• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

To Drink (Protein) or not to drink...

That is the question. For years I drank a protein shake for one or sometimes two meals a day. Usually just breakfast or dinner, or half a scoop for a snack. I'm debating whether or not I should do that anymore. Do any of you have advice on this? (PS: I have 2 brands I love, so it isn't a matter of me disliking them...)

I've cut way back on my protein shakes but I still enjoy them as a breakfast when I don't have my other go to breakfast which is a high protein cereal with blueberries. I more or less have them for convenience and because I am still stocked up on them. However, I follow Dr. Weiner on YouTube and according to him, protein isn't the top of his list after 6 months out. Here are some videos you might want to check out:

A Better Protein Shake

Eating a pound of vegetables after sleeve surgery

And this one is very long but to get to the question about protein start watching at the 12:30 timestamp:
Q & A: Dr. Weiner answers question about protein needs

I do not drink any protein shakes. I DO add a scoop of protein powder to my overnight oatmeal (makes about 5 servings) and a scoop to my sugar free pudding (makes about 8 servings). It doesn't add all that much, but with the high protein milk I use it gives me a little boost. I will be stopping that once this batch of protein is gone. I have always thought that if you can get your protein through eating natural food, that is the best way.

I've cut way back on my protein shakes but I still enjoy them as a breakfast when I don't have my other go to breakfast which is a high protein cereal with blueberries. I more or less have them for convenience and because I am still stocked up on them. However, I follow Dr. Weiner on YouTube and according to him, protein isn't the top of his list after 6 months out. Here are some videos you might want to check out:

A Better Protein Shake

Eating a pound of vegetables after sleeve surgery

And this one is very long but to get to the question about protein start watching at the 12:30 timestamp:
Q & A: Dr. Weiner answers question about protein needs
He is great he was my surgeon.

Hi guys! I really struggle with getting enough protein as it seems after just a few bites of solid proteins and I'm full. After the surgery I found that all of the recommended protein shakes, and the off-the-shelf brands were all just way too sweet and nauseated me. I'm nearly 3 years post-surgery and looking to shed about 15 pounds that I've put on since COVID, and really struggling to get it off.

Hi guys! I really struggle with getting enough protein as it seems after just a few bites of solid proteins and I'm full. After the surgery I found that all of the recommended protein shakes, and the off-the-shelf brands were all just way too sweet and nauseated me. I'm nearly 3 years post-surgery and looking to shed about 15 pounds that I've put on since COVID, and really struggling to get it off.

Have you tried using unflavored protein and putting it into coffee, tea or soup? Or sprinkling it into other foods?

That is the question. For years I drank a protein shake for one or sometimes two meals a day. Usually just breakfast or dinner, or half a scoop for a snack. I'm debating whether or not I should do that anymore. Do any of you have advice on this? (PS: I have 2 brands I love, so it isn't a matter of me disliking them...)

Hi Caprice. Your profile indicates you haven't been here since June 8th, so I'm not going to reply at this time. If you're still here, give us a heads up. A lot of people have responded to you already.

Back