• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vitamins

TylerRo

Hi All, does anyone here take Vitamins that Are NOT Bariatric? I'm having a hard time purchasing the Bariatric ones since they're so Expensive (well, to Me they are), & then I have to take 3 tablets from one, & 2 from another. I find myself getting Depressed about the vitamins, than anything else.

My doctor put me on Flinstone chewables with iron and I take it twice a day. $6-$7 at Walmart.
Calcium I take Citracal chewables 3 times daily.
I also take B12 (Walmart) and a B complex vitamin.

Hi All, does anyone here take Vitamins that Are NOT Bariatric? I'm having a hard time purchasing the Bariatric ones since they're so Expensive (well, to Me they are), & then I have to take 3 tablets from one, & 2 from another. I find myself getting Depressed about the vitamins, than anything else.
Yo, Tyler, you are speaking my language! I hate bariatric vitamins, because they are expensive, and for another very good reason.

I had a lovely surgical nurse when I had my surgery. She knew I was on Medicare and that. She knew I was on Medicare and that I was disabled. She bought me an entire spectrum of bariatric vitamins. It was so sweet of her.

The only problem was that they were inedible. They tasted intensely like children's candy or bubblegum but about 10 times stinkier.

I needed them, so I ate them. But my poop stank to high heaven from all the artificial flavors.

In general, vitamins is supplements are not covered by the FDA, unless they promise a specific outcome or a cure.

So you don't necessarily know if a bariatric vitamin is better for you than a Flintstone vitamin. Only blood test and metabolic panels will reveal to you how well any given supplement is doing for your system. So ask your doctor to give you one. Then when you know what range you are in, you can adjust the vitamins and supplements to raise or lower the numbers as needed.

There are a few members here who have nailed supplements for their own purposes. I also feel that I have nailed supplements and have the blood tests to prove it.

But understand that there is no rubber stamp and no cookie cutter. What works for one person may not work for you. But what works for one person may work incredibly well. It may take you a couple years to get your vitamins minerals and supplements to work for you perfectly. It's trial and error. If you read through our old posts--and I don't mean old, I mean the last few months --you will find out a lot. Do that, and make an appointment with your doctor to have metabolic panel.

There is nothing more important than making sure you get the right vitamins minerals and supplements after bariatric surgery. You cannot live without supplements because food goes through your stomach too quickly and your intestine cannot absorb nutrients like it used to.

Here's my regimen, all written down and added to our latest resources section.

Taking vitamins and minerals is certainly no picnic. You have to make sure you dose correctly, you never take meds closer two apart, you do not take minerals together, so you wait 2 hours after you take your calcium before you take your iron, or vice versa oh, and some medications like thyroid and Lovastatin need to be taken on an empty stomach. And you don't take your thyroid medication with an iron supplement . This is just something you learn. Then to make life super-easy, once a month you fill up 30 containers with a day's dose dosage of the pills you need. If you have memorized the various restrictions, all you have to do is pop that cap four times a day and take out the appropriate medication at the appropriate time. Here's how I do it:

20190528_150234.jpg
20190528_150057.jpg

I just had to purchase iron supplements because I found out the iron in my bariatric vitamin is poorly absorbed by bypass patients. They told me to switch to iron ferrous fumerate. They were cheap on Amazon.

Thank you, Annie! I'm so glad you mentioned Ferrous fumerate There is a vast difference in quality between that and ferrous sulfate, which is what's in most iron supplements. Ferrous fumerate is in prenatal vitamins & I read a lot about it 40 years ago when I was having my baby. NEVER EVER take ferrous sulfate if you can help it. This is an issue worth writing to vitamin companies about because there is such a huge difference in benefits between the two. Sulfate is also the one that turns your poop greenish-black & is irritating to pass. Be like Annie! Order them over the internet if you have to, but if people don't tell the supplement companies that they are boycotting supplements like ferrous sulfate, they will never change. I tell big corporations all the time that I won't buy from them if they don't sell xxx instead of xxx.

