• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Too much excess skin....makes it... medically necessary

Letrell

Talking about plastic surgery is a toughie for me. I'm still going through it all and although the results so far have been wonderful, the process is hell.

In Feb (2011) I had my first plastic surgery. It was an Endoscopic Brow Lift. Prerequisite for my eye lift (June 2011).

I had a peripheral vision problem. I hated my eyes..there was so much extra skin that I looked like I was sleeping all the time. The surgeries were approved without question.

The endoscopic brow lift was one of the single most painful surgeries I've ever had to recover from. Was horrible. Not so much the actual surgery. That was great. Had a wonderful surgeon and my scarring....well..you can't even see it. The process is not fun. My brow had to be removed from the skull and pulled upward, hooked onto two implant weights to hold the skin up. I looked like I had two triangles on my forehead and each one had an outline of little bebes. That's how my kids described it. I could not lay my head down flat, slept in the lounge chair until about 2 weeks ago. I still try to keep my head up, but I think it's more out of habit.

Two days in the hospital because I live over 100 miles from the hospital. 4 days of a headache from hell...then woke up day 5 and it was over. The headache was gone. The bruising was horrible. I looked like someone used me for a punching bag for about 2 weeks. Then it went from purple, black, blue, and green to that yellow and finally it was disappearing as well. I was a chameleon.

The implant hooks (for lack of better word) have all but totally disintegrated and my forehead no longer screams in pain when it is touched. End result...I needed more work. What a bummer.

I was so afraid of the 2nd surgery; the actual eye lift.

The eye lift was out-patient, done in the clinic. Same surgeon. It took some 30 mins and I had a local. I just sat there listening to the bit of chatter. When it was over I heard only one statement that mattered..... "Your eyes are absolutely beautiful." And omg...everyone agreed.

The surgeon asked for a mirror "quick before the swelling starts". I had my first look at my new eyes.

Words can not express how I felt inside. Everything leading up to that very moment became absolutely worth it. Everything. The next two weeks was bruising and a bit of swelling. But the swelling didn't last long. The bruising was nothing compared to the brow lift so it didn't bother me. Makeup worked wonders.

I love my eyes now. The skin has done just what the surgeon said it would. She didn't pull it up too tight because of my age...I just turned 54. I didn't want to look like I had 20 yr old eyes. Gravity pulls down a bit and the fine pronounced lid is still present just not so....open. If that makes sense. You can see my eye lids and I just love wearing makeup again. I hate my glasses. I want to show off my eyes. But the funniest thing is...my eyes were so bad..there was so much skin that I had to stop wearing contact lenses.

One side effect of cosmetic eye surgery is dry eyes. I have them now and contact lenses are not my eyes best friends. So I spend 99% of my time wearing glasses anyway. Go figure.

I have finally received approval for a panniculectomy and a brachioplasty. What timing for me to decide to start the topic of plastic surgery moving.

The panniculectomy is to remove the excess skin on my abdomen, the brachioplasty to remove my "bat wings". I don't have much to tell about either as I have not gone through them yet, but it looks like by March I will have them both complete. Am I nervous? Um...heck yes. I would like them both behind me and to have them over. I suppose another 3 weeks to recooperate really isn't that bad given the end result.

I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with the surgeries. I'm not sure this group is large enough for me to get any responses. But if you have had either of those surgeries, I would love to hear about them.

I’m glad you posted this Letrell. I was wondering if anyone here had any plastic surgery done. I heard it can be very painful, especially the panniculectomy. I know most insurance carriers cover panniculectomy because the excess skin folds can harbor bacteria that can cause some serious skin infections, especially cellulitus. And I know eye lifts are covered if you are having vision problems from excess skin. I wasn't aware that brachioplasty or anything else was covered but I'm glad to hear that it is after all.

I don't plan on having any plastic surgery unless I have problems with repeated skin infections. I only say this because I am such a coward *LOL*. I had a slightly chubby but athletic build in high school because I was into sports, big time. I had good muscle definition, especially in my upper arms. My idea of fun was 20 mile bike rides, baseball, hiking, swimming for hours and playing tennis in the sweltering sun. I guess I will just have to wear clothes that will camouflage any excess skin on my torso and cover my bat wings with sleeves.

Good luck with your future plastic surgeries Letrell and be sure to keep all of us posted on your progress.

Last edited:
Genetics. Gotta love em. My family is plagued with horrible upper arms. Unless a woman in the family line is 'thin' and in 'great shape' we all have developed 'batwings' as we got older. Having lost nearly 200 lbs, my arms are horrible. During the summer I sweat and get the rashes. You are so right...it's the rashes that make it medically necessary... for both surgeries.

