• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

UT support groups

Happier

There are no known in-person support groups in UT. This missing piece of the puzzle is an integral part to the success of bariatric surgery. Surgery centers in UT are lacking in this area. Intermountain has an online “support” group that has live educational sessions. Helpful information though but, again, additional in-person support is needed.

Start one.

I needed an Al-Anon group because I was being suffocated by my brother and my best friend, both of whom were toxic alcoholics. I talked to a woman from church and she helped me set up one of the Sunday School rooms so it would be open on Wednesday nights and the Wednesday Winners was born.

All kinds of churches and private buildings are willing to make themselves available for support groups. Look on something like Craigslist to get started, and if you don't find one, post an ad asking for others to join you.

Even though this is an online group, you can also reach out from here, as you just did. It may take a while to get a regular group, but for a long time there were only two people here in this group. If anyone popped up, we'd do everything to make them feel special and they'd move up the leadership ladder so we would all be equal.

There are Overeaters Anonymous books you can buy, as well as the AA Big Book, which has an important preamble on page 65 or 56 (sorry, can't remember which one, but it's titled "How it Works.")

Reach out to your friends and ask them if they would kindly offer their support to you so you'll have the courage to do this. That's how to add one more person. And you can bet they have a person they'd like to invite.

It's really not a mystery how these groups grow. It's a mystery that MORE groups don't know how. But you can help by reaching out.

In the Twelve Steps one of the ways AA is shown to work is by "attraction, rather than promotion." Reaching out is like a bulldozer that busts through a thick wall of denial.

Back