• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

very apprehensive!!

LaurieB

Went to my first meeting that explained the different types of surgery and left feeling very apprehenisive about going through with any of them. I am overweight for a reason and its because i have been making bad food choices for many years. Using food for my comfort, whether i am happy or sad, tired or excited, lonely or with friends, etc. So the surgery will make me unable to eat much at one time, but it doesnt change my "head" or miraculously make my bad food choices go away! That's where my apprehensionstems from. I value anyones response that struggled with this also.

ya know I absolutely felt the same way at the brgining. I found as I done my research the mind set changes as the body goes thru the changes. What you feel is normal. I have depression anxiety and am bi-polar. as you go thru the proccess you will have a psych evaluation and make sure your ready for surgery. Hang in there and take it day by day don't rush things will work out ok.

Went to my first meeting that explained the different types of surgery and left feeling very apprehenisive about going through with any of them. I am overweight for a reason and its because i have been making bad food choices for many years. Using food for my comfort, whether i am happy or sad, tired or excited, lonely or with friends, etc. So the surgery will make me unable to eat much at one time, but it doesnt change my "head" or miraculously make my bad food choices go away! That's where my apprehensionstems from. I value anyones response that struggled with this also.

I was overweight for many years, our family loved to eat together. Having an at home feast while we watched movies together was a regular occurrence. It was a great time. Pizza, Fried Chicken, Hamburgers, French Fries, Taco Bell, fast food and something yummy for desert. Also I cooked big meals. My husband loved to eat and so did my kids. The kids were active and stayed thin. My husband gained weight. I started out thin and then a little overweight and ended up morbidly obese.

I tried for a year as hard as I could to lose weight before I decided to go ahead with my bariatric surgery. Sure I lost a little weight, but at the end of the day, I was not successful.

The benifits of bariatric surgery is that after surgery you have a stomach that is totally full holding 2 ounces. You eat just a little and you feel like you just ate Thanksgiving dinner. Weight is lost very fast so you stay enthusiastic and watch your old clothes get bigger and bigger, til you have to give them to GoodWill. Then you have to go shopping!!! You now have more things to think about than food. I never thought I would be normal size again but I am getting there! Hallelujah!!! Sure you could re-stretch out your stomach, but when you start to overeat, your tummy hurts. That's a signal to stop eating.

My RNY bypass was the best thing that ever happened to me, I'm so happy! I would do it over in a New York second!!!

Before considering surgery, make sure you are really ready to shed the weight. I was having medical issues and at that point I wanted to lose weight in the worst way.

Good Luck with your decision,

Cheyenne

My surgery is coming up and when I started the process, I was at first very excited. Then, like you, I started to think about what I would be missing food-wise. All family functions revolve around food, that is our way of celebrating everything and I wondered if I could do it. I thought that maybe I would overeat anyway and it would be a waste of time. As I went through the pre-surgery process, I examined my eating habits as well as when I would overeat. It occurred to me that I was really eating out of habit and boredom. I practiced all summer eating less at family functions and found that I had just as much fun, if not more fun eating less. As I progressed through the process, I started focusing not on the food I would miss, but the activities I am missing out on now due to my weight. While everyone else is on the beach, on a walk, on a bike ride...I am sitting alone. I want to be the one out there having the fun! I found that food is not the center of my life anymore. I eat now for fuel, not for pleasure. If you have the surgery, you won't be able to eat much without getting sick, or your stomach hurting, so it is a tool to use to break more of those bad habits. I am nervous, but looking forward to doing all those things I have been unable to do. Can't wait to ride a bike again!

I backed away from this decision twice before finally making the decision to proceed. So we all understand your apprehension.

You have to be ready; especially in the mind.

The advantage of having waited for me is all the procedures have been dramatically improved in the past decade and the risk has gone way down.

I am now post op 9 months and at goal. I am doing fine.

Yes, you will go through a psych evaluation, a sleep evaluation, a nutritional evaluation, attend meetings before surgery and listen to others that are pre-surgical and also hearing for post op folks.

You may choose to proceed. You may choose to hold off for awhile.

I CAN TELL YOU EMPHATICALLY, THIS IS THE BEST DECISION I HAVE MADE IN MY LIFE FINALLY!!!!

Ralph

its only normal to have second and sometimes third thoughts it a big lifestyle change. listen to all your Doctors and advisers and they will help you change your thought process to food. I am 5 months post surgery (R-N-Y) and my wife has to remind me to eat dinner sometimes lol . I am very happy with my life changing experience you will be also ....stay strong and good luck

Back