• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Type II Diabetes Relief

I

I-Did-WHAT

I'm type II Diabetic. I was on metformin, glipizide and 70/30 insulin injections (I cried when they put me on injections).

My milk diet was for four weeks, very faithfully. During that four weeks, my A1C went from 9 to 6.5. Now it is a 6. I am no longer taking diabetic, hypertension (blood pressure), or high cholesterol medication. I went from three pages (single-sided) of medications down to half a dozen plus the vitamins required due to the gastric bypass itself. After surgery: A meal and sweetened iced tea, my blood sugar was 93. You should have seen my face!

Do keep checking your blood sugars (mine in the a.m.). An endocrinologist is an excellent idea if you have multiple issues (which I do).

May you be blessed in your journey.

I was diabetic pre surgery...I was on Victoza injections once a day and 2 metformin a day. I also had high blood pressure and high cholestrol. Left the hospital on only 1 metformin a day and half my blood pressure med and my cholestrol med. 2 weeks post op, was taken off the Metformin...at 3 weeks was taken off the blood pressure med & I am now off of all meds and being controlled with my diet. My BS are now in the low 90's upper 80's. My blood pressure is great! The surgery works (gastric bypass) for diabetics. I am very happy!

Congratulations! That is just the thing the doctors like to hear, and other patients of course.

I too was full blown diabetic for years...glyburide and metformin twice a day; and my BS was STILL around 180. A1c was near 9. Now BS is around 80..without any meds and most recent A1c was 5.9. Doctor was very happy.

WOW...I am an insulin dependent diabetic, you all make me so happy!!! The doctor said I will walk out of the hospital without injections and maybe just 1 metformin, you have just reconfirmed why I am having this surgery. My date is Nov 13th and I am so excited not to be a DIABETIC any longer. What a horrible disease, it has plagued my family for years and now I will break the cycle!!!

Isn't it incredible! The main reason I decided to have the surgery was to try and control my diabetes. I was taking Onglyza, Actos and 25 units of insulin twice a day, as well as medication for high cholesterol. My blood sugar was over 200 and my A1c was 11. I left the hospital last Friday off of all medications. I check my blood sugar several times a day and am amazed that my average blood sugar is 117. Sometimes it is as low as 90, a number I haven't seen in years!
For any type 2 diabetic reading this, who is trying to decide whether or not to have surgery, I can only say that this has truly been an opportunity for a new lease on life for me.

Canynhyker-How inspirational!!! You just gave me the sunshine I've been searching for. I went for my pre op visit yesterday and found out that my A1C is 10.9. I am scheduled for surgery Nov 13th having alot of mixed emotions but the driving force is the Diabetes. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope all is well. :eek:

I was also a type 2 diabetic pre-surgery. When I left the hospital I no longer needed my mega doses of metformin. My 6 month post surgery A1C was 6.1 down from 7.2 :) :) :)

to those of you who replied to this thread. that has made me so happy. my surgery is scheduled for nov 12. i am so hyped mentally after reading those posts. thank all of you for your willingness to share. the main reason i decided to have this surgery was for the diabetes. more than any other reason. my belief is that the wl is just a bonus. i was lucky enough to find a nutritionist who doesnt believe in a liquid diet pre surgery. i have followed her plan and started her pre op diet called the liver detox diet. since monday i weighed in at 252.5 and am now down to 244. her reasoning was that if i put you on liquid only diet i know that you would cheat. and she is right. my thought plan is that i will be forced to change after the surgery because i will dump if i dont do exactly as i should. i need that because i have failed at so many diet plans.
thank you so much for sharing

Polo-It's always nice to read a post from you. Good luck on your surgery, I'm sure you will do fine. Please make sure to come back to the forum to keep us updated on how you are doing.

Good Luck on your surgery! Just remember, you may need a little more meds while in the Hospital, due to the surgery and pain meds there. Don't let this discourage you. I stayed in the Hospital only one night, but because I wasn't taking my Metformin or Victoza there, they were giving me insulan shots and they monitored me carefully. I left the hospital on less than half my meds and was off them completely within 3 weeks. So just remember....the surgery is major, they need to monitor and give you what you need to get through it. Once home, i'm sure you'll be off most of the meds, and see improvement! Good luck!

not bragging but just letting everyone know. i am now down to 240 and started at 252.5 with pre op diet. the liver detox diet. i have lost 23 lbs since the first of july. all of it due to thinking about wls. i figured if i cant attempt to lose weight when i am thinking about a major operation i must be squirrely. i did no dieting per se. beginng in july i just started sharing plates with my wife when we ate out. which is a lot because our home is
in florida and my family lives in mich. we go there for about 6 weeks every summer. i feel so lucky to have heard about the wls. i decided by accident to learn about it.

Surgery Nov 13th pre surgery A1C 10.9 340 today Nov 25th A1C 9.6 166!!! WOOHOO!!! Numbers moving in the right directions:p

Hi time4me , did the surgeon take you off all diabetic meds when you left the hospital . my A1C is 10.0 and my surgeon said i will most likely leave the hospital with no diabetic meds .

pat,thank you for your reply.
i was able to go golfing only two weeks and 2 days post op. i even played golf the saturday before 2 weeks post op.
i have had absolutely no pain what so ever. never had a pain pill. today i see my nutritionist for the first time post op.
she was upset that my doc told me i could go to scrambled eggs and or oatmeal after one week post op. she says oatmeal
too many carbs. i did notice that my BS was higher on those days i ate oatmeal. i tried scrambled eggs twice and i didnt
tolerate them very well. so they will be on the bottom of my list. i do love eggs though. that will come in time i think
i have never had one dump. in fact my problem seems to be constipation. i think i have only gone 3 times in about
2 and a half weeks post op. i can pass gas just fine. i am so lucky that i came upon this surgery due to a mis diagnosis
of a hernia. thank you jesus
usually when i play golf i have a very hard time walking normally when i have completed my game. i have bone spurs
in both of my heels and they really get to hurting. i havent even had that pain since i started to golf again. wow am i
lucky or what.

in fact my problem seems to be constipation. i think i have only gone 3 times in about 2 and a half weeks post op. i can pass gas just fine. . . wow am i lucky or what.

Polo,

Congratulations on your outstanding recovery.

Your fiber supplement and water intake should be taking care of any constipation issues. Are you getting in plenty of fluids every day? You might ask your nutritionist if she thinks you may need to switch to a different fiber supplement.

I'm not sure what is making your bone spurs not trouble you so much in your walking. Could be the reduced weight you're putting on them! Yay!!!

Hi time4me , did the surgeon take you off all diabetic meds when you left the hospital . my A1C is 10.0 and my surgeon said i will most likely leave the hospital with no diabetic meds .

Renie- I am still on a small dose of insulin but that is due to being on steroids because of an allergic reaction which will keep my numbers up. I am off all oral meds which has been a blessing, more than likely you will be too!! It is such a wonderful feeling to say my blood pressure is Great and my diabetes is under control!!!:D

Hello, I to was full blown uncontrolled type 2 diabetic, I had my surgery October 1, of this year and the second day after my surgery I was taken off my blood pressure Meds and cholesterol Meds, I'm only on 1 insulin shot at night but I go back in January and I should be off that, I'm very pleased with all the Meds I'm off, my health I feel so much healthier, you will love the freedom you will have, good luck

time4me Thank you soooooo much for your fast reply . i am so happy to hear your diabetes is under control . Diabetes is one of the main reasons for getting this surgery , not the only reas9on b/c i have several weight related helth issues . thank you again .
Renie .:D

Back