• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Tough decision

Hi, I'm new and wanted to share my story. I'm 44 years old and female. I am overweight but I'm only 200lbs. 5'4". I barely meet the requirements for surgery but I suffer greatly everyday. I've had health problems since I was 21yrs old. I was diagnosed with kidney cancer in 2006 and again in 2014 which both times required surgery. I've also had multiple other surgeries for other problems. During one of these surgeries the nerves to the right side of my abdomen were cut and I lost function of them. Over the years the muscle has died and I now have a huge bulge from it that causes a lot of pain and discomfort. And, because I don't have the muscle, a lot of back pain. I also have osteoarthritis throughout my whole body. Right now I sleep in a recliner because laying in a bed causes too much pain. I cant exercise or even walk long distances. I cant even stand for very long or sit without back support. I have smoked my whole life and lived a very unhealthy lifestyle. I met with a surgeon and he says that gastric bypass would make a big difference for me. I will have to quit smoking before he will do it, which I want to do anyway, and I'm scared of the dietary changes. I have reflux really bad, they say this will help that also... I also have irritable bowel syndrome, not sure how that figures in... I also have sleep apnea which the surgery will help... I've never been able to digest dairy products and I live on carbs and sugar... this whole procedure scares me half to death. I already have so many limitations, is this going to help those or just add to them? I don't know what to do... any advice or information is welcome... and also questions...

I would listen to your Dr, he knows you best and in the end it is your decision, all I can say is that at this point in my life it was the best solution for me, I am so happy I had it done. I am still not down to my goal, but working hard at getting there, it really is just a tool to help you get to where you want to go, it still takes alot of discipline to eat right and exercise everyday, and I'm not going to lie and say it is easy, it is not, we all struggle with it good luck in whatever you decide

I would listen to your Dr, he knows you best and in the end it is your decision, all I can say is that at this point in my life it was the best solution for me, I am so happy I had it done. I am still not down to my goal, but working hard at getting there, it really is just a tool to help you get to where you want to go, it still takes alot of discipline to eat right and exercise everyday, and I'm not going to lie and say it is easy, it is not, we all struggle with it good luck in whatever you decide
Hi tracy, I'm probably going to go through with it... I'm just afraid of change and discipline.. I'm rebellious by nature, I know it's immature... but I just know me... I tend to sabotage myself. But I want to stop this destructive behavior and treat myself right. I think I'm finally starting to believe I deserve it. I have a long and complicated history but who doesn't! It's time for change... thank you for responding! My name is Donita btw... I'm supposed to start the nutritional classes and psychological appointments are set for may... as long as I can quit smoking in time, I'll probably do it.

Hi tracy, I'm probably going to go through with it... I'm just afraid of change and discipline.. I'm rebellious by nature, I know it's immature... but I just know me... I tend to sabotage myself. But I want to stop this destructive behavior and treat myself right. I think I'm finally starting to believe I deserve it. I have a long and complicated history but who doesn't! It's time for change... thank you for responding! My name is Donita btw... I'm supposed to start the nutritional classes and psychological appointments are set for may... as long as I can quit smoking in time, I'll probably do it.
I smoked years ago and was able to quit with the patch, my insurance paid for it, maybe that will be an option for you depending on insurance, this surgery was a life changing experience for me and I'm glad I did it

Hi Donita. Like Tracy, this was the best decision I could have ever made for myself. If you sabotage yourself, it won't work. You have to be ready to get over that no matter what it takes. I've been sabotaging myself lately and slowed down my weight loss, so I know what I am talking about. I had very bad acid reflux, even with prescription med. I haven't had it since surgery. With bypass, you have no stomach acid in your new stomach, thus no reflux. I have Crohns Disease. Inflammatory disease of intestine. Surgery has not affected it one way or the other. Hope this helps.

Hi Tracy, From what you've described, it seems you can only look up with having this surgery done! It would feel so good to have most of those issues resolved with this surgery and get on to being a healthier you. Good luck with your decision. You can do it!

Hi Tracy, From what you've described, it seems you can only look up with having this surgery done! It would feel so good to have most of those issues resolved with this surgery and get on to being a healthier you. Good luck with your decision. You can do it!
Thanks I'm working on it, I am now off all my meds except one that I take for night sweats, lol not sure if I still have that problem or not but owell, I have about 43 more pounds to go and then I have to keep it off, I wish it would fall off overnight but that is not going to happen

You are doing well! congratulations. I looked at my post and realized I put the wrong name on it, but thats ok!! I wish you well with your results! You' are already well on your way! I hope to do as well!!
PS When you figure out how to drop it over nite, please share it with me LOL I too would love to do that!!

Last edited:
Hi Donita,
Best of Luck to you as you continue down this road! I know the road must seem long and frustrating, but there will be light at the end of it! You will be a new person and you are young enough to enjoy the rest of your life without most of your health issues you have now. We are all right there with you :)

Back