• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Travelling Post Op

stacygb

Hey everyone! I'm new here. :) My surgery is scheduled for May 28 (two weeks from tomorrow!! Squee!). Thanks to COVID-19, this is the third time it's been rescheduled which has been so frustrating, but I've almost made it!

However, surgery date is encroaching on our long planned trip to Washington State. We leave on June 22 and will DRIVE there over 3 or 4 days. :oops: It's almost 4 weeks after surgery. Should I expect any issues with clotting, etc that far from surgery? Will the road trip be safe if I make a priority to get out and walk every hour or two?

Thanks!

Which procedure are you having? It's a lot easier to recover from the sleeve than it is to recover from an open procedure RYGB I don't know what the recovery rate is like if you do RYGB laparoscopically.

I think I traveled a month after I had an open procedure. The hardest thing is just making sure you have equipped yourself with the kind of food you need to eat so you don't end up buying something at a Gas and Grocery or fast food joint.

I believe if your first week of recovery is monitored properly you won't have to worry about clotting or anyting else except a little discomfort and adjusting your body to your new food plan. In order for the surgery to work with your body you must follow your very specific diet and the phases in that diet. At 4 weeks out you will still be restricted as far as what you can eat. I think you'll be on pureed Foods at that point.

Whatever the trip involves, just make sure you put yourself first. You don't want to go through this complicated and expensive and difficult procedure and then think that you can just go back to doing everything you did normally within a few weeks of the surgery.

Do you already know what your food plan will be in terms of how staged it will be? You also need to make sure you have the correct nutrients and vitamins and minerals, laxatives and antidiarrheals and anti nausea medicine. Get your gear together first before you leave or before you even pack any clothes. Your post-surgical regimen is more important than anything else when you're considering a long drive.

Hi dianeseattle,

My doctor and I have decided the sleeve is the best choice for me. :) I'm taking a cooler with soft foods for the journey. I'll be on soft by the time we travel, so it should be fairly easy to keep enough food and drink at all times. I will of course have all my supplements and meds. My worries are of clotting and swelling staying in the car so long each day.

Of course I'll be consulting my doc next Tuesday during out Pre-Op visit about these issues. I was just hoping others might have done a similar trip and could give me tips, etc.

Which procedure are you having? It's a lot easier to recover from the sleeve than it is to recover from an open procedure RYGB I don't know what the recovery rate is like if you do RYGB laparoscopically.

I think I traveled a month after I had an open procedure. The hardest thing is just making sure you have equipped yourself with the kind of food you need to eat so you don't end up buying something at a Gas and Grocery or fast food joint.

I believe if your first week of recovery is monitored properly you won't have to worry about clotting or anyting else except a little discomfort and adjusting your body to your new food plan. In order for the surgery to work with your body you must follow your very specific diet and the phases in that diet. At 4 weeks out you will still be restricted as far as what you can eat. I think you'll be on pureed Foods at that point.

Whatever the trip involves, just make sure you put yourself first. You don't want to go through this complicated and expensive and difficult procedure and then think that you can just go back to doing everything you did normally within a few weeks of the surgery.

Do you already know what your food plan will be in terms of how staged it will be? You also need to make sure you have the correct nutrients and vitamins and minerals, laxatives and antidiarrheals and anti nausea medicine. Get your gear together first before you leave or before you even pack any clothes. Your post-surgical regimen is more important than anything else when you're considering a long drive.
Hi Stacy,

I didn't personally travel after my surgery, but I still have the guidelines my surgeon gave me about traveling. They said for the first 4 weeks, there should be no travelling out of state. And for the first three months, no travelling out of the country. The main concern is being away from your surgeon in case you have any issues that arise. I would think that if you are 4 weeks out and take the trip, just look up any hospitals that will be in your area (preferably ones with bariatric centers) so you can receive care if it is needed (and hopefully it isn't)! They did also mention making sure if you are taking car rides to get out and walk for five minutes every hour. But definitely talk to your dr and they should be able to help you plan a safe trip :)

The importance of follow-up is the very reason why I cringe every time somebody says they're having the surgery in Mexico. It's not like they're going to stick around Mexico for a few months until they're clear for everything.

I had my surgery 13 years ago so I didn't have a page of advice or restrictions like you guys do these days. I just was told a few things by my doctor and then sent home to do it on my own.

Hi dianeseattle,

My doctor and I have decided the sleeve is the best choice for me. :) I'm taking a cooler with soft foods for the journey. I'll be on soft by the time we travel, so it should be fairly easy to keep enough food and drink at all times. I will of course have all my supplements and meds. My worries are of clotting and swelling staying in the car so long each day.

Of course I'll be consulting my doc next Tuesday during out Pre-Op visit about these issues. I was just hoping others might have done a similar trip and could give me tips, etc.
I would do as you plan and discuss with your doctor. He may suggest some kind of leg compression garments to avoid clots. I'm sure as miss suggested, he'll also advise you to get out of the car to walk around hourly. And Diane is right on the money with making sure to pack the right foods.

The importance of follow-up is the very reason why I cringe every time somebody says they're having the surgery in Mexico. It's not like they're going to stick around Mexico for a few months until they're clear for everything.

I had my surgery 13 years ago so I didn't have a page of advice or restrictions like you guys do these days. I just was told a few things by my doctor and then sent home to do it on my own.
I had my surgery in Mexico, and haven’t had a problem. If I do, I will go to a Bariatric Center close to home. They gave me a great deal of information, from diets Pre Op, to Post Op, week one, two, three, and four. Also information for the rest of my life. I know seven ladies who had their surgery where I did and the same doctor. I’m on week two, post op. I also read a lot on line.

Back