• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Traditional methods of weight loss

girlnow

I was never told that after having the surgery I would regain my appetite to the same as it was before surgery. now maybe that doesn't happen to everyone but it has for me. and it does happen to others. what i been taught is that when we regain weight after bariatric surgery (gastric sleeve in my case) we have to resort to traditional weight loss methods to get the gained weight off. and that includes going on a diet. i know, i hate the word too. but prior to weight loss surgery i had lost weight on "diets". a diet for me is a restricted eating plan. also another traditional method of weight loss is diet pills. my surgeon suggested it and i took them for one day and had to stop. i was flying high and i was on the lowest dose possible so there was no way to lower the dose. so the diet pills didn't work. i was shocked at first the surgeon said he uses diet pills and then i found out other doctors who perform weight loss surgery incorporate them as well when needed since after surgery the only options are traditional methods of weight loss. here is the catcher. I had difficulty with traditional methods of weight loss so i had bariatric surgery. Now I have stopped losing weight after 50 lbs and i have gained back 10 lbs. i can't go back in and more surgery to lose 10 lbs. so i have to use as stated "traditional methods of losing weight" to get the 10 lbs off. i couldn't do it before gastric sleeve and i am having the same level of difficulty now post surgery. i went to a state of art hospital for my surgery but their after care program is non existent. in fact it's downright missing in action. the after care consists of talking to a nutritionist. a nutritionist isn't trained to address behavioral eating patterns to the same extent that someone is a therapist who specializes in weight loss and weight issues. i know what a nutritionist does and they are not mental health professionals. the one's that are there where i go are terrible. they don't return calls, they are licensed nutritionists but none have a lot of experience in bariatrics. they were nutritionists in other fields and have decided to take an interest in bariatrics but they don't know anything because they haven't worked in the field. some of them only work in bariatrics part time and have other nutritionist jobs. so there are no dedicated hard core bariatric nutritionist where i go. and there are no social workers. the after care is non existent. and that's a crime. i mean not that they are committing a crime, but it's criminal not to have a plan in place for the emotional size of having gastric sleeve surgery and the lifestyle changes.

I am sorry to hear that your team has let you down. However, that is no reason to let yourself down. WLS is not a magic fix. It is a tool. They tell you that its a tool. It appears that it is not the only tool you need. So, what other tools do you need? Do you have an eating disorder? Do you need a therapist to help you work through your relationship with food? Do you need the nutritionist to teach you how to make a healthy meal plan? Where are you struggling? You're going to need to pinpoint what your issues are and what tools can help you overcome them.

I'll be 100% honest here. I'm 3 years out and this shit is still hard work. But it's worth it. More importantly, I am worth it!! I feel great, I have none of the health issues I had 100lbs ago and I am living my best life. If that takes work, well, that's okay. I've worked for a lot less than my own health and happiness.

Decide what you deserve and what you're willing to do to get it. And there is nothing wrong with needing a little extra help. I get it frustrating and not what you thought you signed up for. Believe me, I truly do. But, at the end of the day, is what it is and you've got to go decide where to go from here. You can DM me if there is anything in particular I can help you with, even if its just an ear. Good luck finding the tools you need to build your new life.

girl, I hate to offer any conflict the first time I reply to one of your posts, but let me tell you what I read. "It's everyone else's fault except mine."

This doesn't make you a bad person. This sort of harvesting a bumper crop of excuses is one of the most prominent ones found in eating disorders.

Take some deep breaths, close your eyes and relax. Develop some comforting self-talk like "Everything is okay. I'm just feeling some panic and doubt. I'm afraid."

You have an eating disorder. you may not binge and purge, but your unhealthy self-talk and the shame that someone pounded into your self-esteem in your childhood has made you afraid of the truth.

You weren't told you'd regain your appetite because hardly anyone actually regains their entire appetite. In my case, the thought of pigging out makes me feel like I'm going to vomit. When I look at a plate of food in color on a menu, vomit. imagining eating a food I used to binge on, vomit. If I take three bites of food, I can barely bring myself to take a fourth.

