• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Upper GI vs. Endoscopy

My surgeon has ordered an upper GI barium swallow test. He gave me the option of having the procedure done at a hospital near me, but I could not find any place in my area that does an upper GI. They do an endoscopy instead. So now I have to drive 45 minutes to have the upper GI done at their special clinic location. Also, the procedure isn’t covered by my insurance. I have pay out of pocket towards my deductible (sigh).

At first, I thought about calling the nurse and asking if my surgeon could change the order to an endoscopy. Then I remembered what some members here said: Be nice to your team, don’t be difficult, follow their instructions, etc. So I’m thinking I should just do what the surgeon requested. But I was just wondering how many patients had an upper GI and how many had an endoscopy? I also wonder why my surgeon prefers upper GI versus endoscopy considering upper GI is an old school type of procedure. My husband thinks that maybe it’s because an endoscopy requires anesthesia and my surgeon wants to limit my intake of anesthesia. I cannot ask the surgeon these questions myself because I won’t see him until pre-surgery and I don’t even have a surgery date yet. Any advice?

I think this is an important question. Can you phone your surgeon? I don't think asking a question will seem impertinent, especially if it gives a medical rep an opportunity to showcase his/her knowledge. It might even enhance your relationship.

I had to get an EGD/endoscopy prior to surgery rather than an upper GI and asked my surgeon the question at the time about how she made that choice, and she told me that she did upper GIs in patients with no history of reflux. I had a history of a chronic cough that went away with night time Pepcid (so could have been from reflux)- so she got the EGD because it is more sensitive (ie: you get direct visualization of the esophagus) for changes of chronic acid reflux. If you have bad reflux causing significant esophageal irritation, sleeve can make that worse and then a person would be a better candidate for gastric bypass. Also, chronic reflux can cause precancerous changes in the esophagus that can only be diagnosed with biopsy, so if a person has that, it would be good to know before surgery

I had to get an EGD/endoscopy prior to surgery rather than an upper GI and asked my surgeon the question at the time about how she made that choice, and she told me that she did upper GIs in patients with no history of reflux. I had a history of a chronic cough that went away with night time Pepcid (so could have been from reflux)- so she got the EGD because it is more sensitive (ie: you get direct visualization of the esophagus) for changes of chronic acid reflux. If you have bad reflux causing significant esophageal irritation, sleeve can make that worse and then a person would be a better candidate for gastric bypass. Also, chronic reflux can cause precancerous changes in the esophagus that can only be diagnosed with biopsy, so if a person has that, it would be good to know before surgery
Yes! I totally forgot they took a biopsy too!! I will say that the endoscopy nap was the best time I’ve ever had under anesthesia LOL I’m not good under anesthesia, so I was pleasantly surprised to wake up so refreshed!

My surgeon has ordered an upper GI barium swallow test. He gave me the option of having the procedure done at a hospital near me, but I could not find any place in my area that does an upper GI. They do an endoscopy instead. So now I have to drive 45 minutes to have the upper GI done at their special clinic location. Also, the procedure isn’t covered by my insurance. I have pay out of pocket towards my deductible (sigh).

At first, I thought about calling the nurse and asking if my surgeon could change the order to an endoscopy. Then I remembered what some members here said: Be nice to your team, don’t be difficult, follow their instructions, etc. So I’m thinking I should just do what the surgeon requested. But I was just wondering how many patients had an upper GI and how many had an endoscopy? I also wonder why my surgeon prefers upper GI versus endoscopy considering upper GI is an old school type of procedure. My husband thinks that maybe it’s because an endoscopy requires anesthesia and my surgeon wants to limit my intake of anesthesia. I cannot ask the surgeon these questions myself because I won’t see him until pre-surgery and I don’t even have a surgery date yet. Any advice?
Advanced radiology does the upper GI xrays, that is where I had mine done. Maybe you can find one closer to you.
If it counts towards your deductible then your insurance does cover it but you just haven't met your deductible yet.
Also, I had to had both done. The Xrays and the scope.

Back