• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Upcoming Surgery Input please!!

Jniz

My surgery date is scheduled to go ahead on the 15th of June. I have decided to let my wife have my date as hers was postponed. They want to reschedule me for the 27th of July. The problem is my son’s wedding is on the 15th of August. I will have a lot going on with the wedding and will be staying in a motel. I would love for some input should I reschedule for after the wedding? This would be a little over 2 weeks after surgery? My gut reaction is to go for it! Or would that be a mistake?

Thanks for any and all feedback!!!

I’d say it would depend on how you’ve done after past surgeries if you’ve had any and current comorbidities. But, you might want to consider the super outside possibility of complications. Id err on the side of caution, but that’s me.

First, ask if they can get you in a week or so earlier. It never hurts to ask; the worst thing they can say is "no". If they do say no, I am iffy on this point. There are people who have gone back to work in 2 weeks, with no issues. I had literally no issues. By 2 weeks I was perfectly fine, slightly sore but that is it. On the other hand, complications can happen and you can't miss your sons wedding. So, you really have to consider how long you'll be in a hotel, how much you actually have to do for the wedding etc. But if it was me, I am sorry to say I would postpone. See if they can get you in right after. You would never forgive yourself if you missed his wedding.

I really appreciate all your feedback!!!

First off I will see if there is any other surgery options earlier. However, it is my Sons wedding and I have quite a bit of setup and tear down to do and don't want to come up short. I think all of you have a valid point as much as it pains me 2 weeks is probably not enough.

I couldn't have even attended a wedding two weeks after my RNY - much less participate
My surgery went perfect actually everything has gone perfect with my recovery - I am 7 months out
I was extremely tired the first three weeks and I felt very weak the first 3 weeks - lack of food lack of protein
2 weeks out I finally left the house and went to the grocery store - big mistake - halfway thru the store I started sweating big time
Got to the car and had to rest for 15 minutes before I could drive the 2 miles home
Don't put too much on yourself - enjoy the wedding to the fullest then have surgery
I tired very easily the first two months or so

I couldn't have even attended a wedding two weeks after my RNY - much less participate
My surgery went perfect actually everything has gone perfect with my recovery - I am 7 months out
I was extremely tired the first three weeks and I felt very weak the first 3 weeks - lack of food lack of protein
2 weeks out I finally left the house and went to the grocery store - big mistake - halfway thru the store I started sweating big time
Got to the car and had to rest for 15 minutes before I could drive the 2 miles home
Don't put too much on yourself - enjoy the wedding to the fullest then have surgery
I tired very easily the first two months or so
Thank Desi, Sounds like I will be rescheduling!

I really appreciate all your feedback!!!

First off I will see if there is any other surgery options earlier. However, it is my Sons wedding and I have quite a bit of setup and tear down to do and don't want to come up short. I think all of you have a valid point as much as it pains me 2 weeks is probably not enough.
Remember that you will not be able to lift more than 10 pounds for 4 weeks. Happy the dates seem sooner then you were talking about before. Just because I am nosey is this for the Son in Tucson? If So August sucks you want to feel well just for the over 100 every day and that will be the monsoon time of the year. Humid and over 100 is not fun. Happy for your wife to have a June date. good luck to her.

Back