• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

violated

So, I'm 70 years old, though I still have the manic energy of a much younger person. My voice is still reminiscent of a teen.

But I'm poor, with an income of $877 a month, no food stamps. The only federal benefit I get is Section 8 housing, but a third of my income goes to rent. I worked my ass off all my life and that's what the feds decide is all I deserve from MY SSI fund.

This shit adds to my depression and I spend a lot of time immobilized and isolating.

Seattle Housing does occasional inspections. They are required to notify us so we can prepare and be present.

A few days ago without notice, the inspector stopped by. I didn't even have underpants on, just a t-shirt. I had emailed about the uupcoming inspection, explaining I had been sick and needed a two-week window to get in shape. My lower back injury had made bending over and carrying things impossible. I wanted the time also so I could use the energy to purge. I was filling a donation box.

I told him I had ready contacted SHA, that I couldn't be inspected at this time. He said something rude and threatening and walked away.

He probably earns $45-50k per year.
I make less than $10k.
What's the ordeal, snoopy? Have I ruined your day?

I immediately got on the phone with my mental health worker. We hung up so she could make some bureaucratic calls.

She phoned back to tell me there was nothing she could do. This inspector had also been in a lot of places with COVID. I haven't even allowed my best friend or my son inside since COVID.

Am I paranoid? Who can say. NO ONE understands this pandemic, and I heard a new strain was just detected today.

I have the right to be afraid. A huge percentage of Americans still refuse to be vaccinated.

Anyway, I ran errands and visited the laundry today. I set off two bug bombs before I left, so I couldn't come home for 4 hours.

When I returned, there was a bottle of Purell on the chair outside my door. Once inside, I realized management had unlocked my door and allowed him in to inspect my home.

I can't tell you how humiliated I feel, and betrayed by everyone involved. I'm probably going to get a very bad letter, possibly terminating me from the program. I will be homeless.

How does this make any sense. I actually sobbed for the first time in a long time. This was SO WRONG. I've been raped, and this felt identical.

I began having long-managed suicidal urges. I considered going to the ER on the bus and allowing myself to be admitted. I've been in an emotional care facility to save my life five times in 30 years. It doesn't really help.

The roots of my self-destructive urges go back to my violently abusive childhood. It's an incurable disease but by recognizing the dynamic, I can choose living by getting professional support.

A big part of my capacity for joy was taken from me from the day I was born, by bad people who had no shame about beating a child, telling her she's ugly, stupid, worthless.

But this isn't a pity party. I've developed a strong inner parent and a happy inner child because my survival instinct was strong. I moved 150 miles away from my siblings in order to not be hurt by their denial. "Oh, you're making this up..." they'd say. They were in the fucking ROOM when it happened, they witnessed it, then they were also beaten.

It's too much for one life, but see, my soul is strong and NO ONE can kill it.

Except me.

That's why after being violated today I have been repairing the damage, always with an eye to believing in myself, and so much gratitude for this group. The horrors we've had to endure... and yet here we are, together, supporting each other, even arguing or opining and overlooking sometimes.

I truly love you all. I may not be able to share that one-on-one, but I do. I've been here for hours now, feeling your many embraces. This may only be a virtual group, but life would be hard, so hard, if we weren't here for each other.

OMG Diane, my heart is aching for you, and I am feeling such anger and disgust that you could be treated this way. Since we moved into our apartment (also HUD subsidized), we have ALWAYS been given notice in writing prior to anyone entering.

How could they legally do that to you? And how helpless you must have been to find out they had been there after the fact, maybe spreading Covid all over the place. Geez. o_O

Please try to stay strong as you process all of this. For sure you are much loved here. Hang in there, and kick some a** if you must. Hugs from WV ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

What a horrible situation. They are absolutely supposed to give you notice, not that that helps after the fact. Having someone in your home, without your consent and without you being present must feel so degrading. I'm sorry it happened to you. I'm so angry for you. About this and about the abuse you had to go through as a child (and an adult).

Try to hang in there. I'm glad you're so self aware that you immediately called your mental health worker. And of course, we're here if you need to vent. Stay strong sister!

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Please make a complaint. It is a fact that you have to receive proper notice before an inspector can enter your home with or without you present. The Dept should've contacted the landlord and then he/she has the responsibility to notify you promptly of when an inspection will occur. It is also a fact that tenants can refuse inspectors to enter if they didn't get proper notice which you did not. I think the only time it is allowed is when there is an emergency or that you abandoned your premises.

Thanks, beloved friends, my best support system. I spoke with mental health worker and she called my son and he called me and... more. I've been working since 630am on This and I'm making progress.

