• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Tomato Time

WazzuCoug

Tomatoes are rolling in now: Cherokee Purple, Carbon, Yellow Brandywine, and a 2 1/2 lbs behemoth of a Kellog's Breakfast. There is a green one in the background of the pics calls Green Giant that is fully ripe when it is green (with a tiny bit of yellow), and it is FABULOUS. We have about six other varieties too. I love this time of year.

I need to find my green tomato relish recipe. It is what makes tuna salad Tuna Salad. The pics look great. I love that you have so many varieties. Do you can them ?
We don't can them, at least not this year. We just eat a lot of fresh tomatoes and give some away. We'll eat them plain, like any other fruit sometimes, depending on the type. The Green Giants are wonderful on their own. We like gazpacho,so we'll make a few batches of that. Goat cheese and tomato omelets, tomato sandwiches, fresh salsa, I will make homemade marinara, but we'll eat it right away, or if I make extra I'll refrigerate it. We make our own tomato paste and freeze it.

What I've noticed this year (last year we didn't have much of a garden since I had my surgery mid-summer) is that now that I don't eat as much, we have a lot more left over. I can pickles, so I might add some various forms of tomatoes to my canning processes next year, but this year we are just eating them and giving some away to neighbors.

Back