This reminds me of a funny. Did any of you ever have the experience of going to McDonald's drive-thru & when you got to the window & they got your money, they pointed at a parking space where you should go & wait for your order to be filled? Nobody else was doing that. My son was about 6 or 7 years old at the time. I was the customer & I was being treated like... well, like cattle. So when they asked me to move, I said, "No thanks. I'll just sit here & wait for my food." I sometimes saw people being served out of order, latecomers getting their dinner before me. But that was beside the point. I paid. Give me what I paid for. It hadn't been a problem for decades while McDonalds was serving Billions & Billions of people, as their sign bragged. Sometimes they got the manager. But I never budged. I said, "Every time I come here, this is where I'm going to wait for my food. If you don't like that, I suggest you redesign your system so customers are not inconvenienced." My kid used to laugh & laugh & tell stories about his mom, who refused to be treated like that & who made McDonald's crawl to a stop & reconsider its reputation for serving "Fast Food."

Y'all may not find it as funny, but believe me, it was a political act. They could be fair, or they could put up with me. The alternative was that I wouldn't do business with them anymore. The list is long & painful, the names of the people with whom I do not do business--
Walgreens, Walmart, McDonald's... I've never even set foot in a Walmart in my life. Never had a Snapple. Refused to listen to any music by Micchael Jackson way back when. Anytime I saw injustice or unfairness, I tossed the tea in Boston Harbor & refused to do business with oppressors.

Anyway, if you were in my car, you either would have been embarrassed or amused! I would hope you at least understood that people need to stand up for themselves, which was what I was doing.

Funny? Not Funny?

I said, "Every time I come here, this is where I'm going to wait for my food. If you don't like that, I suggest you redesign your system so customers are not inconvenienced." My kid used to laugh & laugh & tell stories about his mom, who refused to be treated like that & who made McDonald's crawl to a stop & reconsider its reputation for serving "Fast Food."

Y'all may not find it as funny, but believe me, it was a political act. They could be fair, or they could put up with me. The alternative was that I wouldn't do business with them anymore. The list is long & painful, the names of the people with whom I do not do business--
Walgreens, Walmart, McDonald's... I've never even set foot in a Walmart in my life. Never had a Snapple. Refused to listen to any music by Micchael Jackson way back when. Anytime I saw injustice or unfairness, I tossed the tea in Boston Harbor & refused to do business with oppressors.

Too funny Diane, you're totally justified too! Just a quick comment about Snapple, the rumors regarding the KKK and Operation Rescue were just that, rumors. There is no truth to them whatsoever and Snapple has been trying to dispel them for years:

Ads by Snapple Deride Rumors

No I'm not a shareholder, ;) I'm a loyal customer who would be lost without the diet lemon tea now that soda is out of my life! :)

Too funny Diane, you're totally justified too! Just a quick comment about Snapple, the rumors regarding the KKK and Operation Rescue were just that, rumors. There is no truth to them whatsoever

Hi Brenda, thank you for your comment. I didn't know anything about the rumors you just listed. Didn't hear about them at all. The reason I boycotted Snapple was in part because they lied in their commercials and they made a celebrity of the woman who was pitching their product, as if she really was the inventor or CEO of Snapple, which I think is what she was claiming. But there was another reason for which I am drawing a blank. It was so long ago. But I remember feeling very passionate about it and to this day have never had a Snapple. No big loss, right? Like I need another artificially flavored drink to put in my body.

Another thing I boycott is Facebook. I was an early subscriber and one day they sent me notices saying that they were going to use my photo albums in my profile. My photo albums were private. No way did I want people spying on me, stalking me to look at my photos and learn about my life. So I tried to unsubscribe. I gave the order and they wrote back saying, Well we're going to ask you to stay for awhile, just to make sure you have a chance to cool off. I told them to unsubscribe me immediately after that, and they wouldn't. I could not find the button or command to unsubscribe because they had hidden it back in those days. I had to find out how to do it on the internet , and when I did I found thousands of other people who had tried to unsubscribe and Facebook stopped them from doing it . In the meantime all the government websites for putting logos for Facebook on their pages, which effectively put MySpace out of business. This may not seem like a big deal, but they are not supposed to favor one for-profit business over another, and there were a whole bunch of other social networking sites who couldn't get the time of day. It is illegal for our government to advertise on behalf of a private business. It would be like the Department of Energy putting an ad on their page for an Arab Sheik and not charging him a dime.