I'll let everyone know how the two surgeries go.

I have been approved for a butt lift but they won't even consider it until 1 year has passed from the date of my release from these other two surgeries. One thing people don't really think of....extra skin on the bum. It actually hurts to sit too long.

I'm nervous about all 3 of them. My husband tells me if I make it through all these surgeries that he will spring for one final one....purely cosmetic. It seems my BMI is 6%. I sorta lost the breasts. Tiny tiny tiny. Very sad. LOL. So if I want em, I will get new ones. I think..if I can make it through all these others, I will say heck with it and do the final one.

Life is good. LOL

I am living with my batwings and apron. when I had the rny done I had already had two unrelated surgeries with devastating out comes and the idea of going under the knife again I was afraid of brain damage or anesthetic poison. My husand was adamatly oppose to the plastics so, I don't wear sleeveless dresses, my breast loook lke tiney goat teetsand I have an apron. perhaps had I been younger. I just don't know. but youstick to your guns girl do whatever works for youI will keep you in y prayers. I posted a comment on your blog but it doesn't seem to be there.

OMG Patti, I am laughing so hard. Goat teets? LOL. I had to go look in the mirror. You and I are so much alike it's uncanny.

Thanks for the email. It was great to hear from you. I don't know why posts are coming up on the blog. I am blog illiterate. Several people are emailing me or calling me telling me posts are showing up. I may change where I have it hosted. I may just do my own website. That would just be easier.

I'm nervous about the surgeries. I think I'm having 2nd thoughts. I have put them off 2 times and they have just been approved AGAIN and now I'm wincing wondering if I really want to do this. I'm in a size 3/4 or 5/6 depending what I wear. The doc tells me I'll be a size two once the apron is gone. But man, I just dont know if it's worth it. I'm 54. Do I really need this? The doc keeps telling me I really need the apron done. I am so tiny now that the apron is causing problems with my skin. I give it a lot of attention so for now it's okay..but I think in 20 or 30 years when someone is caring for me (if that happens), what will it do to me?

Anyone have any thoughts of encouragement here? I sure could use them.

Letrell-I guess what this boils down to is the purpose of having the plastics done. Is it for health reasons or for vanity? If either or both of these reasons are important to you as an individual then go for it. I’m a bit older than you and as I mentioned in my earlier post, I am a coward when it comes to pain so I highly doubt I will consider plastic surgery unless it ends up being medically necessary.

If you socialize a lot and like to wear fashionable clothes and are self-conscious about your excess skin and / or goat teats (*LOL*) then you will probably decide to have the surgeries. It’s all a matter of personal preference. Being a married woman you are probably thinking of how you look to your husband and are having a difficult time deciding if certain things really matter to him. I have been a widow since 1996 and hate to admit that most of my “intimate” encounters since then have been with Mr. Bubble *lol*. Once I lose a significant amount of weight my reasoning may change so maybe I really don’t know what I may end up doing. It’s actually a tough decision isn’t it? Just think about it until you are comfortable with your decision and don't rush into anything.

ttiI don't think in 20 or 30 years I'm going tocare bat wings apron goat teets and all. 3/4OMG what a crying shame. seriously you have to do what works for you. I don't know what thedeal with the blog is either. talk to ya later patti

I didn't have the plastics for two reasons. my husband didn/'t want me to and I was scared of dealing with the post op pain. I'm not sure how old you are but I am 65 and don't want to. patti

I, too, am concerned about having front and back lifts after I have my DS in a couple months; I hope to do the total trip and also have the "batwings" altered...ask me next yr! lol...

I exchanged a butt for batwings.anapron for aflat belly and goat teets for bosoms . I am 65 years old and made this choice for my overall health. congrats to all of you who have the plastics.patti

Letrell: I think in 20 or 30 yrs., you're right, when someone may be taking care of you, you may be so sedentary, unable to move around too much, and might develop rash or infection under the apron and other loose skin, like others have said (my Dr. says it will be medically necessary for me--maybe 2 yrs. down the road after DS), but again, each one has to do what they feel...and with confidence & "positivity!" :)

What is the time, in general, between wls (weight loss surgery) and following surgeries ("bat wings," "apron," front and back lifts??? I am only beginning--will have DS in the next 2 months.
~BB

Bab-Hello, my name is Pat and I am still pre-surgery for RNY. Although I cannot speak from experience because I have never had the surgeries you are asking about I can speak logically. There are several variables that are involved here.
1) How much weight was lost?
2) How fast was the weight lost?
3) How active were you prior to and after surgery?
4) How old are you?
5) Are you male or female?

