• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

UH-OH!! about 10 days post op... list of concerns.. (But feel generally ok)

rub2hard

Hello All...

While I was in the hospital I felt I was a burden calling for help and they often lagged (I mean when I gotta pee- don't take forever coming to disconnect me from equipment. I began putting my machine in standby and disconnecting and reconnecting myself. Monitoring my BP, Oxygen, etc.. (Making sure I was good to go before disconnecting to take a walk or?)

2nd day post I was eating cottage cheese as one of my proteins..

1 week post op I weighed 23 pounds less.. (I was literally doing what I was supposed to do) I think..
(I'd make chicken broth soup and add a little Asian chili sauce and hoisen sauce..)

I find myself more hungry now...
I over ate and ate some of the wrong things on Christmas (When I say I over ate) I don't mean stuffed myself... I mean I ate more then the 1oz+1z meal..

(I spaced the volume out) I ate salami rolled up with some sort of cream cheese (2 or 3 of those)

maybe twice the ham I would think was 1oz..

and a couple piece of cheese (like 1/8" thick by 1 1/4x 1 1/4"

also I wet my lips with some of the whipped cream cake (can say I was testing the water)

I feel ok... but see where it can lead to a downward spiral.. (because a day later I bought sugar free choclate covered coconut) I let little bits desolves in my mouth.. never really swallowing we know where it ended up..

I might want to mention I have been eating scrambled egg, refried beans, avocado, purreed cooked bell pepper and onion.. oh, and recently stole 1 boiled broccoli head and chewed to mush before swallowing what I estimate as baby spoon bites.. (I puree food in my mouth)

I was using RAW PROTEIN and measuring 1 cup of crushed ice and 1%milk, then adding a sugar free pudding cup and blending... (2-3 times a day)

I've improved on that by buying coco (100%cacao) from walgreens Christmas day and putting a table spoon in replace of the pudding cup... I even added granulate stevia (1/2 tsp) or less...

Amazingly good... (My 3 year old daughter was stealing my protein shake)

Trying to be back on track... oh yeah I had a stick of low fat low cal string cheese as a protein one day and as a calcium one night.. I figured it was just like my 1% milk I put in my protein shakes.. (Just chew it well)

I will not weigh until I see my doc 1 month post op.. and I will share here.. (my guess is I will be down about 50 pounds..) after reading here? maybe 30-35?

Hello All...

While I was in the hospital I felt I was a burden calling for help and they often lagged (I mean when I gotta pee- don't take forever coming to disconnect me from equipment. I began putting my machine in standby and disconnecting and reconnecting myself. Monitoring my BP, Oxygen, etc.. (Making sure I was good to go before disconnecting to take a walk or?)

2nd day post I was eating cottage cheese as one of my proteins..

1 week post op I weighed 23 pounds less.. (I was literally doing what I was supposed to do) I think..
(I'd make chicken broth soup and add a little Asian chili sauce and hoisen sauce..)

I find myself more hungry now...
I over ate and ate some of the wrong things on Christmas (When I say I over ate) I don't mean stuffed myself... I mean I ate more then the 1oz+1z meal..

(I spaced the volume out) I ate salami rolled up with some sort of cream cheese (2 or 3 of those)

maybe twice the ham I would think was 1oz..

and a couple piece of cheese (like 1/8" thick by 1 1/4x 1 1/4"

also I wet my lips with some of the whipped cream cake (can say I was testing the water)

I feel ok... but see where it can lead to a downward spiral.. (because a day later I bought sugar free choclate covered coconut) I let little bits desolves in my mouth.. never really swallowing we know where it ended up..

I might want to mention I have been eating scrambled egg, refried beans, avocado, purreed cooked bell pepper and onion.. oh, and recently stole 1 boiled broccoli head and chewed to mush before swallowing what I estimate as baby spoon bites.. (I puree food in my mouth)

I was using RAW PROTEIN and measuring 1 cup of crushed ice and 1%milk, then adding a sugar free pudding cup and blending... (2-3 times a day)

I've improved on that by buying coco (100%cacao) from walgreens Christmas day and putting a table spoon in replace of the pudding cup... I even added granulate stevia (1/2 tsp) or less...

Amazingly good... (My 3 year old daughter was stealing my protein shake)

Trying to be back on track... oh yeah I had a stick of low fat low cal string cheese as a protein one day and as a calcium one night.. I figured it was just like my 1% milk I put in my protein shakes.. (Just chew it well)

I will not weigh until I see my doc 1 month post op.. and I will share here.. (my guess is I will be down about 50 pounds..) after reading here? maybe 30-35?

Hi! Glad you are losing weight so well! Congratulations!

My bariatric surgeon strongly stressed that it takes a full 3 weeks for stitches in the stomach to heal. If you over eat before the stitches heal your stomach can break the stitches and leak which is a life threatening situation. He even warned that gulping water too fast can break open the stitches. I was only allowed to sip liquids for the first 3 weeks and then applesauce, cottage cheese, eggs, tuna, and salmon for the 4th week. I wasnt allowed salami and ham til the 7th week. Of course your doctor may have different rules but eating these foods at 10 days out seems very risky to me. My bariatric surgeon performed over 2,000 bariatric surgeries and never lost a single patient so I followed his advice to the letter.

Good luck!

Cheyenne :cool:

Something I forgot to say is the most important thing is to not exceed your 1 or 2 ounce limit per meal. Be very careful especially the first few weeks so you dont end up having emergency surgery.

So, Should I get checked if I feel fine? Or ?

Or just strive to do more like it says...

It says I can have these meets but wants them in puree form for the next 7 weeks..

I figure chewing it into a puree form and swallowing is more enjoyable.. and achieves the same results.. (That's what I've been doing)

I took some Pho Bo' seasoning and added to a cup of water this morning... then added the grits to it... and scooped a couple teaspoons into a small cup and added a half of scrambled egg...

I'm late on getting my protein shake.. (I will make that now and take vitamins)

that's a 8-10 oz shake I drink in about 10 minutes..

I have so many questions....

Question.. did you have a gastric bypass or a sleeve done? Sometimes they leave the stomach larger with the sleeve. I know with the bypass I struggled to eat 2 bites and then I was sooo full like i just ate a Thanksgiving dinner. My stomach held 2 ounces and when drinking it was rough drinking more than a swallow or 2 of liquid at a time. It took me hours and hours to get a 10 oz shake down me. If you can drink 10 ounces in 10 minutes and its just 10 days post op then that would be highly unusual, I would think your surgeon left your stomach larger than most. It took me over a year to be able to drink 10 ounces in 30 minutes without throwing it back up. It simply didnt fit in my stomach. But you are losing weight so thats the important thing.

Good luck,

Cheyenne

Good Morning everyone,

It has been a very long time since I have posted. So many things going on.

I do hope to post more often.

I am doing well although for the year I managed to gain 10 pounds. Anyway, I am working on taking that back off.

10 days post op should be purees if I recall correctly but limited quantities. Don't push it too soon. This can be an issue long term. You must control and stay within your limits as indicated by your program.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Good Morning everyone,

It has been a very long time since I have posted. So many things going on.

I do hope to post more often.

I am doing well although for the year I managed to gain 10 pounds. Anyway, I am working on taking that back off.

10 days post op should be purees if I recall correctly but limited quantities. Don't push it too soon. This can be an issue long term. You must control and stay within your limits as indicated by your program.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Hi Ralph! Glad to hear from you!!! Sure have missed your input.

10 pounds will come off fast.. :)

Cheyenne

Back