• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Tools

ascooke63

Okay I know the surgery is supposed to be a tool, what others tools has anyone found helpful on this Journey, I seen a lot of people talk about journaling but what else that aids in exercising, eating right etc...?

I have found that setting a certain time of the day to excersice at least 4 times a week helps and no excuses or putting it off so it takes some pre planning. Some people like to exercise in front of the TV in the evening with strech bands, or somithing like that, I run or use a stairclimber in the afternoon in winter and run or hike in the morning in the summer.
Weigh your food with a scale and use measuring cups when preparing meals so you know how much calories, protien etc.. you are getting, I also use a small salad or desert plate for my meals, it doesn't look like a lot of food but it will fill you up and it helps you trains your eyes on how much food you can tolerate. Eat your protien first. Take your vitamins on a schedule so you don't forget.
If you don't like to journal what you eat (lasted for about a month for me and I got bored with it:rolleyes:) then write down a meal plan thet helps you stay within the calories/protien ratios you need. If your not hungry but need the protien supplament with a protien shake.
Go to support group meetings in your area if at all possable. If you don't have one in your area see if there is enough people in your area to start one up and you can also visit this site often, there are a lot of great folks here willing to help and share. Hope I was of some help for you. :cool: Tom

Thanks Tom you are so supportive I appreciate all your information and answering questions in such a timely manner. I hope my journey will be as sucessfu as your and that I will be able to aid others as well.l

hi ascooke63

welcome to this site, how far are you on your new journey? have you started your pro-op testing yet? I've done mine and see surgeon on may4,12 and hope to get my surgery date.
I am like you I want to know as many helpful tactics as I can for what we are embarking on our journey to becomming healthier and thinner us, requires alot of knowledge of the do's and don't's at least for me it does.
daily as time gets closer things i eat I tell myself you will never be able to have this or that again. ( these are things I know I shouldn't be even eating now, like a fast food item or junk food or sugar. this is what got me to the size I am now. I've gotten weight off before but never kept it off more than one to 3 years, I know once I follow ALL the RULES and RESTRCTIONS of the new way of life, the pounds will come off and stay off.
I have to stop making excuses to not get on treadmill daily. I feel better when I exercise it's an ACCOMPLISHMENT TO ME, I love this room everybody has been so kind and helfpful with every ? I 've asked and I continue to ask more.
I wish you much luck with your journey and I love to talk so if you need someone to talk with, I'm all ears, and trying to learn to how to proceed on with eveything.
one day and one pound at a time WE WILL SUCCEED.
HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY,
DONNA

Hi Donna,
I have my first appointment June 14th, I've had a lot of the required test already because I am diabetic and have other heath issues like shortness of breath. The doctors were ruling out other things before telling me WLS was pretty much my only option and pretty much told that at this point they didnt think I could do it on my own. I too have been trying to grasp the idea of you can't have this or that again!! Yes we know we shouldn't but sometimes don't you just wish you could be like the skinnies you seen all your life that can eat a ton and never gain. My sister is Kaporvilla we are doing this together, we have often talked about how it will be at social events with buffetts of food? .My eating have been bad but now it seems like no matter what I try, counting calories, low carb, measuring portions, etc.. I can not loose. I admit I dont get much exercise cause I am not able I use a wheelchair outside of my home I have a bad knee and back and its difficult for me too walk and the docs say until I lose weight they wont even think about these issues. I also enjoy this site and all the great info. I wiull be reaching out toi you through this im sure and your right one day, one pound, at atime we will get it done!
Thanks Sandra

Okay I know the surgery is supposed to be a tool, what others tools has anyone found helpful on this Journey, I seen a lot of people talk about journaling but what else that aids in exercising, eating right etc...?
I use a website called myfitnesspal.com it tracks food protein sugar carbs... and tracks exercise and much more i absolutely love it!

Tom has it down. The scale, measuring cups...that is every thing the doctor has told me. I really helps me to measure every thing. My eyes seem to lye to me when I try to do it by myself.:)

Back