• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Update on status of surgery

donnaf

After undergoing the pre-surgical testing, heart/lung capacity/upper GI/physiological, it was determined by the surgeon that I was too great a risk for surgery at this time. He felt I was at risk by 10% and that was too great a risk in his opinion to take with my life. I agreed and seeing as he felt also that what was my main purpose in having the surgery (getting rid of diabetes/high blood pressure) would not be resolved by the surgery, I too didn't feel that I should take a risk either. I am disappointed of course but I am grateful for having a surgeon that spelled it out for me and didn't go the route "oh I am the surgeon, I can do no wrong so let's proceed". I want to wish all who are going/have had/or are thinking about the surgery lots of success in their journey. One positive thing that has come out of this is my attitude about food has changed greatly and I am continuing the pre-surgicial food plan still and continuing to lose weight.

Hi Donna, I am glad that your Doctor spelled out everything for you and warned you about the greater risk. I'm not so sure about the diabetes and high blood pressure. I didn't have diabetes, but many on here have gotten off all medication after the surgery, as for the high blood pressure, I've got my dosage in half and may be able to get rid of it altogether soon. I'm still working on it. I wish you continued success in your weight loss. Just don't give up, it will happen for you. Stop by and keep in touch, we care.

Frank

:cool:

The surgeon's reasoning about the diabetes and blood pressure was that I have had both for a long time (and was for a long time a bad diabetic in eating habits and such) and he didn't feel that the surgery would take it completely away (like I wanted it to) but that it would probably decrease the amount of insulin I take and the blood pressure medicine but I won't get rid of it.

Back