• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vitamin deficiencies

Hello :) I am scheduled for VSG on July 7th. I had my pre op lab work done a couple months ago and was deficient in some areas (primarily vitamin d, c, zinc and iron). I was started on a multivitamin at that time however they won't be rechecking my labs prior to surgery. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation? Do these deficiencies commonly resolve after surgery with supplements? Thank you in advance for any insight?

It is normal for them to check for deficiencies before surgery so they can put you on supplements to address anything that is off. I don't recall having a recheck of labs right before surgery but I might have and for sure they will check it afterwards. Hopefully if all the supplements are doing their job, you should be good. If not they will add on whatever additional supplements as needed. Good luck with your surgery!

My doctor told me I'd have to take two multivitamins a day for the rest of my life.

Okay. I can do that, and more.

I did need to take vitamin D before surgery. The surgeon just told me to stop a day or two before and never checked my blood again. I was told to start taking them again when I could. for me was about 2 to 3 weeks after. I will get my blood done right before the 4 month check up so they will tell me than if I need to take more I guess. Good luck with your surgery.

Most likely you'll be asked to take some supplementation after surgery. The VSG isn't significantly malabsorptive, so it will depend on your diet and what supplements you take, plus/minus your genetics/biology that processes such things.

Basically, there's probably no way to know until after surgery and they do blood work at your checkups.

I'm currently not taking any supplements and my vitamin levels were perfect when recently checked, but it's something I'll keep an eye on for the rest of my life, as things can change. There's no perfect answer when it comes to how each person's body is going to react and adjust after surgery.

It is normal for them to check for deficiencies before surgery so they can put you on supplements to address anything that is off. I don't recall having a recheck of labs right before surgery but I might have and for sure they will check it afterwards. Hopefully if all the supplements are doing their job, you should be good. If not they will add on whatever additional supplements as needed. Good luck with your surgery!
Thank you!

I did need to take vitamin D before surgery. The surgeon just told me to stop a day or two before and never checked my blood again. I was told to start taking them again when I could. for me was about 2 to 3 weeks after. I will get my blood done right before the 4 month check up so they will tell me than if I need to take more I guess. Good luck with your surgery.
Thank you for the input! They told me to stop all vitamins/supplements a week prior and I think the first blood work is 3 weeks post op. I just always worry about absorption problems :(

Most likely you'll be asked to take some supplementation after surgery. The VSG isn't significantly malabsorptive, so it will depend on your diet and what supplements you take, plus/minus your genetics/biology that processes such things.

Basically, there's probably no way to know until after surgery and they do blood work at your checkups.

I'm currently not taking any supplements and my vitamin levels were perfect when recently checked, but it's something I'll keep an eye on for the rest of my life, as things can change. There's no perfect answer when it comes to how each person's body is going to react and adjust after surgery.
Thank you! So true... it's one of those unknowns that can vary so much from person to person. Hopefully the vitamins i'm currently taking will set me up for some success with my levels if I continue them after surgery :)

I had the privilege of being in a 7-year University of Washington study after my RYGB in 2007. The vampires! They took so much blood, I thought I was going to die!

And of course, there were dozens of other tests, as well. A nutritionist was part of it, too. The study is online somewhere. But the current head of surgery is here:

Long-term Weight-Loss Seen with Gastric Bypass - Department of Surgery

My advice to anyone having the surgery is, Make sure you cover all your bases and be 100% compliant with your post-op instructions.

We are here to support you, not to give medical advice. I've read many posts from people who had nightmarish experiences afterward.

Most questions asked here should be asked of your doctor and bariatric team. And you should have an annual exam specifically to check out your revised digestive process, because you can be headed to malnutrition while showing no real signs.

If your doctor doesn't give you a comprehensive plan, or tells you you dont need to augment with supplements, it may be time to find a new doctor.

Think of supplements like chicken soup for a cold: it couldn't hurt!

I live in MN, everybody here is deficient in vit d. Prior to surgery I was very very low in vit d and b. I started on that almost a full year before surgery once that was discovered. I did have blood test fairly close to surgery and the first draw post surgery they took about 12 viles. I continue to take both vit d and b along with a multi vit amd calcium. I do not take the multi vit with iron like recommended...I will puke it up with the strong iron taste. My blood has been fine if not a bit above average post surgery. There are days I miss- if I forget them at home and leave town or fall asleep on the couch after work but 95% of the time they are taken consistently.

I had the privilege of being in a 7-year University of Washington study after my RYGB in 2007. The vampires! They took so much blood, I thought I was going to die!

And of course, there were dozens of other tests, as well. A nutritionist was part of it, too. The study is online somewhere. But the current head of surgery is here:

My advice to anyone having the surgery is, Make sure you cover all your bases and be 100% compliant with your post-op instructions.

We are here to support you, not to give medical advice. I've read many posts from people who had nightmarish experiences afterward.

Most questions asked here should be asked of your doctor and bariatric team. And you should have an annual exam specifically to check out your revised digestive process, because you can be headed to malnutrition while showing no real signs.

If your doctor doesn't give you a comprehensive plan, or tells you you dont need to augment with supplements, it may be time to find a new doctor.

Well, I can't have calcium nor can I take Iron due to a very high Ferritin Level. The only suppliment I take now is 50,000 IU of Vit D 2x a week. Don't say you need to augment with supplements. My doctor is well aware of my limitations with supplements and has no concerns for me post-op. Not all of us can take supplements. Supplements to some of us aren't like Chicken Soup. They can hurt. And you're the one that said you don't give medical advice here. I see you don't practice what you preach. May be time for me to just leave this group since you seem to know more than the medical profession.

Suggesting supplements isn't medical advice, although it was a requirement my surgeon and nutritionist gave me 14 years ago. But it is your absolute right to reject anything with which you disagree.

However, it's not necessary to insult anyone in this public forum. You can message a member directly and have a civil discussion, or simply make a crticism.

One of the reasons this group has been such a great resource for such a long time is that we show one another respect, even if we disagree.

I wish you all the best on your journey to find answers specific to your physiology. Sorry you didnt find that here.

So this is where the comment about supplements in my thread came from. I am sad that the person didn’t understand that supplements are worked out between dr and patient. My main supplements are pre/pro biotics, D3, and biotin. I am not complaining.

My doctor ran labs at the time of initial consult, which showed me low on vitamin D3 and B12, which were added. I have to have labs done this week as well, one week before my surgery.

I was told I would have to have labs done again at 6 months, and then yearly for the rest of my life. Not a big deal for me, better safe than sorry.

Back