• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

trying to kick the carbs

cbsweet33

I'm new to this group. I'm 2.5 yrs post RNY and have gained back 25 pounds because I stopped paying attention to my health and let other goals get in my way. Now I am refocusing my attention on my health. I have learned that carbs are my weakness. A few crackers here and there and some fruit everyday have contributed to my weight gain. I know that I need carbs and hope to discover eating the best ones for myself. Any suggestions?:D

Welcome cbsweet33,

I won't sugar coat it for you: #1 Is Stop Eating Them, #2 Is Protein, #3 Is only 800 calories a day and #4 Is Exercise. It's simple, yes. You will find all the moral support you need here to help you get back to your lifetime journey.

Cheers

Dennis

I read the book "Wheat Belly" and stopped eating anything with wheat in it. You'd be amazed about all the stuff out there that contains wheat! If I get a craving for crackers I eat a few "Nut-Thins". They're awesome. Hope this helps.

I found it very hard to get off the carbs especially sweet things. Our nutritionist recommended the following. First eat your protein and it should cover about half of what I call a cake plate (they had one that was already divided that helps a lot for portion size) then 1/4th of the plate is for veggies which you eat next (corn spinach and peas are not allowed with my lapband) then you can have carbs if you still have room on the other 4th of the plate although I avoid them and double up on veggies. I know Dennis recommends 800 calories but our nutritionist doesn't want to talk about calories. She said if you follow the above eating plan, eat three meals every day, and stop eating as soon as you are full you will be within caloric range. I have found it to work well for me. I thought it rather strange but it works. Perhaps keeping a diary of what you eat every day would help. You can count your protein and carbs that way. Another thing she instructed us to do was to eat no more than 16 Carbs per meal. I looked at some Weight Watchers, Lean Cuisine, and Healthy Choice dinners looking for some variety in my diet and can't find hardly any that meet that requirement. She said we couldn't save up the carbs and eat them all at once either (darn it!). Good luck in getting back on track. Remember that you need about 80 Grams of protein every day. 60 Grams is the minimum. Joy P.S. Hope this helps some.

I'm new to this group. I'm 2.5 yrs post RNY and have gained back 25 pounds because I stopped paying attention to my health and let other goals get in my way. Now I am refocusing my attention on my health. I have learned that carbs are my weakness. A few crackers here and there and some fruit everyday have contributed to my weight gain. I know that I need carbs and hope to discover eating the best ones for myself. Any suggestions?:D

There are foods I have to stay away from, foods that I'll never be able to eat again because I do not have the ability to control my intake -- like an alcoholic or drug addict. Sugar addiction is real, there is peer-reviewed research published on the topic. Sugars and starches may be something you'll have to refrain from forever. But, if you are like me, it's worth it -- not only for weight reasons, but also because the insanity and instability are gone. The difficult part is detox...the first few days or a week. After that, little by little, it gets easier. Have you read anything about low-carb eating? Atkins, for example, may be a very good complement to your WLS.

You are right...carbs, at least the sugars, breads, and starches (not the veggies), will make you gain weight, keep you from losing weight, keep you hungry, and keep your cravings alive and kicking. There's no other way around it...go through the turmoil of withdrawal and, in a few days, you'll be so much better for it. If you have questions about it, you might want to check out the latest Atkins books. Good luck!!!

I am almost 1.75 years post RNY and have to keep reminding myself - everything in moderation! I do not give up anything, but I eat basically protein and vegetables every day. My starches (potatoes, rice, pasta, bread) are very limited, but I do have one day a week where I give myself permission to have whatever I feel like. This is usually the day I have something social going on - if I have more social events in a week I pick the most important one to me or the one that would be the hardest to eat healthy at. I also try to make sure I exercise 3-5 times a week and take the stairs whenever I can. I'm 65, so my metabolism is really slowing down and I need the exercise to help me maintain. I hope some of this helps, but I know everyone has to find their own path and figure out what will work for them. Best of luck!!!:)

Back