• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Upcoming Gastric Bypass Surgery

Barbara Brown

Hi, I'm new to this group. Could someone please let me know what to expect post laparoscopic bypass surgery? Right after surgery to maybe up to week 4. I will have surgery in mid-May and it would help just to know others who have gone through it. Thanks so much!

Hi, I'm new to this group. Could someone please let me know what to expect post laparoscopic bypass surgery? Right after surgery to maybe up to week 4. I will have surgery in mid-May and it would help just to know others who have gone through it. Thanks so much!
I had my bypass done on April 10th. I stayed in the hospital for one night. 4 hours after the surgery I was started. On sipping water. A few hours after that I got protein. I also had to start walking the halls the same day. I was on a 10 weight limit for two weeks post surgery. I was also on an all liquid diet during this time. The last few days of this two week period was miserable as I was so sick of the shakes. They literally made me sick. At my two week post-op appt I was moved to the soft food diet, which is where I still am. I didn't have much pain after my surgery. I only took pains meds in the hospital. I try to walk as much as possible. I am also able to do cardio and everything else now. Now it's just learning what foods I can eat and to make sure I eat slow otherwise it comes back up. It's still a struggle to get all the fluids in plus food since my pouch is so small and it's not that far out from surgery yet. Hope this helps!

Hi Amber,
Thanks so much for your reply. My surgery is set for May 15, 2017, so I appreciate your response and helpful info very much. You gave me a lot of great info and a lot to think about. Today, I ordered protein ready to drinks, unflavored protein to put in clear drinks and soups, and ordered protein beef and chicken bouillon and some other protein soups for full liquid stage. Now, all I have to get is water and sugar free gelatin to take with me for clear liquid phase. Again, thanks so much.
Have a wonderful day,
Barbara

Hi Amber,
Thanks so much for your reply. My surgery is set for May 15, 2017, so I appreciate your response and helpful info very much. You gave me a lot of great info and a lot to think about. Today, I ordered protein ready to drinks, unflavored protein to put in clear drinks and soups, and ordered protein beef and chicken bouillon and some other protein soups for full liquid stage. Now, all I have to get is water and sugar free gelatin to take with me for clear liquid phase. Again, thanks so much.
Have a wonderful day,
Barbara
Barbara,
It sounds like you have a good grasp on the protein. What was so hard for me is that my surgeon only allows a certain brand of protein products the first two weeks post-op. The last few days I gave up on those and got me some premixed ones. Now that I'm on foods I still typically have one shake a day in the morning. I've been getting the ready to drink Premiere Protein ones. I would also get some sugar free popsicles if you're allowed to have them. Good luck!

I use Premier Protein also. In the clear liquid phase, I don't think I can have it, so I got some Isopure clear ready to drink. We have to travel 250 miles for surgery, and then will be in hotel for discharge night from hospital, so I will get the sugar free popsicles when I return home. Any other tips you have would be greatly appreciated.

I use Premier Protein also. In the clear liquid phase, I don't think I can have it, so I got some Isopure clear ready to drink. We have to travel 250 miles for surgery, and then will be in hotel for discharge night from hospital, so I will get the sugar free popsicles when I return home. Any other tips you have would be greatly appreciated.
I think you've got a good grasp on it. I would make sure you have plenty of blankets and pillows along for the ride. The day I went home I was still sore and some of the rougher bumps were bothersome.

Amber pretty much sumed it up, I didnt get sick though, everyone is different though, you will be fine, I also drank the premire shakes, and still drink them for lunch at work, monday thru thursday, and then we all eat out on friday, so i normally get a piece of chicken or some other kind of protein, and throw the bun out, so far so good, so glad i had it done though

Back