• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vitamins causing stomach upset

Jodle

Its been 7 days since my surgery, and I just chewed my first vitamins, and I’m having quite a bit of stomach pain/a good stomach ache. I drank 1 oz of water after, as that is all I’m allowed at this point- I’m still on a liquid diet for two more weeks. Any tips to make them go down easier—
Thanks—

Chewable vitamins were impossible for me! I tried every brand I could find and they are all HORRIBLE!
I ended up reaching out to my team because I just couldn't eat them, I even tried "vitamin shakes" and couldn't stand the consistency after surgery!
My surgeon cleared me to swallow capsules and/or pills earlier than normal as long as I could get them down ok.
I had no issues so luckily I have been taking capsules since about 2 weeks post-op!
Try reaching out, maybe they can work with you also?

Try a patch vitamin. It's been almost a year since my surgery and that's what I have to use. The chewables and vitamins tear up my stomach.
My team is 100% against the patches. Apparently they do not have a very good success rate.
If it is working for you, woohoo. That is great! I wanted to go that route, but following the advise and direction of my team is important for me to stay on course. After all, if I trusted them to do surgery and care for me I need to trust their instinct and directions throughout the journey as well.

Its been 7 days since my surgery, and I just chewed my first vitamins, and I’m having quite a bit of stomach pain/a good stomach ache. I drank 1 oz of water after, as that is all I’m allowed at this point- I’m still on a liquid diet for two more weeks. Any tips to make them go down easier—
Thanks—
My team said I could wait until 2 weeks to start the vitamins. Did you take them all at once?

Tracey, you mentioned capsules. I know programs are often dissimilar, but taking a gel capsule after RYGB can cause serious damage because it doesn't break down fast enough. I was initially taking liquid vitamins, then moved to chewables but was instructed to grind them up and swallow in a spoonful of yogurt or soft food. I was told, under no circumstance, to use capsules to deliver nutrition. If you use your imagination, you can envision a spot in your digestive tubing where a gel vitamin gets stuck, and then a handful more get stuck to it. After bypass surgery, we have so little digestive enzyme, it's hard to break some foods down. Your experience has been positive, right? That's great. But for some people, breaking down a capsule can be next to impossible.

Regardless, it's safest to use chewables. I used Trader Joe's High Potency Chewables and break each wafer into tiny pieces, then chew them until they're easy to swallow in saliva. TJ's chewables have a sort of citrus note so taking them is pretty tasty. Nowadays, I cheek them until they're melted with saliva, then pulverize them in a bite or two and swallow them, super easy. But I also take stuff in capsules and gelcaps NOW... but I had to wait until my digestive system had converted to normal.

Pills can be crushed between two spoons like mom used to do, or in a mortar & pestle, or you can buy pill crushers to keep at home and in your rucksack/pocket. Since you need to take supplements after bariatric surgery, find one that works for you.

I tolerated the chewables for one week. They were so nasty. I then switched to the capsules. My doctor was fine with it. He said, if you can take Tylenol capsules (which they gave me in the hospital after surgery) you can take vitamin capsules. I took them and was nervous at first but they went down fine with no issues. I never looked back and ended up throwing those nasty chewables away. I would check with your doctor though first.

I was told the same thing as Diane about capsules. Pills in caplet form? A-Ok. But capsules don't always break down fast enough. I am on a medication that only comes in capsule form. I know 100% due to to nature of the med, that it absolutely does not always dissolve fast enough to give me the full dose. So, now I either open it and sprinkle it in a spoonful of yogurt or I just chew it up first.

Again, this is me personally. So you do you. But I would really recommend speaking to your doctor before deciding on capsules.

My team is 100% against the patches. Apparently they do not have a very good success rate.
If it is working for you, woohoo. That is great! I wanted to go that route, but following the advise and direction of my team is important for me to stay on course. After all, if I trusted them to do surgery and care for me I need to trust their instinct and directions throughout the journey as well.
I agree, much of the research ive done says the patches are not as good as the actual vitimin.

Back