• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vegetarian/Non Whey Protein

Ancdani

Hi everyone! My surgery is scheduled for Jan 29th. I am removing my band and getting a gastric bypass. I’m nervous - but excited too. I’ll be starting my prep soon - and I am allergic to whey. It’s such a pain in the butt! I am desperate for either a non dairy, vegetarian, or non whey protein shake that tastes good! There are so many options - but so expensive to buy in order to taste them. I’d love to get a few suggestions so I can at least narrow it down! Thank you all so much!

Hi everyone! My surgery is scheduled for Jan 29th. I am removing my band and getting a gastric bypass. I’m nervous - but excited too. I’ll be starting my prep soon - and I am allergic to whey. It’s such a pain in the butt! I am desperate for either a non dairy, vegetarian, or non whey protein shake that tastes good! There are so many options - but so expensive to buy in order to taste them. I’d love to get a few suggestions so I can at least narrow it down! Thank you all so much!

Welcome and congratulations on your upcoming surgery date. Sorry that I can't make any suggestions, all the drinks I've tried contain whey. I hope you get some good suggestions here. One thing to note is that post surgery, your tastes change so even if you find one you like now, that may change so don't spend too much money stocking up for after surgery.

Have you tried Soylent? I haven't tried it myself but a friend of mine mentioned it last night and said she loves it. Made with soy protein instead of whey. From what I have found, it looks to be non-dairy and vegetarian. When she mentioned it, I immediately thought of this post, lol.

Thank you for thinking of me! I just did a little checking and I think it has too many grams of sugar... not by a lot though. SO I will definitely keep it in mind. That might be a small consolation if everything else I find tastes awful! So far anything I’ve tried is :confused:

Miss D, I had to give your post a giggle reaction score because of that Charlton Heston movie... Bill, what's it called? Where in the end he says, "Soylent Green is PEOPLE! It's PEOPLE!" I can't believe anyone would give a product that name, considering the cultural reference to that old movie!

Seriously though, what we need, really need, is a resource here for people who are vegan or vegetarian or have intolerances to certain food ingredients, so everyone can eat the way they need to.

My advice, in the meantime, is to find what you CAN eat and just forget about the things you can't. Protein shakes & such are not required, and if your doctor requires them, he/she should know about your allergies and reactions and offer you alternatives. It is possible to do the liquid portion with limited choices, just so long as you take your supplements faithfully and keep sipping that water, before and after surgery.

Miss D, I had to give your post a giggle reaction score because of that Charlton Heston movie... Bill, what's it called? Where in the end he says, "Soylent Green is PEOPLE! It's PEOPLE!" I can't believe anyone would give a product that name, considering the cultural reference to that old movie!

Seriously though, what we need, really need, is a resource here for people who are vegan or vegetarian or have intolerances to certain food ingredients, so everyone can eat the way they need to.

My advice, in the meantime, is to find what you CAN eat and just forget about the things you can't. Protein shakes & such are not required, and if your doctor requires them, he/she should know about your allergies and reactions and offer you alternatives. It is possible to do the liquid portion with limited choices, just so long as you take your supplements faithfully and keep sipping that water, before and after surgery.
You got it right Soylent Green was the name of the movie

Thank you! I appreciate the advice! Once I’ve figured out a couple of vegetarian options, I will definitely post my findings here in case someone else is in the same boat.

Hi! Are you able to do egg whites or pea protein? I like the Aloha brand of pea protein.

Hi DianeSeattle,

First... I just love your posts! I've been reading them all afternoon. So thoughtful and thorough! Thank you!

To answer your question, here is the link to the vegan protein powder I used. I'm not sure, though, whether 3g of sugar per serving is considered high... Vanilla Protein Powder

My story: I'm an over 40, overweight, overwhelmed woman, living in Kentucky, who is "over it." :) In October 2019, I decided to do something about it. I quit my job, flew to Utah, and hiked for a month. I lost 20 lbs and felt reenergized. That lasted about two weeks. I've kept the weight off so far, but haven't lost any more since. I decided bariatric surgery was a good option to help me succeed, so I researched and chose a procedure (ESG) that is scheduled for Feb 7, 2020.
I'm now unemployed, full of fear (irrational), and looking for support :)

Cheers!!!

Hi DianeSeattle,

First... I just love your posts! I've been reading them all afternoon. So thoughtful and thorough! Thank you!

To answer your question, here is the link to the vegan protein powder I used. I'm not sure, though, whether 3g of sugar per serving is considered high... Vanilla Protein Powder

My story: I'm an over 40, overweight, overwhelmed woman, living in Kentucky, who is "over it." :) In October 2019, I decided to do something about it. I quit my job, flew to Utah, and hiked for a month. I lost 20 lbs and felt reenergized. That lasted about two weeks. I've kept the weight off so far, but haven't lost any more since. I decided bariatric surgery was a good option to help me succeed, so I researched and chose a procedure (ESG) that is scheduled for Feb 7, 2020.
I'm now unemployed, full of fear (irrational), and looking for support :)

Cheers!!!
Welcome Heather, we're so happy to have you here. :)

Congratulations on making such a huge life change, completely scary but sounds like it was much needed. You're amazingly brave! Great job on the 20 pounds so far too.

We're here to support you so feel free to ask anything. Chances are, someone here has been through it. Fear is totally normal, especially with just a couple weeks to go. Just try to focus on the excitement of it all & as corny as it sounds, look up and say some positive affirmations every day. If I may be so bold as to suggest one, I think this is a great one for you today: “As I take on new challenges I feel calm, confident, and powerful.”

Welcome Heather, we're so happy to have you here. :)

Congratulations on making such a huge life change, completely scary but sounds like it was much needed. You're amazingly brave! Great job on the 20 pounds so far too.

We're here to support you so feel free to ask anything. Chances are, someone here has been through it. Fear is totally normal, especially with just a couple weeks to go. Just try to focus on the excitement of it all & as corny as it sounds, look up and say some positive affirmations every day. If I may be so bold as to suggest one, I think this is a great one for you today: “As I take on new challenges I feel calm, confident, and powerful.”
That affirmation is perfect! Thank you! I appreciate the warm welcome as well. Finding this forum has already helped! I'll be reciting that affirmation before bed and upon waking up!

Back