• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Trader Joe’s Fan

Aface

I found a few products at Trader Joe’s that I must share... they are Amazing
1. Jicama wraps
Great for tacos, sandwiches, quesadillas
2 wraps = serving size
Calories 15
Carbs 3
Fiber 2
Sugar less than 1

cauliflower thins
Great for sandwiches or personal pizzas
2 rounds = serving size
Calories 100
Carb 3
Sugar 1
Protein 9

premium Italian-style salami sticks
I keep them in my handbag for a snack

8 sticks (small) = serving size
Calories 140
Carb 1
Sugar 0
Protein 9

Trader Joe's is a great store for weight loss surgery patients in general. I don't know what I would do without them. I get to buy boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs which are a staple for me, and their dairy section is excellent with a variety of yogurt and cottage cheese. And speaking of cheese, their cheese is amazing and so cheap. I also get most of my nutritional supplements there. In some stores they're twice as expensive as they are at Trader Joe's.

Have you looked at Bariatric Fusion vitamins? I take 4/day (Gastric Sleeve patients take 2/day) and that's the only vitamins I need to take. A bottle will last me about a month and cost around $25. I've only tried one flavor so far and it actually tastes pretty good. It's so much simpler for me than having to juggle several different pills every day. My doctor recommended them, so they have his seal of approval LOL.

Multiply all of those numbers by 4 to get the total amount you get daily (x2 if you have the sleeve)

I also take the Bariatric Fusion vitamins. I had the Sleeve and take 4 a day. My nutritionist recommended them because they are complete. You don't have to take any other vitamin, except these. (unless your blood work shows a low) My recent blood work was the best in years. I highly recommend them. I bought them online.

Calcium is a very special supplement and there are some cautions everyone should follow.

First of all the body cannot absorb more than 500 mg of calcium at a time. But most bottles you find in the store are 1000 or 1500 or 600 mg and it makes life very complicated. I buy my calcium at Trader Joe's and each tablet has a split in the middle so I can break in half. I take three a day, a few hours apart.

Like iron, calcium is a mineral, not a vitamin. You can take it with vitamins all you want but you cannot take it with another mineral, such as iron. If you do, they will cancel each other out, or at least diminish their efficacy.

I don't use bariatric vitamins because in reading the labels, they are identical to children's vitamins like Flintstones. And they are overpriced. I take supplements four times a day along with a few other prescription medications that I have to take for the rest of my life.

I take my first I take my first dose at 10 a.m., then 2 p.m., then 5 p.m., then 9 p.m. or even later before bed. I had the good fortune to be asked to be in a University of Washington study of bariatric surgery (Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery (LABS) | NIDDK), and for the first seven years of my post-op life, I had to see them at least annually and have nutritional balance measured by blood draws. I actually made my decision on the supplements based on the results documented in the study.

Now my doctor does a metabolic panel every six months or up to a year. My numbers are identical to the numbers I had in the university study. But sometimes I do have deficiencies, so it is awesome to be able to have your blood drawn and see where you need to adjust if that's the case.

I don't feel troubled by the fact that I take my supplements 4 times a day. Each time I take them, I have a sense of self love and self-care that is not natural for me. Just the practice of taking care of my nutritional needs by taking supplements is enough to make me smile.

I take a children's multi vitamin 2x, 5000mcg of B12 quick dissolve, 125 mcg D3, 650 mg calcium, 20mc omeprazole 2x, 300mg ursodiol 2x daily currently. I have 1 month left of the omeprazole left and 3 months left of the ursodiol.

Other medications not specific to surgery that I take are 200mg of topiramate and 100mg of spironolactone likely for life as well.

Back