• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Undecided on which procedure to have !

I have a calcium powder that I put in my drinks. It's tasteless so I don't even know it's in there. My multi-vitamin is not too big so I don't have any issues taking them. I hate taking pills. Always have but I guess I will be doing this for the rest of my life.

I have a calcium powder that I put in my drinks. It's tasteless so I don't even know it's in there. My multi-vitamin is not too big so I don't have any issues taking them. I hate taking pills. Always have but I guess I will be doing this for the rest of my life.
I should try to find that calcium powder. I bought the chewable ones and they are disgusting. But I can't take tablets without crushing them as they get stuck in my throat. What is the name of this calcium powder?

The calcium powder is called UpCal D. It has calcium and Vitamin D. I got it at the hospital pharmacy. It comes in "single serve" packets. Put one in your drink, yogurt, whatever, 3 times a day.

I also had gastric bypass, only because you have a better chance of losing More weight, but you need to make that decision on your own, I was worried that it would be more painful having the bypass but there is very little pain, and the pain meds they give you work

Thanks for sharing about the amount of pain involved. I was worried about that.

For me I chose to have the sleeve over the bypass because I learned that I could never take advil again if I had the bypass, but with the sleeve I could have that occasionally. I wanted to have that as an option since advil works better for me than tylenol ever did. As for the weight loss, the bypass will have a larger result sooner, but I can still achieve the same thing with the sleeve if I continue to do what I am supposed to do.
t
You can take advil even with the bypass. Your surgeon can offer an additional prescription to buffer the advil; my did. I don't need advil too often but when I do I take it with my advil. The name of the drug is misoprostol. If you read up on it, it helps prevent ulcers. So for the non-frequent time when I need advil, I will take it with misoprostol.
For me I chose to have the sleeve over the bypass because I learned that I could never take advil again if I had the bypass, but with the sleeve I could have that occasionally. I wanted to have that as an option since advil works better for me than tylenol ever did. As for the weight loss, the bypass will have a larger result sooner, but I can still achieve the same thing with the sleeve if I continue to do what I am supposed to do.

The major reason I went with the gastric bypass is the immediate control of diabetes.

I went from needing up to 90 units of insulin to keep my A1c under 6.0 to not needing any medications the day after my surgery.

I am post op 3+ years now and my A1c constantaly come in around 5.9 to 6.2. If I really behave (translation go low carb again) I can get my A1c down to 5.4 without any medications.

I'm very excited to be beginning this brand new journey and I attended the seminar. However, I am still having a difficult time deciding between the gastric sleeve and the bypass. If anyone else has felt or feels the same way or has advice please share! It is not an easy decision to make and would like to know how others feel. Thanks!
HI HOW ARE YOU? I AM DOING THE GASTRIC BYPASS ALL OF THE SURGERY WILL HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT I CHOSE GASTRIC BYPASS BECAUSE IT HELPS YOU TO LOSE MOST OF YOUR WEIGHT ITS THE NUMBER ONE SURGERY THAT HELPS YOU LOSE AT LEAST 70 PERCENT OF YOUR BODY FAT THE SLEEVE YOU WOULD LOSE WEIGHT THE PERCENTAGE IS LOWER AND THE PROCESS IS MUCH SLOWER I GUESS IT DEPENDS ON THE PERSON. THE BYPASS WORK PRETTY FAST (ONLY IF YOU ARE DOING WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSE TOO ) I WISH YOU THE BEST THROUGHOUT THE PROCESS OF THE SURGERY.

I'm very excited to be beginning this brand new journey and I attended the seminar. However, I am still having a difficult time deciding between the gastric sleeve and the bypass. If anyone else has felt or feels the same way or has advice please share! It is not an easy decision to make and would like to know how others feel. Thanks!
My surgeon suggested the sleeve because there are less complications and of my age(57). I thought I wanted the other one, but after talking with him, I changed my mind.

Back