• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Unable to eat

Lrin34

I do not know if this is common or something that I am having an issue with. I am three weeks out and I can not get in enough of anything. My surgeon thinks he may need to go in and dilate my stomach to help me out. I am lucky to get in 40g of protein a day and 400 calories. This is pretty much sipping and eating all day long. Two bites and I'm full or even throwing up. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to things that make me sick. One day its fine then later I can not eat something. I am on Zofran four times a day hoping that will help me and maybe get me to eat and drink more but no luck so far. I have lost 21 pounds the first two weeks and I have not bothered to check since then. Does anyone else have this issue or any suggestions.

Reactions: PJC
I do not know if this is common or something that I am having an issue with. I am three weeks out and I can not get in enough of anything. My surgeon thinks he may need to go in and dilate my stomach to help me out. I am lucky to get in 40g of protein a day and 400 calories. This is pretty much sipping and eating all day long. Two bites and I'm full or even throwing up. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to things that make me sick. One day its fine then later I can not eat something. I am on Zofran four times a day hoping that will help me and maybe get me to eat and drink more but no luck so far. I have lost 21 pounds the first two weeks and I have not bothered to check since then. Does anyone else have this issue or any suggestions.

Hi Lrin34! Sorry you are having problems.

I had a terrible time getting my protein in the first 3 months. As times passes you will be happy you have a small pouch. The small tummy will make all the difference how full you will get to lose your weight. My surgeon had me eat fish. It's easy to digest, flaky white fish is my favorite. Tuna, Salmon etc. is great for protein. I was told not to get all upset if I couldnt get my protein all in at first. It will happen eventually. I used to eat a spoonful of cottage cheese with fish with applesauce. It was so yummy and I don't even like cottage cheese all that much.

You went through all this to get a smaller tummy. Don't undo everything you have gone through. My pouch was only holding 2 ounces in the beginning. It will stretch on it's own over time. You dont have to come home from the hospital eating tons of protein. It will happen in due time.

Good luck to you!

Cheyenne

In re-reading what I wrote.. I just wanted to say I was on a liquid diet the first 2 wks. I had broth and cranberry juice and jello. I also started the protein shakes which I had once a day after I got home. I also had trouble getting my liquids down at first. Then I was allowed tiny amounts of food at 3 weeks out. I added different foods until 8 weeks out at which time I could eat anything as long as I chewed thoroughly and ate very small amounts at a time. There are many roads to Rome. Talk to your surgeon and see what he can come up with besides stretching your tummy only a few wks after surgery. My opinion would be it would be a huge mistake but you must do what you and he think best.

Good Luck,

Cheyenne

Cheyenne, I saw the surgeon last week and he is giving me till the second to see if I can get more in with the help of Zofran. If not I have to go for a scope to see if there is a blockage of some sort an I not and I have not increased my intake he will have to dilate it. I'm sleeping all the time from lack of energy and when awake all I do is sip protein shakes to still vomit and not even get close to the minimum he wants to see. My primary care is taking care of all the injections to try and get my body the vitamins it needs and checking my blood work weekly. I only hope I am having a slow start. I was proud today since I was able to get I 42.5g of protein and 425 calories without vomiting. For me this is a major goal. We will see what happens over the next to weeks. I see my primary care in two days.

Cheyenne, I saw the surgeon last week and he is giving me till the second to see if I can get more in with the help of Zofran. If not I have to go for a scope to see if there is a blockage of some sort an I not and I have not increased my intake he will have to dilate it. I'm sleeping all the time from lack of energy and when awake all I do is sip protein shakes to still vomit and not even get close to the minimum he wants to see. My primary care is taking care of all the injections to try and get my body the vitamins it needs and checking my blood work weekly. I only hope I am having a slow start. I was proud today since I was able to get I 42.5g of protein and 425 calories without vomiting. For me this is a major goal. We will see what happens over the next to weeks. I see my primary care in two days.

Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

Just to let you know, I have the same type symptoms as you but it's not from my bariatric surgery. I am hospitalized again the last week now from having a stone in my liver duct. They took out my gallbladder about a month ago and left a stone in. They are going to try to get it out today through the radiology dept. It has caused me all kinds of problems and I haven't been able to eat or drink much at all and I came in here dehydrated and had acute renal failure from throwing up and being dehydrated so badly. They now have me feeling better so hopefully they can get the stone out today! I have had pancreatitis so bad both before and after my gallbladder removal. I thought I'd feel great after my gallbladder was removed but that was just the start of my problems. Be sure they check your pancreatic enzymes.

Best of luck to you!

Cheyenne

I will make a list to have the labs done and I am sure the scope will show any stones since the surgeon mentioned blockages but I am going to ask for an ultrasound as well. I know they did a ton of blood work two weeks post op but I do not think they did any pancreatic labs. I was so violently ill last night I ended up just taking a shower and going to bed instead of going to the gym. Woke up with a stomach ache so taking my Zofran to get me going for the day.

Sorry to hear your so sick. I had a lot of trouble those first few weeks. It got better with time for me I hope it does for you too. Keep us posted.

Hello Lrin34:
Welcome happy to have you and congrats on loosing the weight and keep it off please let me know how hard have it been
to stay on point with your eating specially the food you like. I have my bypass (Roux-en-Y) about one and half month ago I lost 45 pounds so far I am not a spring chiken anymore but I will continue to follow my doctors oder and stay on track with my eating and my activity level thanks for sharing your success with the group.

