• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

? Type of surgery

OzarkEve

I am having a dilemma, my surgeon will not do a RNY due to prior heart attacks (3). He said I can go 250 miles away to the big city and have it done there. He will do a sleeve here. I told him I live hear and don’t want to depend on someone 5 hours away if I have a problem. I am 52 My biggest goal is to improve my health and eliminate my diabetes. Reduce the pill count every day. I have been working for 10 years trying to get surgery. One clinic then another. Now I am afraid if I don’t take the sleeve surgery I never will get surgery. Any ideas?

With three heart attacks under your belt before your 53rd birthday, I would listen to my doctor locally. Take the sleeve. It's a much less invasive surgery and the longer you stay under sedation by anesthesia the greater the risk of death or stroke. You'll do fine with the sleeve. Many people here swear by it. I think you should listen to your doctor and then get busy and do what you want to do.

I also think you should spend some time with a psychiatrist who specializes in obesity and bariatric surgery. I don't understand why you are even hesitating and I'm thinking you must be considered a high-risk patient and honestly, it might not even be safe for you to have any surgery at all. These are things you have to consider and you need to explain your motivation for what you want to a professional who can help you clarify your celebrities thought process.

Weight loss surgery is not a Magic bullet. It is a tool that people can use to cure diabetes and drop a lot of weight and cure or prevent heart disease. Before you take the step you also need to have a battery of tests to see if your body can withstand any sort of surgery or anesthesia. And if you clear that hurdle, you're going to have to lose a lot of weight before the doctor will even do the surgery. Some people here have said they were required to lose 10% of their body weight.

If you've been wanting this for 10 years, I assume you've done a lot of research. But most importantly, you need to figure out what your health status is.

So if I were you I would stay close to home and stick with my doctor and make sure that all possibilities and risk factors are taken into consideration.

When I was growing up, the third heart attack a person had was usually fatal. I don't know how you have survived. Trust the medicine, not your personal desire to take fewer pills.

Eve, what pills are you taking and how many are you taking a day? You do realize that after you have the surgery you will be required to take two multivitamins a day and a whole bunch of supplements for calcium and iron and you have to learn the order in which you should take these. I take 12 pills when I wake up in the morning. There's a logical reason for each one of the pills a cake and the time of day that I take it. Then I take 7 more pills at 1 p.m. at 5 p.m. I take watch five more pills just and at bedtime I take four Mercy. I also take sleeping pills at bedtime because I am an incurable insomniac. I take melatonin plus one OTC Med Plus Zolpidem tartrate which is what Ambien is.

So from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. I take 31 pills. Only a few of those pills are prescribed. The rest of them are supplements because you need to replace the nutrients you cannot take in because of the surgeries basic premise, which is malabsorption that leads to malnutrition.I take supplements for joints and of course I take calcium and iron, vitamin C a vitamin B complex vitamin D.

As you wean off all the other pills you're taking for diabetes and heart disease and such they will be replaced with new supplements that you must use or you will become malnourished and die. So just in case you're thinking you might end up taking fewer pills, the reality is you may end up taking way more. You said a lot of things in a very short. Of time that indicate to me that you might not understand this surgery as well as you think you do. But if you opt for the sleeve and the doctor agrees oh, you will go through an educational process at that point and you will be given assignments especially to lose weight and to prove that you can stay on the diet and then of course you said a lot of things in a very short period of time that indicate to me that you might not understand this surgery as well as you think you doing. But if you opted for the sleeve and the doctor agrees, you will go through educational process at that point and you will be given assignments especially to lose weight and to prove that you can stay on the diet and then of course you're going to be on a liquid diet for a couple weeks before surgery

Back