• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Today, I am 1 year old!

Taxman

A year ago right now, I was finally moved from the post op/ recovery to my room (the rooms were full and there wasn't anyone to watch me in the hall, so they left me in recovery for about 6 hours!!). In that time, I have lost the need for 1/2 of my BP meds (and my GP wants to get me off the rest ASAP), my cholesterol is below 100 and the ratio has gone from below average to excellent, so no more statins! My energy is way up, I sleep better (no more CPAP!!!). Oh, I also have lost about 120 lbs since surgery!!

It has been a series of ups and downs. Most of the time, I have felt great. Some days I get tired and a little light-headed . I am learning to listen to my body and learn what it needs. More water and protein. Add in veggies without filling up my stomach too much. Snack a little (4-6 meals a day), but watch out about poor choices.

Overall, I would do it again with no reservations. The bad days seem to be mostly mental (dealing with the mental health of my wife as well as my own cravings), the good days are all physical, which helps improve the mental state as well.

LOVE YA, TAXMAN! I remember when you arrived & it is mind-boggling to be with you now, seeing your success, especially with all your challenges!

Newcomers, do a search and read his story from the beginning. He is the very definition of a success story, and if you feel you need inspiration, you cannot do better. Thank you so much, Taxman, for sticking with this group even as others gave up and left. You have helped so many people and you may never know all their names, but they know yours.

The benefits of this group is not the responses to your own questions, but it's the sharing of the many journeys we have taken. Each journey is different, but they all have similarities. We can see how others have responded to the problems and then we can incorporate those solutions in our own lives.

I'm sure there are some "lurkers" who are getting help just by reading our posts. To those, I say: share your story so others can benefit from your journey. We don't judge, we all have "issues".

To all on the site, I say share the joys of your life. We all have some good, and we all have days where good news is in very short supply and hearing something good happened to you can give me a boost on my bad day.

Thank you all for sharing your successes and failures and listening to my successes and failures. That's what the "Support" in support group means.

Congratulations on your triumphs and to your struggles-because you are making you’re way through them and not giving in! Your success is commendable, and I hope that you’re really proud of how far you’ve come.

Congrats on a successful year! With all the other craziness of 2020, it's great that you've had this to focus on and be grateful for!

Back