Joygirl55;)

Hi Cheyenne

You are in my prayer for speedy recovery. Best wishes.

Joygirl55:)

Thanks Joygirl! They got my stone out of my liver duct a couple days ago, and at first I felt so much better but one of my nurses accidentally closed off my bile drainage, which had to drain for another week and all the bile backed up inside of me and it took them 20 hours to figure out why it wasn't draining. Now I'm sick to my stomach and feeling so bad when I had been feeling so great at first. :mad: Nothing in life is very easy..

Cheyenne

Thanks Joygirl! They got my stone out of my liver duct a couple days ago, and at first I felt so much better but one of my nurses accidentally closed off my bile drainage, which had to drain for another week and all the bile backed up inside of me and it took them 20 hours to figure out why it wasn't draining. Now I'm sick to my stomach and feeling so bad when I had been feeling so great at first. :mad: Nothing in life is very easy..

Cheyenne

Hi Cheyenne:

AWWWW I am sorry you have to go to so much hang in there I am praying for you to feel better.

Joygirl55:(

Wow, this is a tough one for you.

It is difficult to get everything in the first month.

I don't know what protocol you are following, but the first week I was on all liquid, clear.

The second began with shakes and clear liquids.

The third was puree foods and finally on the fourth week started with small amounts of food.

In the beginning one egg was all I could consume in one meal. That is due to the size of my stomach, which was the whole purpose of the operation.

I am now almost 7 months post op and still no hunger. I am getting in all the protein I need supplementing with protein shakes (premier vanilla or chocolate, yummy) or I also use Isopure grape flavored.

I get all the fluids I need. However, I still cannot eat a lot at a meal and that is OK.

I get my 80-90 grams of protein, still very limited on amount of veggies I can consume so I am using Metamucil. I do manage to consume 1200 to 1500 calories a day and I have now had days where I got up to 2000 calories a couple of times, but this is not the norm.

Ralph

I had the same issues and had to go back in for dehydration and while I was there they checked to make sure I didn't have a blockage, which I didn't. It's very good to have it checked out but keep in mind it takes awhile for the swelling to go down which makes it really hard to eat/ drink anything.
I was horrible with protein and drinking. I am now 4 months post surgery and actually don't mind eating now and drink normally. I promise you that it does get easier. There is light at the end of the tunnel and you will be very happy you have made this decision (something I questioned a lot while going through what you are going through now)
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

I am at one year and just now consume around 800 calories per day. During my first few months I averaged around 450. Almost all of my calories were protien as I was drinking three protein shakes per day and eating things like greek yogurt and eggs. It does get better and it is a little unnerving to consume so little, as everyone has said it does get easier.

Best wishes

I also have issues with eating... when i do eat it hurts my stomach and I don't really have an appetite. i drink protein drinks twice a day and will nibble on something to eat at lunch or dinner but I know i am not getting enough for my body i can feel it in my muscles. Kinda at a lost with what to do.. The nutritionist is impatient with me and does not explain anything to me.. can someone help please?

I also have issues with eating... when i do eat it hurts my stomach and I don't really have an appetite. i drink protein drinks twice a day and will nibble on something to eat at lunch or dinner but I know i am not getting enough for my body i can feel it in my muscles. Kinda at a lost with what to do.. The nutritionist is impatient with me and does not explain anything to me.. can someone help please?

WELCOME to the Forum!!!

You're about 6 wks post surgery. You should be feeling pretty good by now, although keep in mind that the first couple months after surgery, you may only be able to eat a couple of tablespoons of food at a time. My new stomach only held 2 ounces at first. If you try to eat more than a couple ounces then it will hurt because it's stretching out.

If I were you I would call the surgeon and talk to him directly. Tell him that the nutritionist is impatient with you. I think the doctor would be interested in knowing this. Some people are just born rude and impatient but they shouldn't be in a job that needs people skills like being a nutritionist who is so important in the success of a bariatric patient.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Cheyenne :cool:

not eating

Thanks Chyenne,

I also have been told that i can eat small amounts of salad at this time is this true....????:confused:
I also have only lost 15% of my weight goal and i should be higher than that.. do you have any suggestions for me.. I walk 2 miles every other day and .50 miles on the off days .... I was 234 and am now 211...
thanks april

It does take time before you can eat anything in larger quantities. I am approaching one year this 11/4/2014. I finally can eat a whole sandwich; two slices of whole wheat and whatever inside. Last night it was a steak sandwich.

I couldn't go near bread in the early post op months.

I still have trouble with salads, but getting better now. They create a lot of gas for me.

Burping is a by-product of this surgery.

You must eat SLOWLY!!!! In the first couple of months you must must must eat slowly. Learn to pace. Stop after a little bit has been consumed and then go back and finish your meal.

I like two eggs, one slice of cheese and maybe one slice of bread for breakfast. However, I must go at it slowly; very slowly. Many times I stop half way through my breakfast and take a 15 minute break. That works for me.

You will get to know the signs of eating too quickly and/or filling up.

I remember in the first and second month having more than one egg for breakfast was impossible.

Hope I gave you some insight here.

Ralph

Back