At this time, your appetite seems normal, but over time, things may change. One thing that won't change is the size of your pouch and how much of certain foods you can tolerate. . Y

Missy's suggestions are sane and will help you get your mind straight over time. Decide what you're going to eat in advance. Write it down. Weigh and measure everything so you don't have to think of that. Stay off the scale. Say affirmations where you express love to yourself and back yourself up. Get a therapist who will focus on you. Avoid support groups where people talk over the top of you or don't give you a chance to get the support you need. Don't blame the doctor, the procedure, the staff or your bariatritc team. Bring it back to you. You're the boss. You're also the goddess. You're the queen. Serve yourself. Reward yourself with clothes, jewelry, art, books, movies, any non-food attention when you manage not to overeat.

Most of all, DON'T LOOK FOR SOMEONE TO BLAME. It's no one's fault. You will never really know why you have this problem, but you did the very positive thing of looking for the surgical solution. Now, let that work.

I had a boyfriend who saw me as a negative person who often wallowed in self-pity. He designed a mantra for me and insisted I say it to myself repeatedly throughout the day. It went like this:

I am beautiful, inside and out
I see myself as beautiful because I AM beautiful
I become more beautiful every day
I improve myself every day
I am LIGHT

This little mantra helped me turn all the responsibility to me and not to look for flaws in others, even if others had flaws. That was irrelevant. The only important person in my self-improvement is me, and that's what I focused on whenever I felt bad.

Don't go on a diet. The main reason dieting fails is that it is defined as a TEMPORARY way of eating to lose weight. Talk to your dietician if you don't already have a list of foods you should eat and in whatever portions. Find out what you should be eating, write it down, keep it in a journal and track your eating to make sure you're sticking to the nutritional needs that you should be.

You're eating too much anger, resentment and bitterness. These "foods" will make a nice, soft bed for the oveating you want to do. and a comfortable place for you to cry and tell yourself you're a failurl. As you fail and faul, you can stuff yfour face with chips and soda and nutritionally devoid foods that wiil you eat,

there is only twp parts you need to succeed.

1, Have the surgery, go through the phased eating from liquids to solids, incorporate walking into your daily return, SMILE, ponder on the thought of all the blessings you're be getting, shake hands inside and carry on.

2. when you're solidly into the post-op phase and you can eat in a healthy way, do it. Continue to keep track. say those affirmations. smile. stop complaining. hang out here with us and tell us about your victories, all sizes. I can't be your coach but you can coach yourself. add movement as soon as you can, as much as you can, then add more.

when you get hunger pang, notice it and promise it soon you'll be in a position to eat a little food. Then don't eat until you feel the pang again, and only within your eating plan.

I'm half asleep and making typos and have tto go. I hope I made some sense. I hope youll take it all in a friendly manner.

I was never told that after having the surgery I would regain my appetite to the same as it was before surgery. now maybe that doesn't happen to everyone but it has for me. and it does happen to others. what i been taught is that when we regain weight after bariatric surgery (gastric sleeve in my case) we have to resort to traditional weight loss methods to get the gained weight off. and that includes going on a diet. i know, i hate the word too. but prior to weight loss surgery i had lost weight on "diets". a diet for me is a restricted eating plan. also another traditional method of weight loss is diet pills. my surgeon suggested it and i took them for one day and had to stop. i was flying high and i was on the lowest dose possible so there was no way to lower the dose. so the diet pills didn't work. i was shocked at first the surgeon said he uses diet pills and then i found out other doctors who perform weight loss surgery incorporate them as well when needed since after surgery the only options are traditional methods of weight loss. here is the catcher. I had difficulty with traditional methods of weight loss so i had bariatric surgery. Now I have stopped losing weight after 50 lbs and i have gained back 10 lbs. i can't go back in and more surgery to lose 10 lbs. so i have to use as stated "traditional methods of losing weight" to get the 10 lbs off. i couldn't do it before gastric sleeve and i am having the same level of difficulty now post surgery. i went to a state of art hospital for my surgery but their after care program is non existent. in fact it's downright missing in action. the after care consists of talking to a nutritionist. a nutritionist isn't trained to address behavioral eating patterns to the same extent that someone is a therapist who specializes in weight loss and weight issues. i know what a nutritionist does and they are not mental health professionals. the one's that are there where i go are terrible. they don't return calls, they are licensed nutritionists but none have a lot of experience in bariatrics. they were nutritionists in other fields and have decided to take an interest in bariatrics but they don't know anything because they haven't worked in the field. some of them only work in bariatrics part time and have other nutritionist jobs. so there are no dedicated hard core bariatric nutritionist where i go. and there are no social workers. the after care is non existent. and that's a crime. i mean not that they are committing a crime, but it's criminal not to have a plan in place for the emotional size of having gastric sleeve surgery and the lifestyle changes.
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I'm three months post bypass and most of my appetite has returned. The interesting thing is it's only returned in my head. My compulsive eating disorder is still there and I will see a therapist once a month for the rest of my life to keep my feet on the ground. The biggest thing I stick to is compromises. I never compromise. Not even once. The first time I do that I'm sunk. I know a few who after years post op they started eating slider foods and telling themselves a little won't do harm. Just like a drug user or alcoholic a little will do every bit of harm. I hope this helps. I will struggle my whole life with my noggin but since my surgery my life experiences are increasing and I can do so much more. That was my goal. That and get knee replacements this winter!

