• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Type II Diabetes Relief

It's awesome!!! My next milestone is getting below 200 lbs, which will hopefully be this week. I am 2 lbs away but so excited to get there, good for you Angel I see you made it there!!!:D

Hi Terri, I'm doing great. Thanks for asking. I'm down 35lbs. And, how are you doing? My next goal is fitting into my husband jeans(LOL) or hit the 200 mark on the scales which ever comes first. LOL Take care my friend.

They took me off my diabetic meds before I left the hospital. My sugars have been running 80-100 since I got home. Doing good.
Less pills to take.

Carol

Awesome responses...just remember...your body will take some time to adjust and if you are on pain meds this will also affect your blood sugar levels, so don't be alarmed...I was on insulin injections in the hospital, because I couldn't take my regular meds for diabetis, but I left the hospital only on one metformin pill and shortly thereafter had to take even a lower dose of that...I was off all my meds within 3 weeks post op. It all depends on what you are on and how your body reacts...so don't get upset if you don't get off the meds as soon as others...just know you will get there!

Although this thread is from some months ago, I just had to post and say that I'm only 25 with severe diabetes, which is my main reason for having gastric. Reading your posts about the great outcomes you all have had after surgery just confirms for me that I made the right decision and cannot wait to have my surgery.

Dear SwtHrt7, I have to agree that you have made the right decision!!! I was being robbed of my life due to the struggles with my weight and diabetes, which lead to so many other problems. I am 4 months out with a total weight loss of 52 lbs, down 8 clothing sizes and only one metformin a day. With another 20 lbs down I will be off ALL meds and only taking vitamins. It is an awesome feeling to STRIVE everyday to be healthy and know that your body is fit the way God intended it to be!!!

Please feel free to write with any questions, concerns or just to chat. I found this forum to be an awesome place. I see that you live in Maryland, I do also in Harford County. Where are you having your surgery??

Hope to hear from you soon, take care and be blessed.

I am taking only 40% of the amount of insulin I was before surgery. Insulin was my savior and my bane. I gained 40 lbs. after going on insulin and couldn't shake it. On the other hand it gave me control which was a great relief. I've been a diabetic for twenty-one years. My grandfather, father and one of my sons have had it and they were not what I would call overweight. Its roll of the genetic dice. But your individual stories are very inspiring, I thank you for that.

Thanks everyone for talking about their diabetic experience with the surgery. I am going to my 2nd surgical consult tomorrow and hopefully will get a date set for surgery. I too am a diabetic and have been for quite awhile. Presently just taking insulin but I take Novolog three times a day and Lantus twice a day. Was diabetic a long time before I did anything to manage it. Just getting rid of medications will be a big bonus for me. To tell the truth I am a little afraid of the post op experience but I can do this. I am doing the surgery to get me in better health and to be around to watch my two grandchildren grow up.

That is very encouraging. Diabetes was a big reason for me to do this
I am on AM Januvia, AM & PM Glipizide, AND 70 UNITS AM & PM.
Plus a whole list of others 25 approximately.
I am a traveling pharmacy.
You are an encouragement to me for the future.

I can tell you this surgery will save your life, the only thing I take now is vitamins and synthroid due to no thyroid other then that, that's it, and I feel great, good luck

My BSL was only 98 today. Another doctor was covering for mine. When I called to check if I should take meds, or shots, he said no.
How exciting!

Jerri-Congratulations on your success of overcoming your diabetes. I too used to eb a type 2 diabetic and haven't needed and meds since the day before my weight loss surgery. May you experience many more freedoms as you continue your journey.

Back