I'm going to phone to schedule an inspection even if I'm not ready. If they fail me, I'll just keep working. Once I clear junk from the floor, I'll let AVERY vacuum.

I've been sorting because I have a disorder of some sort that makes me anal-retentive about the order things MUST be done.

Anyway, this is making for a dark day, but not black. I see light everywhere. I have an Olympics gold medal in Hope.

I'm calling the inspection scheduler and have her send him back.

If I fail inspection I'll be given two weeks, with a list of violations to fix. These can be as small as putting a cover over an electrical outlet or moving a chair six inches from a wall.

Thank Biden I can't be evicted, even if I failed to pay rent, which I would NEVER do.

The worst thing is I'm cloaked in shame.

I have the power to change this.

You don't need to feel ashamed. There are a LOT of people everywhere who are going through some things. Add in a pandemic and depression, and it can be hard to get up in the morning, much less do anything as productive as a deep clean. We ALL avoid certain activities. It's just unfortunate that he decided to check up on you while you're in your avoidance phase. I personally need to wash the walls, paint, clean the carpets, re-seal the shower doors .. The list goes on and on, no matter how much you do in your home. So, give yourself a pass for the past and move on from here, shame free.

I think I said this before, but Missy, I love you

I'm allowing myself to crawl, as I cannot walk or run

I did receive a notice in August but I assumed it was COVID-canceled

Thank you so much for your support.

I'm in the process of rescheduling.

YOU all know me. You know my baseline. Right now, I'm feeling ambushed.

I was all excited because I'm starting the panniculectomy process, and it's such a huge surgery, I have to stockpile food and water. I'm approved for home healthcare so I'll be using that.

But first, I need to declutter, clean the fridge and stove while I can, while encumbered by a back brace.

More important, I need perspective. My bipolar mind is shoving me off the hill, into a bottomless canyon.

(((((((((Diane)))))))))W
What an awful experience. I would be furious too, that was so uncalled for. They should never have gone in without a notice of a time frame when to be expected. I can't seem to come up with the right words, I keep erasing what I write, so I will just send my love and support and remind you how much you are loved n this group.

YOU ARE all so special to me. We share a common illness---obesity--- for which we had or will have surgery. In that way we are truly equal.

I visited the assistant manager, my therapist called back to say she could do anything as she'd been told to stay Out of it by SHA. I called Avery to ask him to stop by after work and help me. I did a little cleaning and prepping to clean, my back is killing me... but I win, because I didn't curl up into a ball and allow everyone to kick me into the goal posts.

You're all so beautiful. Your words consoled and empowered me. My focus is on cleaning, which is kind of cool, because I've been wanting to showcase my pretty, mismatched dishes.

So I'm taking the power away from AHA and giving it to me. Housing discrimination is a civil rights violation, so I have the Bill of Rights behind me.

Love you SO MUCH. I'm cool. Don't worry one more second about me. I'm a winner.:cool:

Not only that there should be a legal representative called an ombudsman when you have a complaint. Last option contact your congressman and senator and file a complaint through them housing authority is a federal program administered by state so contact both sets of congressman and senators and state your case.

Again, thanks for all your loving support. I'm not eager to go through all the hoops. I did that when my little bro was in the hospital for 81 days. One minute I was hiking a high peak in the North Cascades wilderness. The next, I was in cellular range heading home with a dozen frantic calls that my brother had been airlifted to a Seattle hospital with a brain bleed. I slept in chairs, in the visitors room and once they even let me sleep in an empty bed in the ICU. I barely left his side, and his wife... The word hillbilly must have been coined for her. I watched his docs writing him off one symptom at a time. But Harborview is the Northwest's major trauma center and I was the only family who lived in Seattle. The ombudsman knew me well. I bought her a gift to thank her--a mobile of glass birds floating over her desk.

He managed to live after many coma and surgeries. He went home disabled, and died 9 years later--a life barely worth living.

My problem is nothing compared to that, and I'm making necessary medical contacts, mostly to deal with my depression. Now my goal is to get in the best possible shape so the surgery I want will be performed.

The housing flak is just an annoyance. Since it happened, I'm looking at the big picture. I'm protected by the presidential edict and by the time it expires, I'll be in great shape. and regardless of SHA, who my managers hate, everything will turn out fine.

The new wrinkle is that my neighbors downstairs just moved out,and apparently, all their cockroaches have decided to move upstairs with me.

Tomorrow I'm getting everything I need to bomb them back to the stone age. there'll be no cracking my door while the bombs are going off. I'll leave a note on the door and then go out to a nice beach spot, maybe across the road from Eddie and Jill Vedder. I didn't realize they lived there. I've been going there for years. I already contacted SHA but I'm told I can't ask them for any kind of accommodation.

