I lost weight - they could withdraw their approval for WLS permanently or make me wait a year before they would approve.

As far as what you eat - that's totally your call. But it seems like your insurance is like mine I would attempt to stay within their acceptable weight requirements.

You GOT this! Best of luck on your new life altering journey!!
Took me 10 mos. because the nurse kept losing my paperwork-I wouldn't go to Carillion- She is Dr. Lucktoh's nurse - her name is Missy.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance that I am not alone in this little waiting game ☺️ I took Diane’s advice and found a receptionist that I am trying to befriend...she was the first one I spoke with and now when I call to nag...I mean, politely follow-up, I ask for her specifically (hehe!). I had hoped to be in the appointment book by Friday but nope! I am going to call again tomorrow morning (Monday). Sigh...I’ll be sure to update once I get a date!

Most insurance requires either 3 or 6 monthly visits with a weight loss doctor before they will approve you for surgery. I saw the doctor for the first time in August of 2019. I was scheduled to have surgery April 13th, if that gives you an idea how long the process takes for a 6 month requirement. I did not have my surgery until June 22nd, due to CoVid cancellations. Of course not every program is the same so maybe yours will go faster. It IS hard to wait for that first appointment so I hope that they get back to you quickly.

So this is what is going on with me. I am not sure if this has ever happened to anyone else but here goes. My first appointment was in August 2019, and my insurance requires 3 Dr visits, and of course all of the other prerequisites that are typical to bariatric surgery and I've have completed them all and the nurse that handles insurance at my Dr office informed me that she would be submitting my information and it could take up to 2 weeks for an answer. I waited until the 13th day and called to check status and was informed that "Rhonda you are 9th in line to be submitted to insurance??? What the crap? Has anyone else ever heard of this? Thanks in advance for any and all input, and good luck to everyone else as well.

So this is what is going on with me. I am not sure if this has ever happened to anyone else but here goes. My first appointment was in August 2019, and my insurance requires 3 Dr visits, and of course all of the other prerequisites that are typical to bariatric surgery and I've have completed them all and the nurse that handles insurance at my Dr office informed me that she would be submitting my information and it could take up to 2 weeks for an answer. I waited until the 13th day and called to check status and was informed that "Rhonda you are 9th in line to be submitted to insurance??? What the crap? Has anyone else ever heard of this? Thanks in advance for any and all input, and good luck to everyone else as well.

Hi Rhonda -

My first appointment was in July 2019. My surgery was done 01/22/2020. There were several people at the Weight-loss Clinic I went to that did nothing but insurance. They were always busy. This was all prior to COVID.

I'm speculating here - but it's possible that with a lot of companies having remote employees it may have greatly slowed down the insurance approval process. It took about a week for my insurance approval. I know it's easier said than done - but it may take more time right now as companies are trying to go from remote workers back to office workers.

Hi Rhonda -

My first appointment was in July 2019. My surgery was done 01/22/2020. There were several people at the Weight-loss Clinic I went to that did nothing but insurance. They were always busy. This was all prior to COVID.

I'm speculating here - but it's possible that with a lot of companies having remote employees it may have greatly slowed down the insurance approval process. It took about a week for my insurance approval. I know it's easier said than done - but it may take more time right now as companies are trying to go from remote workers back to office workers.

Thanks so much, Tracey. I hadn't even thought about that. It would have been nice tho if they'd mention this to me at the time, instead of that I was good to go and they'd be filing my insurance for approval and i should know something within 2 weeks. However, like you said it is very likely that they weren't thinking about everything going on, and that was the usual response. Thanks again for your time.

Thanks so much, Tracey. I hadn't even thought about that. It would have been nice tho if they'd mention this to me at the time, instead of that I was good to go and they'd be filing my insurance for approval and i should know something within 2 weeks. However, like you said it is very likely that they weren't thinking about everything going on, and that was the usual response. Thanks again for your time.

You're very welcome Rhonda!

One of my dear friends works in insurance approvals for a local hospital and she and I were talking about her transition from home office back to her "real" office. The hospital she works for has decided to allow all of the insurance workers to decide if they want to continue working from home instead of coming into the office again.

Hopefully they'll get you all straightened out sooner rather than later! Best of luck on this new journey!!

Back