• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Update: pooping

rjbj

Oh, man, last night and today, I've felt clogged. Talked to the MD, who put me on miralax which, unlike the "flavorless" supplements I've gotten so far, is in fact flavorless. Three days of that in the morning. Aside from that, things are proceeding well. The only thing that is stopping me from returning to work teaching virtually is my voice. The anesthesiologist must have jammed a tail pipe down my throat because my vocal cords still tire super easily, but that's improving too.

That's all the jammed tail pipe news for now.

I am glad to hear that miralax is tasteless because I have to start taking it during my pre-op diet and I was dreading it. I hope it works, I already have constipation issues, so I am fearful of what lies ahead for me. (TMI- SORRY)
I'm also in that boat. It was always my number one thing to bring up at appointments that I was worried about since I was already taking two stool softeners a day prior to surgery. I bought the big double pack of Miralax at Costco and was surprised how it disappeared in regular water with no feel or taste. You could add a little Crystal lite if you want. Anyway, my sleeve surgery was this past Thursday night and today I'm suffering from diarrhea of all things! I guess be careful what you wish for?

I'm also in that boat. It was always my number one thing to bring up at appointments that I was worried about since I was already taking two stool softeners a day prior to surgery. I bought the big double pack of Miralax at Costco and was surprised how it disappeared in regular water with no feel or taste. You could add a little Crystal lite if you want. Anyway, my sleeve surgery was this past Thursday night and today I'm suffering from diarrhea of all things! I guess be careful what you wish for?
Constipation sucks, diarrhea sucks. But I can honestly say, . I would take diarrhea over constipation any day. :confused:

I often suggest adding a daily plant-based fiber. Psyllium is too harsh for the 1st several months, especially if you had gastric bypass. I started taking Benefiber before WLS. I take it every evening almost religiously, adding 3 spoonfuls to a glass of Gatorade Zero. Dissolves completely with NO TASTE! Woohoo! I also have my bariatric prescription for colace 2X daily. Works like a charm. Of course this is not to be used as medical advice. Please check with your bariatric team for what's best for you. Good luck. Glad the Miralax is working for you rjbj!!!

I'm feeling pretty good about all this right now. I went to the store today, first time really out of the house since surgery. It was a good half hour of walking around. It was actually more tiring than I expected, but doable. Tomorrow I'm testing out my voice with an online class. I usually teach three a day. My first-year students are reading newspapers as the main project for the semester, and I picked this week--of all weeks--to be out of the classroom.

My throat was sore for over 2 weeks post. It was so bad I went in for follow up to make sure everything was OK because I couldn't really swallow. I talk a lot for my job, between water and throat coat I can manage through the end of the week but then seldom talk on weekends.

Back