• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

V8

Have a glass of V-8.

My surgeon is in the strict "No Liquid Calories" camp, so I haven't drunk anything other than water or black coffee since I went off the protein shakes right after surgery. I suppose something like this might be a gray area, but I'll ask my nutritionist at my next visit.

I only mentioned it because people are reporting having trouble getting vegetables in post-op. V8 lacks fiber, compared to veggies, but i frequently advise daily intake of fiber laxative, which can easily offset that deficit.

After surgery, i took a lot of opiates. I didn't know that pain meds could contibute to constipation. Don't read below the following line if you don't want to know what happened to me.

=========================

My first bm can only referred to as horrifying. I needed to move my bowels but couldn't manage it for a few days.

When i finally got there, the stool was more than a foot long, big and solid. I was bawling my eyes out from the pain of pushing it out. it was so large and long, it couldn't be flushed. i had to break it into smaller pieces to flush. the labor pains of birthing were nothing compared to this.

TAKE A FIBER LAX EVEN BEFORE SURGERY, once or twice a day. bearing down can burst stiches internally.

Don't make the mistakes i did. use stool softeners, laxative and even anal suppositories. help elimination along by using your finger to pull the anus apart to make the opening larger if you do get the sense a bm is about to happen.

Protect your pouch. Pass stool without pushing. I cant stress this enough.

There's a lot of sodium, although the brand offers a lower-salt version. When consuming prepared food and drink, we can't control the many ingredients that comprise the whole. It would certainly be possible to dilute 50/50 with salt-free vegetable juice. But the nutritional value is high for a drink offering vegetables, which many people seem to have difficulty acquiring. I'll drink V8 as a supplement because I don't put salt on cooked food. Once it's on my plate, I'll add herbs or dill, cheese, sour cream, etc., but I don't even have a set of salt & pepper shakers on my table. I use small amounts of seasoning because I don't want to mask the taste of food.

I just had steamed asparagus a week ago, and I sprayed the spears lightly with butter-flavored Pam and tossed them with tongs, like a salad. Because the food was hot, a lot of what I applied sloughed off before it got to my plate.

But salt is a serious concern, so I use it with caution, as I also do with fat or sugar. For people who don't cook and who might eat a majority of canned food, adding a nutrient-rich beverage, or a protein drink, can be a smart idea.

Back