• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

TMI? flatulence monster is living in my gut!

Wow, I've been here for a million years and eaten similar foods since I had surgery 17 years ago. But I have NEVER had such horrible (smelling) flatulence in all that time. I mean, it's so bad air freshener is powerless and I literally had to leave the house with my door ajar (and it's COLD here and raining cats and dogs).

So forgive me if this is a gross question, but has anyone else ever experienced this? I should mention I had RYGB back in the day when it was major surgery, with a vertical scar from navel to sternum. I was in bed for most of two weeks.

But like so many others here, it changed my life in every possible positive way... except this sudden onset of flatulence that I've never experienced in my whole life. I'm not having any bowel problems and the waste is the usual stuff, but oh my god, what's in there? I ate my usual dinner, I drank my usual water and there were no changes in my routine.

I'm seriously wondering if anyone has had something like this happen to them. I'm actually thinking of calling my doctor.

I guess it's not as big a problem as being morbidly obese, but really, any natural lax will help, from mineral oil to fiber laxative. Post operative responses are varied, but since the bariatric diet is so drastic, it's best to get ahead of it, since you won't be getting natural fiber from green, raw veggies.

Back