• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Top 10 goals after losing weight

Many of many of us share the same goals via weight-loss surgery. There are health angles, beauty concerns, mortality, social interaction, breaking stigmas and countless other goals we sought or are seeking as a result of losing weight.

Speaking for myself, not all of them are so noble. One of my constant thoughts was to wreak revenge on my sisters who had taunted me my whole life about my physical defects. Then we all got fat. And they all enabled each other, acting like it was no big deal, while I was horrified that I had allowed myself to get like that. Horrified or not, I saw the opportunity. If I could get skinny, they would be jealous. And that would make up for all the horrible things that they said to me when I was young. I grew up with two brothers and five sisters so it wasn't like a tiny little thing with one person criticizing me. It was like a gang bang.

So what are your 10 most productive reasons or goals regarding weight loss? They can be petty or noble, frivolous or serious, but what are you hoping to achieve by going through this process that involves major surgery?

It might be kind of enlightening to list the goals you had before surgery and the goals that actually arrived after you reached your weight loss goal. I think those goals might be very different.

Here are ten of mine.

1. Fear of diabetes. My father died in 2006, my little brother in 2017 and my older sister a few months ago, all from diseases that related to or originated from their diabetes.
  2. Revenge. Nothing else had worked. Establishing friendships with my sisters always ended badly. When I let myself get close and vulnerable enough, they would invariably betray me and let me know just how little they thought of me.
  3. Desire to reclaim my youth and former self.
  4. Wanted to hike mountains.
  5. Wanted to be attractive to men.
  6. Pretty pretty clothing
  7. Get off my CPAP machine.
  8. Stop hurting. There is a lot of pain associated with carrying so much extra weight.
  9. Assimilation with my chosen group.
  10. Be happy.
Later I'm going to start a post asking people how did those goals turn out for you.

Last edited:
  1. Fear of diabetes. My father died in 2006, my little brother in 2017 and my older sister a few months ago, all from diseases that related to or originated from their diabetes.
  2. Revenge. Nothing else had worked. Establishing friendships with my sisters always ended badly. When I let myself get close and vulnerable enough, they would invariably betray me and let me know just how little they thought of me.
  8. Stop hurting. There is a lot of pain associated with carrying so much extra weight.
  10. Be happy.

Completely with you on numbers 1, 6 and 10 Diane!

Many of many of us share the same goals via weight-loss surgery. There are health angles, beauty concerns, mortality, social interaction, breaking stigmas and countless other goals we sought or are seeking as a result of losing weight.

Speaking for myself, not all of them are so noble. One of my constant thoughts was to wreak revenge on my sisters who had taunted me my whole life about my physical defects. Then we all got fat. And they all enabled each other, acting like it was no big deal, while I was horrified that I had allowed myself to get like that. Horrified or not, I saw the opportunity. If I could get skinny, they would be jealous. And that would make up for all the horrible things that they said to me when I was young. I grew up with two brothers and five sisters so it wasn't like a tiny little thing with one person criticizing me. It was like a gang bang.

So what are your 10 most productive reasons or goals regarding weight loss? They can be petty or noble, frivolous or serious, but what are you hoping to achieve by going through this process that involves major surgery?

It might be kind of enlightening to list the goals you had before surgery and the goals that actually arrived after you reached your weight loss goal. I think those goals might be very different.

Here are ten of mine.

10. Be happy.
Later I'm going to start a post asking people how did those goals turn out for you.

1. Fear of heart disease. My mother and father's side have had different versions and my health is more at risk with the heavier I am (as I witnessed with all of them).
  2. To live past the age my parents did.
  3. To make it through a tough, long, strenuous mountain hike with my sister.
  4. To take my nephew zip lining without worrying the system won't hold me.
  5. For once I would love to turn heads when I walk by.
  6. To not get into a car and worry that my seatbelt is going to hit the point of no return and instead of stretching out, it locks and keeps getting tighter.
  7. To finally not be the fat sister.
  8. To get rid of the knee pain that seems to have no other reason for existing apart from being overweight.
  9. To finally be able to take horseback riding lessons
  10. To dance the night away without caring that people can see me and because I actually have the energy to do it!

1. Fear of a early death
  2. To get rid of some of my knee and back pain.
  3. To feel like going out just to socialize with friends from time to time. All I do now is work and home.
  4. To be able to walk through an airport to broad a plane and not have to ask for a set belt extension.
  5. To be able to buy clothes that have some shape to them.
  6. To look forward to the weekends. Wanting to get out the house.
  7. Can’t wait for people to start telling me how much better I look.
  8. Not spending a fortune on bras
  9. Wearing cute little pumps.
  10. Thanking all of the people who have supported me through this long journey

1. better health standing
  2. Eliminate all the joint and back pain I am in everyday
  3. To be able to move around more freely
  4. I want to be able to go places without having to worry if theres a cart for me to ride in(walk in stores instead of riding)
  5. be able to shop for my clothing and not have to order them online
  6. take my niece and nephew somewhere I can actually participate with them
  7. to fit into my car more comfortably
  8. take a trip to Florida (to see my son) and to Maine(to see my ex sister in law) to Arizonia( my best friend) Tennessee(to see family)
  9. just to be able to go out and dance and socialize and mingle cause I am single
  10. TO BE THE HAPPY GO LUCKY, TALK TO EVERYONE, OUTGOING,CONFIDENT,SURE OF MYSELF RAY OF SUNSHINE that I once was and that everyone knew me to be before all of this happened I JUST WANT THAT LIFE BACK!!!

Last edited:
  1. better health standing
  2. Eliminate all the joint and back pain I am in everyday
  3. To be able to move around more freely
  4. I want to be able to go places without having to worry if theres a car for me to ride in(walk in stores instead of riding)
  5. be able to shop for my clothing and not have to order them online
  6. take my niece and nephew somewhere I can actually participate with them
  7. to fit into my car more comfortably
  8. take a trip to Florida (to see my son) and to Maine(to see my ex sister in law) to Arizonia( my best friend) Tennessee(to see family)
  9. just to be able to go out and dance and socialize and mingle cause I am single
  10. TO BE THE HAPPY GO LUCKY, TALK TO EVERYONE, OUTGOING,CONFIDENT,SURE OF MYSELF RAY OF SUNSHINE that I once was and that everyone knew me to be before all of this happened I JUST WANT THAT LIFE BACK!!!
These are excellent! Especially all that travel, such a lot to look forward to

Back