• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

upper Gi test

donnayork

I have my upper Gi scheduled for tomorrow, can anyone please tell me what to expect at this appt, also the hospital called to say that one of my blood test got miss handled and I need to get it redone. Thought I should have it done before the upper GI since I have to drink that contrast stuff. Am I correct on that? During the upper GI do they do chest xrays? I am assuming thats how they see if things pass through ok. These may be off hand questions but I have no ideal how this test works. Info would be much helpful. Thanks Donna:confused:

Donna-When I had a GI series done it was to try to find the source of the pain I was having and was not related to my RNY. I had to drink contrast fluid, wait about 30 minutes then had a MRI done because all of my organs needed to be examined, not just the upper GI tract. Because your test is for something more specific and for a smaller area (upper GI) you will probably be having the procedure done via Xray as shown below. As far as the blood testing, you should ask if the specific test you need requires fasting. If it does, then yes, you need to have it done before you drink the fluids you will be given for your GI test.

Preparation
When the patient needs to undertake an upper GI, he or she is asked to take a fast on the previous day, depending on what the doctor wishes the patient to take or what might be needed for this testing. Normally, the patient must avoid solid food for up to eight hours prior to the appointment and avoid any type of consumable, including water, three hours prior to the testing.

Process
This is a non-invasive test, consisting of an X-ray. In the X-ray room, the patient is given two medications to drink that help improve the quality of the resulting X-rays. The patient may also be administered glucagon, a pancreatic hormone that is injected intravenously. The first drink is very carbonated, made from baking-soda crystals which expands the stomach by causing gas to build in the stomach. The second drink is a contrast agent, typically a thick, chalky liquid containing a barium salt. (This test is sometimes called a barium swallow.) The barium outlines the stomach on the X-rays, helping the doctor find tumors or other abnormal areas.

The patient then has X-rays taken. The doctors usually take a series of pictures with the patient in a number of different positions to capture different poses and views of the digestive system. Normally the patient needs to hold their breath to avoid the pictures from blurring and causing unneeded challenges in diagnosing the illness.

During the test, the doctor may pump air into the stomach to make features such as small tumors easier to see.

After the testPatients may feel nauseated immediately after drinking the barium. This is common and may last up to 72 hours following the test. Patients may eat as normal after the procedure but it is important to drink a lot of water to allow the barium to pass through the body more easily. Constipation is common but diarrhea will affect some patients. Another common side effect is the bleaching of solid waste matter; this may last up to 48 hours

Thank you so much Pat for the info, I was kind of on the right track. Yap need to fast for the blood work so I will go there first then for the upper Gi. Hope I dont get sick to my stomach cause I will be taking myself to this appt and its over a hour drive in heavy traffic wouldnt be fun to be sick to my stomach on that drive, lol its one more step forward.
thank you
Donna

Donna-Glad my information helped you out. I didn't have any nausea from the contrast solution but I didn't have to drnk the carbonated stuff or have any air pumped into me either. Take a plastic container or a couple of gallon size sealable baggies with you just in case. It doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Back