• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

To tell or not to tell?

Hey everyone!

I have a dilemma. I am very very new on my WLS journey and I am trying to decide whether to tell people that I will be having surgery (when I get everything settled) or not say anything at all. I come from a very good and strong family who have always supported me in everything I wanted to do, the problem is I have never done anything this major before and I am not sure if they will be supportive this time. Also I (shamefully) used to make fun of WLs patients with my friends to make myself feel better, even though I was secretly envying them. So my friends have no idea either. I am alone right now (except for you all). And I am completely conflicted. Can anyone relate?

I am start everything too. i have all my tests and appointments lined up, but i have to wait 4months (for a med supervised diet). I have told some of my fam. my mom and dad cause i live with them, a couple aunts and cousins. My family is pretty supportive but some are very outspoken about why i shouldnt get it. so if and when you tell be prepared for any neg comments that might come your way. hope this helps

Tell those closest too you, and let others find out through the results they see. In my opinion if youre gonna do it own it dont hide from it, ask those you tell to pray for you and help you stay encouraged Sandra

Terrislife-Congratulations on your decision to start a new and healthier journey :) As for telling or not telling you need to do what makes you feel comfortable. This is YOUR journey and if you choose to share how you are going to get there then tell people. Or perhaps wait for a while after surgery until people start noticing your weight loss. A lot of people think WLS is a picnic and think the pounds will magically disappear. That couldn't be father from the truth. You are going to have to make wise food choices for the rest of your life in order to be successful. Because of this you are in charge of your destiny and are going to work hard. So if you decide not to tell anyone don't feel obligated since YOU are the one who is going to have to do all of the hard work. Take your time making your decision and know that you have the support of everyone here in the forum :) :) :)

Outside of my sister and nephew who live with me i have told no one. Others know i am having surgery but only for repair of my GI tract. I dont want opinions of others. I guess it is what you feel you you can handle. In my circle everyone is opposed so why go there. You are in charge.. Elaine

Back