I called and rescheduled.

I'll be posting, but it's happening, and contracturally, I have already given my power to them. It's like blackmail, but as some of you know, when you enter a deal with the devil, you need to get fireproof, fast.

I still think I'm one of the most fortunate low-income Americans around. And if they fuck with me, I've got the Housing Justice Project on speed dial.

But I'm not descending into pessimism. I'm keeping my affirmations close, reading the stories here, and believing in my power and resourcefulness.

Love you all.

Last edited:
Again, thanks for all your loving support. I'm not eager to go through all the hoops. I did that when my little bro was in the hospital for 81 days. One minute I was hiking a high peak in the North Cascades wilderness. The next, I was in cellular range heading home with a dozen frantic calls that my brother had been airlifted to a Seattle hospital with a brain bleed. I slept in chairs, in the visitors room and once they even let me sleep in an empty bed in the ICU. I barely left his side, and his wife... The word hillbilly must have been coined for her. I watched his docs writing him off one symptom at a time. But Harborview is the Northwest's major trauma center and I was the only family who lived in Seattle. The ombudsman knew me well. I bought her a gift to thank her--a mobile of glass birds floating over her desk.

He managed to live after many coma and surgeries. He went home disabled, and died 9 years later--a life barely worth living.

View attachment 4615

My problem is nothing compared to that, and I'm making necessary medical contacts, mostly to deal with my depression. Now my goal is to get in the best possible shape so the surgery I want will be performed.

The housing flak is just an annoyance. Since it happened, I'm looking at the big picture. I'm protected by the presidential edict and by the time it expires, I'll be in great shape. and regardless of SHA, who my managers hate, everything will turn out fine.

The new wrinkle is that my neighbors downstairs just moved out,and apparently, all their cockroaches have decided to move upstairs with me.

Tomorrow I'm getting everything I need to bomb them back to the stone age. there'll be no cracking my door while the bombs are going off. I'll leave a note on the door and then go out to a nice beach spot, maybe across the road from Eddie and Jill Vedder. I didn't realize they lived there. I've been going there for years. I already contacted SHA but I'm told I can't ask them for any kind of accommodation.

I called and rescheduled.

I'll be posting, but it's happening, and contracturally, I have already given my power to them. It's like blackmail, but as some of you know, when you enter a deal with the devil, you need to get fireproof, fast.

I still think I'm one of the most fortunate low-income Americans around. And if they fuck with me, I've got the Housing Justice Project on speed dial.

But I'm not descending into pessimism. I'm keeping my affirmations close, reading the stories here, and believing in my power and resourcefulness.

Love you all.
“Roach dr “look it up. It works. My son’s stuff from Germany came with them. I had serious problem it works

YOU ARE all so special to me. We share a common illness---obesity--- for which we had or will have surgery. In that way we are truly equal.

I visited the assistant manager, my therapist called back to say she could do anything as she'd been told to stay Out of it by SHA. I called Avery to ask him to stop by after work and help me. I did a little cleaning and prepping to clean, my back is killing me... but I win, because I didn't curl up into a ball and allow everyone to kick me into the goal posts.

You're all so beautiful. Your words consoled and empowered me. My focus is on cleaning, which is kind of cool, because I've been wanting to showcase my pretty, mismatched dishes.

So I'm taking the power away from AHA and giving it to me. Housing discrimination is a civil rights violation, so I have the Bill of Rights behind me.

Love you SO MUCH. I'm cool. Don't worry one more second about me. I'm a winner.:cool:
You ARE a winner Diane and an AMAZING person!!

And your cleaning out and organizing has inspired me to get off my butt and clean out. Since my computer is down I am using the time spent on it to get things done!!

You will come through this on top. I am, as usual, amazed and inspired by the way you acknowledge your serious issues and your natural reactions to them, then pull yourself out of that dark place of near despair and reach for the light. It's such a learning experience for me.

Wow! Judy is so correct. You def are a winner, Wonder Woman, and roach fighter extraordinare! We're here for you like a forest of strong shoulders to lean on, cry on if you'd like, and lift you up above the trees whenever we can.

YOU guys! You're gonna make me cry.

There are so many people in worse straits. I hope we all reach out here in this group and outside the door.

I can feel myself growing stronger every day. I just got an amazing pair of breaks from housing and the apartment management.

The manager said the last thing they'd want is for me to move out.

And where I live is the perfect access to West Seattle, which is like saying I live on the border of Greenwich village or Haight-Ashbury. Everyone wants to live here but no vacancies!

I worry too much.

Back