WLS is a tough way to lose weight. Yes the aftercare is close to nonexistent. You are in control of you, if you need additional help tell your team that is what they are there for. I wholeheartedly agre with Diane diets are temporary. The main reason they fail is the aftercare when you reach your goal, the following step is return to pre diet eating/behavior. I am very guilty of that myself. This group means everything to me for aftercare. Missy is a wise in assisting others with explanations. Follow the research, get tested for eating disorder. Check your food log for places that could be improved. Portion control is critical. Exercise is important. You have the choices to do or not do. With my year so far losing my husband, reorganizing my finances, setting up and getting home improvements done. Having health issues, sprained back, teeth surgery (root surgery) and massive kidney stone, I am still here. In addition to all my summer yard projects, just finished cleaning apples from under the apple tree. spraying for fleas on the dogs in the yards and in the house. My days are full, I don’t get everything done but I don’t give up and I don’t quit. be safe be positive own your thoughts and actions.

With my year so far losing my husband, reorganizing my finances, setting up and getting home improvements done. Having health issues, sprained back, teeth surgery (root surgery) and massive kidney stone, I am still here.

It's always so good to see you, Roni. You say you're still here, but I'm wondering how you're feeling, deep inside. You have been through the fires of hell and had to do it all by yourself. You amaze me.

It is that positive thinking you promote. Don’t let it get you down, declare war, make a plan, takes steps to implement the plan, don’t let the bad things win. After the apple pick up I started putting pavers on the north fence to keep puppies from digging under for the ground hog. Took neighbor to see clean apple yard and critter had thrown 2 new ones on the ground and one bad apple fell from the tree. Set animal trap at one of the holes leading to tunnels. Went back to the pavers and ran out before finishing. Off to store for 30 more pavers. There is still tomorrow to keep chipping away at it. What I did finish Dolly took a prancing walk on. But have to take friend to appt First.

WLS is a tough way to lose weight. Yes the aftercare is close to nonexistent. You are in control of you, if you need additional help tell your team that is what they are there for. I wholeheartedly agre with Diane diets are temporary. The main reason they fail is the aftercare when you reach your goal, the following step is return to pre diet eating/behavior. I am very guilty of that myself. This group means everything to me for aftercare. Missy is a wise in assisting others with explanations. Follow the research, get tested for eating disorder. Check your food log for places that could be improved. Portion control is critical. Exercise is important. You have the choices to do or not do. With my year so far losing my husband, reorganizing my finances, setting up and getting home improvements done. Having health issues, sprained back, teeth surgery (root surgery) and massive kidney stone, I am still here. In addition to all my summer yard projects, just finished cleaning apples from under the apple tree. spraying for fleas on the dogs in the yards and in the house. My days are full, I don’t get everything done but I don’t give up and I don’t quit. be safe be positive own your thoughts and actions.
You have sure had a trial. I love your business. That helps me too. Right now I'm helping my mother with her cancer treatments, my dad and stepmom with his Alzheimer's, my sister with her alcoholism (detox to month long residential treatment to sober living house), husband's many serious health issues and all I'm supposed to be doing for my body. It's a tough balance and actually a lot of the time it isn't a balance. But I do the best I can. That's all any of us can do is our best.

Back