• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vitamins

I haven't had bariatric surgery so I can't recommend anything from experience, but my father is a bariatric physician and he said his clinics recommend the Flintstones Chewable vitamins to their patients. I'm not sure if that is going to be too much of the "sweet tart" flavor for you though.

Thanks Pat ,I'll look into them. I just wish I could stay with the slice of life gummies I've been using but they say no it might get stuck. :(

Flintstones do NOT have the amount of vitiamins you need if you have had a RNY you need at a minium of 2 times the RDD bariatric advantage has several flavors and celebrate are the most complete. you need to have your preop labs and the current labs to know where you need to increase Vit A, B1,B12 are very important to keep in the high normal range.

I have been taking Centrum Chewables - I take 2 tablets a day. They are an orange flavor, they don't taste bad.

I am 5 yrs out of surgery, I order from drugstore.com I have been taking Natures Bounty Sublingual B-12 2500 mcg every am and Natures Plus Amimal Parade (source of Life) chewable Multi Vites 2 in the evening. Gluten free, vegetariab hypoallergenic. Haven't had any problems.

I have to say, I ordered the Opurity from Unjury Chewable, no ingredients from China....................worst thing I ever did. They are pretty big, cross between a strong vitamin flavor and sweet tart, they are really hard and do not dissolve. My tongue was sore by the time I finally spit it out. I tried to crumble the sides off with my teeth, no such luck. Never again. I have a full bottle minus 1 that ended up in the garbage.

I've had an RNY, I have been using the Celebrate and Bariatric Advantage brands. I have a couple of bottles open and take 3 tablets a day of one or the other brands. I do injectable B-12 as I was concerned about getting a sufficient amount of B-12 even with sublinguals. I'm diabetic and have in the past taken as many as 7 injections a day of insulin & other diabetic meds, now I just take the B-12 injection once a month! I'm off the insulin and only taking metformin now. Bariatric Advantage has a Vanilla that isn't tart. They also have a cholate mint, I don't like the taste of lots of types of chocolate and don't care for it, but I do like the tart ones,

I have a question. Is there a reason everyone is still on chewables? I have been taking standard vitamins for about a year now. Once your pouch is healed there shouldn't be a reason for the chewables any longer. My only exception is potassium. My potassium is a pain in my bum. My body doesn't seem to want to absorb it in pill form so I am on liquid (which is the single-most disgusting thing I have ever had to endure...should be illegal...LOL). Daily I take... C, B1, FE x 2 (am & pm), Calcium, Pre-natal x 2 (am&pm), Prilosec (1 every 3 days or so), D (comes with Calcium), Potassium, and B12 1 x week. I also drink a 30g Protein shake 2 times a day. The average Post surgical patient requires between 40g and 70g supplemental daily...to make up for the foods we can't eat to get the protein. I drink the one sold at Costco. It's thick enough that I can pour that disgusting potassium into it and can drink it without actualy tasting that nasty stuff.

My nutritionist explained to me that the chewables are used while the pouch is healing. Once it has healed, there is no reason to have to continue with chewables...unless there is a problem with absorption. What do your nutritionists say?

When I looked this u it says it is CA carbonate. My Dr said I couldn't absorb this and needed to tale CA citrate
Only. Is this only if you had the RNY?

I am 16 months out. I use Bariatric Advantage French Vanilla chewable. I like it and to me it does not taste like a sweet tart. Call them and ask for a sample. My naturopath just had my annual bloodwork done and is thrilled with my nutrient levels. I tend to use ones that are formulated for mal-absorptive individuals. Flintstones is not intended for mal-absorbtive individuals. Check with your doctor and check your bloodwork to see if what you are using is keeping you in normal nutrient levels. FYI - my pcp and other doctors know very little about vitamins and supplements and that is why I see the naturopath who is an expert on vitamins and supplements. I go once a year to the naturopath to have everything checked.

I take Flintstones + Iron, two tablets at a time twice per day. They're not delicious, but not too chalky or tart. I also take one sublingual tablet of B12 from Naturemade once per day. I used to take the GNC store brand calcium chews three times per day, but the Viactive ones are so much better tasting.

(I still take the chewables because I bought 3 bottles in a bundle/savings pack. Also, it's easy to take them anywhere without water, in the car, at my desk, etc.)

When I looked this u it says it is CA carbonate. My Dr said I couldn't absorb this and needed to tale CA citrate
Only. Is this only if you had the RNY?

I like the Bariatric choice calcium citrate chewables, carmel is my favorite, sub lingual B12 and D3. For my multi vitamin I take twin lab multi vitamin w/o Iron and twin lab Iron (ferrous fermate 36mg) that was recommend by my doctor, not the brand name but the type, twin lab is the only company I can find with the spacific Iron, I take the calcium and iron at seprate times so they don't cancel each other out, I was also told calcium citrate is absorbed by the body better than the other calciums, My daughter likes the citra cal which is also good. Luckily my doctors are very good about telling me why I should take something and if I dont take enough it all shows in the blood work and how I feel some times, I am due for a check up in a couple of months, I feel good so I hope my blood work says the same, I have been slacking off on the calcium. :cool: Tom

I take all bariatric advantage. Multi vitamins are French Vanilla. Almost a smooth flavor.
My Iron is strawberry flavored. Calcium is chocolate (not my favorite...trying another kind).
and the Sublingual B12.
All easy to take...not bad flavor.

I take all bariatric advantage. Multi vitamins are French Vanilla. Almost a smooth flavor.
My Iron is strawberry flavored. Calcium is chocolate (not my favorite...trying another kind).
and the Sublingual B12.
All easy to take...not bad flavor.

Have you tried the Calcium chews, they have chocolate, carmel, lemon and rasberry. The chewable tablets were like eating flavored chalk and they upset my stomach. The chews are like square tootsie rolls. Yummy. :cool: Tom.

I use CVS brand Spectravite Chewable (similar to Centrums chewable but cheaper) I bought the wrong Calcium. Bought Caltrate chewables. Supposed to use Calcium Citrate. Can anyone recommend any. Also bought Calciumcitrate petites ..... hah they are not so petite and am afraid to try them. I use a liquid B supplement also .... just a little dropper sublingually. My first labs were all great.

My Doc told me and actually gave me a picture chart to take chewables whenever possible, or liquid, sublingual etc. With RNY you have malabsorption issues and a whole vitamin may not be able to break down and be absorbed as well. He gave me a chart that shows sizes and if a pill is bigger than shown on the chart I should break it in half. Just need to find the right Calcium. I bought the wrong thing. Need Ca Citrate ...not Ca Carbonate.

Welcome NannyG. I take calcium chews, not too sweet but they come in 4 flavors lemon, rasberry, choclate and caremel, they are all good, I get mine from Bariatric Choice, this site also has a link to another bariatric on line store, they carry the same thing, both places are very similar in price and can be esily found by a google search of their names. My daughter also had the RnY she takes citrical pitites which is also calcium citrate. I like the chews. Good luch, it took me a few months to find the right cacium. :cool: Tom

Back