The point I am trying to make is that the timeframe will be different for each person. Everyone has different post surgical weight goals. Muscle tone will be different based on your activity level both before and after surgery. The rate you lose weight will vary depending on how well you follow your meal plan and what your metabolic rate is. Your age will determine how much excess skin you have once you reach your goal weight because we lose skin elasticity as we age. Males tend to have MUCH better muscle tone and muscle strength, especially in the stomach, than females.

I'm sure your surgeon can give you an estimated time frame but the easy answer is that you will be ready to have these surgeries when you have reached your goal weight and at that time decide that you want or need these surgeries. I have a 2nd appointment with my surgeon tomorrow, 1/5/2012, and hopefully will be given my surgery date :) I wish you the best of luck, Bab. Please visit the forum often to let everyone know how you are doing and to ask and offer advice as you make your journey.

Patti-You're a real hoot. I can relate 100% on your views for plastic surgeries. If it ain't broken then don't fix it!!! Cover it up with clothes and forget about it:)

Been to surgeon about my panniculectomy and upper stomach surgery. Having bad rashes and yeast under apron. Having to jump through hoops with insurance company. I had the same problem with insurance when I had my gastric bypass. Hoping to have it resolved and have my surgery before summer. I want it over with before we open the pool. Interested in brachioplasy also. Insurance will definately not pay for that one. Hope everyone else considering surgery doesn't have the problems I'm having.

easy remedu for yeast under your apron. buy some gel form of baby oild and apply liberally gettin evreywhere un der your apron coverred. as long as you bath and due this every other day you will end the the proble. vaseline works too, it just doen't smell nice. Be using Vitamin E cream all over itis cheap smells nice and tightens the skin..I had my roueny in 2003 but could not get those other surgeries paid for by insurance. I amm 65 and it isn't like I'll be looking forward to a bikini. I didn't really pursue those sugeries because my husband said I love you the way you are. One of the funniest things is my lower legs are thin and from my shoulders down I look like a pear. When I was young I was braos shouldered and narrow hips. now I am upside down. Any way I hope this information helps. I know how miserable it can be.patti .

Oh mimi, don't you dare give up the fight.

I am having both surgeries...both covered by insurance. The brachioplasy IS medically necessary if you are having rashes. The rashes lead to infections if not treated.

You fight that, Darlin! I did and got em both. I am in the stage of having been sent out of network because of the Wounded Warrior program at the hospital. Obviously, our Men and Women who have been injured while serving are at the top of the list for treatment...I'm just hanging loose at the bottom of the priority list and have had to go to another facility. I'm working on getting it back to the Naval Medical Center. I love the surgeons there! They are top-notch!

Good luck and don't give up .

Letrell

good morning Letrell,

First congratulations on your weight losss, and the surgery you had on your eyes.I've had 2 friends whom have had there eyes done for medical reasons and can see alot better, sounds like it has done the same for you. I think it's great that you are able to get the sugeries you deserve, all all you are the one whom did the hard work of getting the pounds off, why should you have to carry around and extra 15 or more pounds of skin, I am so happy for you.
Years ago they did a petilicomy or whatever it's called but they only removed 7 lbs of tissue they didn't tie up or strenthen the muscles, so it looks as bad now as it did 10 years ago. this time when I loose all the extra weight and they do the necessarry hernia surgery they are going to strengthen the muscle walls and also remove the excess skin. It makes you feel "normal and happy with your body. If we were able to to crunches and other exercies we would have already done it. I just watched a health program on tv this week, and it was about bariatric surgery and excess skin. Dr.says we can tighten the muscles within our body but no amount of exercise will tighten the stretched out skin.
yes there's pain involved but you've come too far with great success to allow this opportunity to pass you by.
once you get everything done you want you should post a "before and after pic" to encourage others of good it's made youfeel.
Praying you have 100% success and happiness with your new look, don't give up now, you're a winner and you have reason to be happy with your success,
Donna

I'm only 38 days post-op and am cruising the Internet obsessing about every conceivable complication that can happen down the road and, of course, what reconstructive surgery I may need a year from now. I'm 42 this year and single and still hold out hope that the right guy will come along one day. I know I won't be built like I was at 24 even if I end up weighing the same (who does anyway), but I'm thinking the one surgery I would endure the physical and financial pain for is a full tummy tuck. I suspect my breats will be akin to tube socks a year from now, but implants that have to be replaced every decade or so doesn't seem practical for my situation. The lower body freaks me out a little, especially after watching episdoes of My 600lb Life on TV recently where wounds weren't closing up due to dietary issues.

I hope you breeze through your surgery and it yields the results you hope for. Will be thinking of you.

Back