• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Undecided on which procedure to have !

Jay311xoxo

I'm very excited to be beginning this brand new journey and I attended the seminar. However, I am still having a difficult time deciding between the gastric sleeve and the bypass. If anyone else has felt or feels the same way or has advice please share! It is not an easy decision to make and would like to know how others feel. Thanks!

I'm very excited to be beginning this brand new journey and I attended the seminar. However, I am still having a difficult time deciding between the gastric sleeve and the bypass. If anyone else has felt or feels the same way or has advice please share! It is not an easy decision to make and would like to know how others feel. Thanks!
I know people personally that have had success with both... But the friend that had the bypass has lost more, I don't know the eating habits of either. There is advantages to both... Bypass is considered the gold standard of bariatric surgery. They compare all procedures to that a far as how well they work. That is why alot of surgeons no longer offer the Lap Band. I believe the big difference is with the sleeve you can eat or tolerate food that you can't on the bypass ie sugars.... Bypass is reversible because things are rerouted, The sleeve part of the stomach is removed and can't be put back. I believe those are the main things... Probably more just have morning brain. I have choose to do the Bypass it has been done for a long time... Hope that gives you a little help.... The surgeon can help with what they think is best for you. I knew what I wanted he recommended either the bypass or the switch.. I did have the lapband 5-6 years ago with no luck, i ended up gaining weight. Had complications with food getting stuck. Anyways we are here for you, Ton of knowledge on this site.

Thanks so much Keith! I appreciate your advise and you taking the time to respond to my thread. Your awesome! Hope things work out for you and that you have a better experience this time around than when you had the lap band. I'd like to know about your journey as you go through it.

Be happy to share the journey.... Hope it gets easier to decide on the surgery best for you.... Hope you have good support system it is nice to have as much support as possible... And to keep your mind straight and motivated.

I also had gastric bypass, only because you have a better chance of losing More weight, but you need to make that decision on your own, I was worried that it would be more painful having the bypass but there is very little pain, and the pain meds they give you work
Thanks for sharing! Would you mind me asking if you have malabsorption ? I keep reading that people who have had the bypass tend to suffer from that than people who have the sleeve.

Thanks for sharing! Would you mind me asking if you have malabsorption ? I keep reading that people who have had the bypass tend to suffer from that than people who have the sleeve.
It is to early to tell if I will have malabsorption I just had surgery in December, if you follow the plan and listen to your Dr you should be fine

If I am not mistaken malabsorption is one of the aids that help you lose weight so easily, and as long as you get the vitamins and correct amount of Protein your body should have minimal if any issues with it.. There will be a adjustment period for your body as you know...

I had lap band surgery 8 years ago and lost 90 lbs. but gained almost all of it back after a few years. I was told that happens a lot with the lap band, which the surgeon didn't tell me. My primary doctor set me up with the surgeon I used for the gastric bypass. I had surgery Jan. 10th. Best decision I have ever made. He took the time to explain all the differences and benefits of each surgery before I decided which I should do. Unfortunately my insurance didn't cover the gastric sleeve but I decided on bypass. So far I have lost 35 lbs. since Jan. 2.
Best of luck with your decision on which surgery you want. We're here to support each other.

I think I am having sleeve. I was initially leaning more toward the bypass mostly because the almost immediate decrease in A1C (blood sugar) and the thought of if I messed up on diet with bypass , I would have really painful reminder not to do that. But nurse practioner suggessted Sleeve since I dont have Gerd, my A1C wasnt real high. The two pluses for sleeve, less vitamins required, the portion of stomach removed is where hormone released that helps cause cravings .

I think the main difference between the two is the weight loss, I figured you only get one shot at getting it right and I wanted to lose the most weight that I could, that is why I went with the bypass, I was surprised that I wasn't in much pain, and I only had one incident with not chewing well enough, it's a learning experience that we are all on, but in the end it is your decision, I'm glad I made the choice I did, good luck

I haven't had any issues since surgery Jan. 10. I went with the bypass. I don't know anyone that has had the sleeve but I have 2 friends that have had the bypass and have had great success. Best decision I have ever made. So far, I've lost 43.5 lbs. since Jan. 2, when I did the week of liquid diet before surgery. So far, so good. No pain since the day after surgery.

I have been undecided for some time since the seminar. When I talked to the coordinator she said the sleeve would make Gerd worse. The stomach acid has no way to go but straight up. I would still have to take the meds for it, most likely. So I am going to go for the bypass. It seems more complicated than the sleeve, but I guess all my parts will still be in there just rearranged. You're right it is a tough decision. Meditate on it often.

For me I chose to have the sleeve over the bypass because I learned that I could never take advil again if I had the bypass, but with the sleeve I could have that occasionally. I wanted to have that as an option since advil works better for me than tylenol ever did. As for the weight loss, the bypass will have a larger result sooner, but I can still achieve the same thing with the sleeve if I continue to do what I am supposed to do.

For me I chose to have the sleeve over the bypass because I learned that I could never take advil again if I had the bypass, but with the sleeve I could have that occasionally. I wanted to have that as an option since advil works better for me than tylenol ever did. As for the weight loss, the bypass will have a larger result sooner, but I can still achieve the same thing with the sleeve if I continue to do what I am supposed to do.
I was always an advil girl too, but with bypass I know I can't, but since surgery I have noticed Tylenol works really good now, it may be because it gets in my system faster, not sure ,just thought I would share

I was always an advil girl too, but with bypass I know I can't, but since surgery I have noticed Tylenol works really good now, it may be because it gets in my system faster, not sure ,just thought I would share
thank you for sharing this, I will try tylenol next time. Do you have to crush it first or use the liquid version?

Back