And aside from, look at what Mark Zuckerberg did, giving out private information, allowing Cambridge Analytical to influence elections in America. This is not a myth. Mark Zuckerberg will never get another enny of my money. And personally I think he should be deported to Russia.

one of our challenges in America is that people do not understand the separation between government and private enterprise. I have always been political active, ever since the Vietnam War and before that I March for civil rights. In the Seventies I worked for women's equality. In the 80s I worked for the anti movement. We actually had a profound affect in Washington State, and I am one of the people who was written about in the papers and in a book about the so-called ratepayer revolt. We formed PAC and overthrew (elected) 16 of the 23 PUD Commissioners who were running for reelection, bringing in fresh blood that allowed for several nuclear power plants to be shut down. That is important to me. I lived upwind from Hanford, where the world War II atomic and hydrogen and hydrogen bombs were built. that may be why I ended up getting thyroid disease. There is a higher percentage of thyroid thyroid disease and thyroid cancer in that corridor where the radiation is blown North across Central Washington State than anywhere else in America. Blah blah blah. I'm an activist. These are just my opinions. We can't live in the United States without kowtowing to corporations. That is just the way it has been set up. I'll shut up now and with any luck, I will never mention it again. I just wanted to explain my reasons for being kind of a radical about some things.

The reason I boycotted Snapple was in part because they lied in their commercials and they made a celebrity of the woman who was pitching their product, as if she really was the inventor or CEO of Snapple, which I think is what she was claiming. But there was another reason for which I am drawing a blank. It was so long ago. But I remember feeling very passionate about it and to this day have never had a Snapple. No big loss, right? Like I need another artificially flavored drink to put in my body.

Another thing I boycott is Facebook.

Ah, ok gotcha on Snapple. I agree with you 100% about Facebook. Never had an account, always disliked the concept of people being able to look me up without permission.

Hi I just bought all my vitamins from Vitamin shoppe and the NuLife Advanced Bariatric multi chewable was the cheapest I found but you're going to need more iron and more b12. I found the iron made by Nature's Plus in a chewable as well and the b12 in a disolvable called B Dots. Not that expensive but I only bought a 2 month supply. I already had calcium Tums 1000s and liquid vitamin D3. Note that you might not need this combo of vitamins if you're not going to take the multi from NuLife. Other brands of multis might have enough iron and b12. I saw my nutritionist two days ago and she said if I stay with this multi I needed the others and she also said must RYGB patients need all 4 pills plus the D3. It's def not fun chewing all these pills, I'd rather be chewing food but this is the choice we made. Let me know if you find them cheaper. Good luck.

Hey everyone, I just posted this to another thread but seems relevant here too:

My nutritionist has me taking: “Bariatric Fusion Complete Chewable Multivitamin and Mineral Supplement”.

I take it 4 times a day but that’s all I need to take. No tracking doses of additional vitamins/supplements. I love that convenience!

If your nutritionist agrees that this would meet your needs, you can order it right from Amazon for about $30/month (again, convenient):

https://www.amazon.com/Bariatric-Fusion-Multivitamin-Supplement-Gastrectomy/dp/B0170OBPGQ/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=bariatric+fusion+chewable+vitamins+cherry&qid=1563075589&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&th=1

They are a little chalky (like tums) but I've gotten used to that. I like the wild cherry flavor best.

I just started getting my bariatric vitamins from Celebratevitamins.com or you can call the number 877)424-1953 they are not as expensive as others. I am currently on a fixed income and this company offers financial assist for those that qualify its just a suggestion but it was very helpful to me in my situation. they supply you with your multi , iron , calcium for three months at time for a year on the assisted program at the end of the year you have to re apply, if your surgeon or nutritionalist requires additional supplements they do not cover those you will have purchase those yourself which I will be doing but still this helpful for those that cant I hope this helpful to you and anyone else that in the same situation as I am in.

Last edited:
Back