• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Undecided on Procedure Type, Looking for Advice

AAO

Hello! I am anticipating having bariatric surgery in September of this year, however I am undecided on wether to proceed with the Roux & Y or the gastric sleeve. My surgeon recommended the Roux & Y due to my history of reflux, however I am torn. The surgeon that I spoke to prior to this particular surgeon actually recommended the sleeve with no mention of any issues associated with reflux. Everyone that I talk to (coworkers or friends) recommends the sleeve and has nothing but bad things to say about the Roux & Y. This information that I receive is all from hear say, not personal experiences. I am so conflicted. I want to listen to the advice of my surgeon and have the best procedure possible, however I want to hear more stories from people that have actually had either of these procedures completed. I am interested to know the pros and cons of each surgery type. As much information as possible will be great to know, as this will help me make my decision over the next 5 months. Thank you in advance!

The sleeve procedure, which has a 50% success rate for patients keeping the weight off over time, will not help you in any way with your reflux. Essentially, all they are doing is removing a part of the stomach, leaving a vertical sleeve in place, but also leaving your duodenal switch is place as well. Nothing is rerouted and if you have heartburn or reflux, you may continue to have it as you adjust and recover. Bypass surgery, which has a 75% success rate for patients keeping the weight off over time, will eliminate both reflux and heartburn, as they reroute your system. The duodenal switch procedure, which has an 85% success rate, will do the same, as it is kind of a mix between the two surgeries, yet still incorporates a bit of rerouting that also eliminates the issue.

I personally went with the bypass for the elimination of both heartburn and reflux, as I was told that if I developed either I had a 95% chance of developing throat cancer within a year. It was deemed medically necessary as well for insurance purposes after having a scope done and examining my throat. I can tell you I don't have either, haven't had any issues with either since the surgery. I've since had another scope done and so long as I don't stretch out my new tummy over time, I won't be at risk for developing either condition. I can tell you a few of the pros and cons to bypass per my experience, but I'm sure I'll miss some! So far, the pros are that the tool works whether you want it to or not...which might for some be a con? Since things are rerouted, you have a tiny tummy, and if you eat too fast, too much, or the wrong kinds of foods, there is nothing stopping that new tiny tummy from causing either dumping syndrome or severe nausea and vomiting. So, yes, it works! If there is any chance you can't embrace your new lifestyle and move into the life of a protein based diet, don't waste your time on having the bypass done. People who sink back into bad habits of chocolate, sodas, chips, pasta, bread, etc. live a miserable life, because the tool keeps working. Because of that, old habits can make you sick on a daily basis. If you hear of bypass patients who are sick all the time a year out of surgery, a huge part of it is not eating properly. o_O Bypass surgery takes more time to recover from as well. I don't know if that is a con? I can't think of anything else at the moment but I do hope you are able to settle on what works for you! It is a big decision so best of luck on whichever you choose!

Thank you Pixx for the information. I appreciate hearing others' experiences, because this will help me in the long run to decide what is best for me. I have been leaning toward the bypass, but so far those around me have discouraged it. I will probably look to attend support group meetings in my area to see if I can talk to others face to face as well. I am happy to hear it worked well for you.

Hello! I am anticipating having bariatric surgery in September of this year, however I am undecided on wether to proceed with the Roux & Y or the gastric sleeve. My surgeon recommended the Roux & Y due to my history of reflux, however I am torn. The surgeon that I spoke to prior to this particular surgeon actually recommended the sleeve with no mention of any issues associated with reflux. Everyone that I talk to (coworkers or friends) recommends the sleeve and has nothing but bad things to say about the Roux & Y. This information that I receive is all from hear say, not personal experiences. I am so conflicted. I want to listen to the advice of my surgeon and have the best procedure possible, however I want to hear more stories from people that have actually had either of these procedures completed. I am interested to know the pros and cons of each surgery type. As much information as possible will be great to know, as this will help me make my decision over the next 5 months. Thank you in advance!

If I was you, I would talk with your surgeon and ask him your questions. I am to have a sleeve done in May. My surgeon said for me the sleeve would be the best because there are less complications and for my age (57). Wish you good luck!

I am happy to hear this procedure worked for you. I appreciate the feedback. Thank you!

In my initial meeting with the Bariatric surgeon, I told him I wanted the sleeve. However, the more I am reading about both procedures, I am now thinking bypass. I spoke to the bariatric coordinator today and she says I have to lose the weight the nutritionist set for me to lose and then will have to go back to the surgeon to have him change to bypass. She won't submit to the insurance until after all that is done. It is so frustrating as I am trying to have surgery before my insurance resets in July!

Good luck with everything! I hope it all works out. Keep me posted on how things go after your surgery.

Hello. I am new to the group. I have lost 37 pounds since 12/1. I am currently in a bariatric program. Looks like surgery will be in June. I would like to lose another 127 pounds. My question is sleeve or gastric bypass? I have witnessed someone with the sleeve and was leaker. She was hospitalized for over 30 days. The sleeve scares me.
Looking for advice. Thanks

In my initial meeting with the Bariatric surgeon, I told him I wanted the sleeve. However, the more I am reading about both procedures, I am now thinking bypass. I spoke to the bariatric coordinator today and she says I have to lose the weight the nutritionist set for me to lose and then will have to go back to the surgeon to have him change to bypass. She won't submit to the insurance until after all that is done. It is so frustrating as I am trying to have surgery before my insurance resets in July!
I had to wait 6 months to have it done and in that amount of time I had to go to support groups, classes, meet with a shrink and lose weight, it went by pretty fast, but I do understand that you would want it done before your insurance starts over again

Back